Why become a member? Read more... ×
ubit

Who did you see live last?

I first saw Theatre of Hate at The Rainbow on the 11th April 1981, in fact here’s the poster...

7E20C45E-7F28-4E8F-B585-1731E40546D2.jpeg

...three quid for five bands! The second time was this evening in Southend, they were excellent. Kirk Brandon’s voice was as strong and as high as it was thirty seven years ago, I was mighty impressed. Stan Stammers’ bass rig here, apologies for the pic, blue light innit.

D39C06FA-8217-4FA8-9BDC-8CA05E6C196A.jpeg

7B468314-EA08-4FB3-9F63-81B449D4402B.jpeg

A great night.

Edited by Frank Blank

Saw the fabulous Kate Bush tribute 'Cloudbusting' last night at the Half Moon in Putney with the wonderful original Kate Bush bassist/engineer Del Palmer guesting on bass! Beautiful, emotional music.... sublime basslines...... just perfect!

20181216_210400.jpg

20181216_213018.jpg

20181216_221930.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 10:28, cetera said:

Yep, those freebies can be very persuasive ;)

They would have to be for me, had to avert my gaze from the bass player when the buzzard came out. They look bad enough in photo's but in real life... yuck. Each to their own I guess.

Edited by KevB

Madness last night in Brighton.

Bedders was superb as always, no flash just great playing. Very nice red P bass.

Jools Holland Big Band on Thursday. Sublime stride and Honky Tonk piano, and Ruby Turner was as usual wonderful. The only blot on the proceedings? Marc Almond. The man can not sing, he could not carry a song in a bucket. What Jools sees in him is a mystery that has so far escaped me. Good gig apart from that.

A band I used to work for back in the 90s, Collapsed Lung, small but sold out crowd of 100, great vibe, great band. Here’s the rig...

1F704E06-3739-4D8D-8854-2F8F4C0033CB.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank

Just back from seeing Kyla Brox and her excellent band and a carrousel of stunning guests at the BlueFunk Rhythm & Blues Club. Kyla quite rightly won the UK blues challenge this year, and this was a fundraiser for the band's costs to travel to the European and international blues challenges next year. 

(Crowdfunder link here)

I'm incredibly lucky that Kyla and her legendary dad, Victor Brox, are local to me, I've seen them both many times, in tiny pubs as well as at the major blues festivals, solo / duo / full band, but this was something else. BlueFunk have a regular, very knowledgeable and appreciative audience, and we all knew that even by their very high standards this was something very special. Every time you thought it couldn't get better it did. Danny Blomeley on bass (Fender P) seemed a bit off his best at first, but by the end of the evening was back to his wonderful bubbly walking lines and huge dynamic range but always right for the mix. 

I'd honestly rate tonight higher than seeing Janis Joplin live in 1970. 

Emergency Exit - a female fronted punk covers band at our Harley Rally in Aviemore this year.

I'm not generally a punk music fan but these guys were so good with so much energy in the songs. 

Its amazing how many punk songs i remembered liking back in late 70's / 80's

And i was stone cold sober too so no excuses. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

50 minutes ago, doomed said:

Subhumans, at the Fleece, Bristol, last night,

FB_IMG_1547211846663.thumb.jpg.9ded0f96888850e8993660be8764cd84.jpg

FB_IMG_1547211859114.jpg

Gulp. It's thirty seven years since I saw Subhumans, brings joy to my heart that they are still going.

Edited by Frank Blank
Gulping

19 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Gukp. It's thirty seven years since I saw Subhumans, brings joy to my heart that they are still going.

I still think of them as a local band. When I moved to High Wycombe from Trowbridge in the 80s there was a garage with Subhumans graffiti'd on the side which always made me think of home :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Gulp. It's thirty seven years since I saw Subhumans, brings joy to my heart that they are still going.

It's about 38 years since I started listening to them, always been on rotation on whichever was the device of the day. Always found them to be tidy guys too.

Just now, doomed said:

It's about 38 years since I started listening to them, always been on rotation on whichever was the device of the day. Always found them to be tidy guys too.

I never owned any of their records but saw them a few times.

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

I never owned any of their records but saw them a few times.

Got to be honest I've lost count how many times I've seen them now, but I've never seen them do a bad set, not bad for a band that doesn't practice together any more.

Seen Def leppard with Cheap Trick supporting at the Glasgow Hydro. Both bands were superb and I can honestly say, the sound was the best I have ever heard in a stadium gig. Maybe it was because we had good seats. I bought them for the Mrs, as a present. Actually, a birthday present that ended up being a Valentines present as I couldn't keep it secret any longer. Great gig!