Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Triumph of Death playing Hellhammer in Frankfurt and Yob playing Yob in Wiesbaden. Great gigs both, but seeing Tom playing a Hellhammer set was quite special. Sadly, The Obsessed cancelled what would have made an incredible hat-trick but it was a fantastic trip regardless. Heading abroad for gigs is rapidly becoming my favourite thing.

66677E75-B80A-478A-ACBF-2C9BD33996A1.jpeg

B8FB4D49-AD3B-4B85-9900-DDE56C0ED927.jpeg

• Like 2

Stray Cats at Hammersmith Apollo last night.  Saw Brian Setzer a few years ago when he did his big band Jump Jive and Wail stuff and his guitar playing was amazing.  Really edgy, some phenomenal licks.  So when Mrs S spotted this coming up we thought it had to be done.

Setzer's playing last night was slicker with the spikes and bumps smoothed out.  More Bill Hayley than Stray Cats IMO.  And once you've done that to rockabilly the tunes can tend to sound much the same as each other.  Some cheesy 'spontaneous' well rehearsed, poorly delivered lines 'well, gee, Slim, whadda ya reckon - shall we play X?' type stuff didn't help.  Lee Rocker's slap bass was great - he played with energy and enthusiasm, also sang a lot - whether buy design or necessity I don't know as Setzer's voice was giving out fairly early on.  We gave it an hour but left early.  Which meant no crush on the tube going home, which was good.

Best thing I thought was to see most of the punters in full rockabilly regalia, tattoos and hair gel.  I imagine the die hard fans would have enjoyed it regardless.

• Like 1

Tom Misch last night in Bristol, I was by some distance the oldest person there, decent enough band, far too heavy on the bass sub (what a surprise) and Misch had the personality of a lobster, but the kids seemed to love it, some chap called Loyle Carner (?) showed up as well, not a clue who he was but everyone went nuts, felt very out of place!

Edited by skidder652003

Dale Watson and his Lone Stars, at the Exchange in Bristol. This guy is phenomenal. His style is somewhere between Bakersfield and Sun Studios. He plays excellent country guitar and sings at the same time, and is also hugely entertaining. His band (drums, upright bass, pedal steel) are tight as a gnat's chuff*. The bass player was a guy called Chris Crepps, who also sang high harmonies.

*gnat's chuff - unit of measurement for the adjustment of action at the nut on certain modified guitars

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JapanAxe said:

Dale Watson and his Lone Stars, at the Exchange in Bristol. This guy is phenomenal. His style is somewhere between Bakersfield and Sun Studios. He plays excellent country guitar and sings at the same time, and is also hugely entertaining. His band (drums, upright bass, pedal steel) are tight as a gnat's chuff*. The bass player was a guy called Chris Crepps, who also sang high harmonies.

I’ve heard good things about them, sounded a great gig! Wish I’d caught them up here, maybe next time.

On 24/06/2019 at 23:43, kodiakblair said:

Yep a crackin band. Such energy and covering some great songs i'd forgotten about. Seen them several times now and if you like punk classics then this band is worth seeing.

Dave

• Like 2

Just got back from seeing Gladys Knight in Nottingham, still has the voice at 76 years old !!

Quality six piece band plus three backing singers, what I found refreshing is that she let each of the backing singers individually take centre stage at times during the concert.

An amazing thing happened while driving through Lincolnshire on the way home, we saw a shooting star 🌠 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doomed said:

Phil Anselmo & The Illegals last Thursday in Bristol, about 20mins of Illegals stuff then the remainder was Pantera.

Sounds like Phil knows what his audience wants

I've recently been listening to Pantera again for the first time in ages - it seems to suit the current hot weather

• 3 weeks later...

Babymetal at the O2, Brixton. What would have been a fantastic gig spoiled by the complete knob in front of me taking pictures literally for the entirety of the gig. Can’t help thinking he went for all the wrong reasons....

Oh well, seeing them again next Feb. 

11 hours ago, 4000 said:

Babymetal at the O2, Brixton. What would have been a fantastic gig spoiled by the complete knob in front of me taking pictures literally for the entirety of the gig. Can’t help thinking he went for all the wrong reasons....

Oh well, seeing them again next Feb. 

I've seen them at a couple of festivals - there's definitely a whiff of creepy uncle about a big chunk of the crowd

8 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I've seen them at a couple of festivals - there's definitely a whiff of creepy uncle about a big chunk of the crowd

The backing band are incredible but I just can't get my head around the three little girls screeching on about chocolate and stuff

8 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Well I’m in my 50s so on sight you’d probably think I qualify. 😂 the reality is I just love the juxtaposition of the pop tunes and intense metal.They’re just major, major fun and my favourite metal (?) band along with Manowar, which probably suggests I don’t take my metal too seriously.

(I exclude the mighty Sabbath from the above because I don’t really class them as metal. They’re just, well, Sabbath.)

15 minutes ago, ubit said:

The backing band are incredible but I just can't get my head around the three little girls screeching on about chocolate and stuff

It’s the ridiculous juxtaposition of the two that makes it work for me.  Gimme Chocolate is just monster.

12 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Living Colour at The Mill in Birmingham. Playing Vivid front to back. Just awesome musicianship as always. And by God, Doug Wimbish remains an absolute beast of a player.

A81F6469-7CE5-429D-9A34-B1173D63D13A.jpeg

Saw Living Colour with Muzz at Manchester Academy back in the day, roughly when Time’s Up was released. They were absolutely fantastic.

• Like 1