Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Dan Baird and Homemade Sin....Ex Georgia Satellites and with Warner E Hodges (Jason & The Scorchers) as his sideman........

They are simply stunning and Rock 'n' Roll is what they do :)

1 hour ago, KevB said:

Didnt know they were touring together, probably too late for me now anyway.

Sadly that was the last date of the current tour.  Both bands said they'd be on the road again soon(ish).

Pic of Spock's Beard and Dave Meros with his Fenderbacker bass.

IMG_20181210_212211.thumb.jpg.9a7f55ed4bc1c70af9dadc09261abdd6.jpg

Edited by ead

Last night (Monday) - The Cadillac Three at Manchester Arena. Capacity 21,000, less than half full so maybe 8-9,000 there? Mcr loves these guys, and there was a really strong audience vibe, singing along and beaming a huge collective energy back to the band. I was  lucky enough to be watching from the side of the stage - the sound quality there was rubbish, but to see it and feel it so close to the band was a very special experience. I'll never get that as a musician (I know there are BC peeps who have) so it was all the more of a privilege. A memory to be cherished. 

Tonight (Tuesday) - Kyla Brox, probably the best blues singer in Europe if not the world, at my local om 5 minutes walk from home, singing and playing guitar ( which she only does once a year, here) for about 25 people, which was enough for the venue to feel comfortably full. Ended the night with "I'd Rather Go Blind" which had me in open unashamed floods of tears. Another memory to be cherished. 

Was anyone else at Koko in Camden last night? Took Mrs Mooseblaster along to see Charlotte Gainsbourg, who I thought was excellent. Really nice stage design, as well: squares of flourescent tubes and lots of flashing white lights; combined with the musicians all wearing white, it made it look like some of Kraftwerk-esque electronics lab.

A little peeved by a handful of people in front of us in the crowd who insisted on holding up their phones to get another photo every 30 seconds (I'm sure one guy must have taken nigh on 100 pictures over the course of that set...). But other than that nuisance I shouldn't grumble - even the sound was pretty good, at least from where I was standing.

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

A little peeved by a handful of people in front of us in the crowd who insisted on holding up their phones to get another photo every 30 seconds (I'm sure one guy must have taken nigh on 100 pictures over the course of that set...).

I’d have them shot at dawn, no blindfold.

• Like 1

Not sure if this counts but,

I took the kids to see the musical Matilda (eldest daughter is called Matilda, unless you actually try and call her that. She only answers to Tilly) in Cardiff last night. I have to say, despite it not being my sort of thing I was impressed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Was anyone else at Koko in Camden last night? Took Mrs Mooseblaster along to see Charlotte Gainsbourg, who I thought was excellent. Really nice stage design, as well: squares of flourescent tubes and lots of flashing white lights; combined with the musicians all wearing white, it made it look like some of Kraftwerk-esque electronics lab.

A little peeved by a handful of people in front of us in the crowd who insisted on holding up their phones to get another photo every 30 seconds (I'm sure one guy must have taken nigh on 100 pictures over the course of that set...). But other than that nuisance I shouldn't grumble - even the sound was pretty good, at least from where I was standing.

It's more important to prove to the Facebook world that you were there than to take in the experience don'tcha know.

Went to Hull Minster on Sunday to a carol concert hosted by The EYMS Brass Band.

Not a big fan of brass bands in general, however these guys were just amazing! Trombonist in particular was outstanding, and the leader / conductor was brilliant too, hosting proceedings with enthusiasm and humour. Very enjoyable evening, and with the added attraction of mince pies and mulled wine what's not to like?

• Like 1

Ritz in Manchester last night.  Uriah Heap supported by Von Hertzen Brothers.  Fun evening spoilt only by the poor sound mix for the VHB set.

Did start to wonder briefly whether Spinal Tap was modelled on UH not Saxon.  Very tongue in cheek show so probably Saxon after all.

I think the lineup (apart from bass due to Trevor Bolder passing away) has been reasonably stable for 10+ years but they have always had a fair number of muso's going through the ranks. Mick Box must have been the only original member for decades by now.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KevB said:

I'm off to VHB / UH tomorrow night. Fingers crossed for a decent mix, VHB deserve sound techs to do their job as they always seem to give 100% with their performances. Not seen UH for about 15 years!

Me too!
Looking forward to seeing our pal Davey Rimmer (who attended the SE Bass Bash last year) doing his thing on bass with the Heep!

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Me too!
Looking forward to seeing our pal Davey Rimmer (who attended the SE Bass Bash last year) doing his thing on bass with the Heep!

Heavy Warwick content.  Is he an endorsee?

8 hours ago, KevB said:

I think the lineup (apart from bass due to Trevor Bolder passing away) has been reasonably stable for 10+ years but they have always had a fair number of muso's going through the ranks. Mick Box must have been the only original member for decades by now.

Russell Gilbrook is an excellent drummer and a really nice guy, he has done a couple of drum clinics for my pal Dave who owns a local drum shop.

I saw Enter Shikari last night, it was a belter on all fronts. Pretty good levels too, so thank you Soundperson...

To keep it bass related, the bassist regularly switched between a HH 4 string Stingray, and a HJ 5 string Stingray (both non-roasted maple necks and boards). From what I could see in between the fresh dance moves, he had the selector switch at bridge the whole time, so I don't know why it wasn't a standard Ray setup; overall flexibility/future proofing I suppose. No pedal board (just a Boss tuner), I think it was all digital (the guitarist at least was Kemper).

Well worth it!

Just come home from a concert by a wonderful girl singer, name of Harriet.  She’s recently been on tour with Michael Bolton, and been live on Radio 2 a couple of times.  Been compared to Karen Carpenter, but deliberately sings no Carpenters' songs......

Well worth a look, IMO

Not-very-good singer-songwriter at the lower-standard of the two OMs within 5 minutes walk. It's a lovely little local community music centre, but down to earth with a bump after the highs of Monday and Tuesday (as per post above). But if we don't actively support local music and local musicians at the grass roots, the highs will never happen. 

• Like 1