Why become a member? ×

Why do we play so loud ?

ambient

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1445438443' post='2891484']
Looking forward to not having my ears hurt during a gig, and ringing like church bells for days afterwards.
[/quote]

It is academic who is too loud. If your ears are ringing after playing you should be wearing ear plugs.

I blame John Bonham - end of discussion!

In the olden days we used 15W amps, 50W PA - drummer playing from his wrists like a jazzer.

Then we went nuts with 100W stacks and MW PA - drummer playing like the demented 2001, A Space Odyssey Ape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM6OIlreneA

Now we're back to tiny backline and good PA - drummer playing from his wrists like a jazzer.

Similar styles of music, venues and gigs.

Today the sound quality is much better. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1445438518' post='2891485']
Music should be at an 'appropriate' volume for the venue.
[/quote]

Rock has never been about what is "appropriate".

As I was told one night, if the venue isn't telling you to turn down you're not too loud.

One of my favourite gigs was playing in a duo with an acoustic Ragtime guitarist, but I also loved playing with the Led Zep band. When I saw the barman at the back of the room taking all the bottles off the glass shelves I knew my rig was working as intended.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1445439245' post='2891494']

Rock has never been about what is "appropriate".

As I was told one night, if the venue isn't telling you to turn down you're not too loud.

One of my favourite gigs was playing in a duo with an acoustic Ragtime guitarist, but I also loved playing with the Led Zep band. When I saw the barman at the back of the room taking all the bottles off the glass shelves I knew my rig was working as intended.
[/quote]

Well then that was appropriate for that venue. ;)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1445440660' post='2891509']
I'm always left shaking my head in disbelief when I see bands micing up the drumkit for a small pub gig, yes people want to hear the music but they also want to be able to order drinks at the bar and have a shouted conversation as well.
[/quote]

Yep. If you want people dancing down the front with the band, turn down. If you want them lined up against the far wall, turn up.

In my experience its usually because the drummer is too loud and so the guitarist turns up so he can hear the guitar and then the bass turns up so he can hear the bass and then the drummer plays louder because everyone else has turned up and the cycle repeats.

So the drummer normally initiates it, but the whole band is to blame because rather than deal with the actual problem (get the drummer to play quieter, and set your amps up to maximise the sound heard without increasing the volume) they all make it worse.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1445445388' post='2891555']
My band are only rehearsing at the mo, first gig in December.

We have the most unusual problem of not being able to hear the guitars!

Loud drummer, bass and vocals sitting nicely, and no matter how much we ask the guitarists to turn up we can't hear them.

Must be a first.
[/quote]

Maybe turn down to meet them ?

😊

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Sadly, for me, the sensible bands seem to have faded away and the loud ones are the guys that are still gigging."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If the 'loud' ones are still out there......? ?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](no comment needed)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

For me, play to the level of the drums - and try and make sure that the drummer doesn`t go full pelt on everything. Although my band is punk we`re not particularly loud - full on yes, but not overbearingly loud. I`ve been in bands where the guitars turn up ridiculously loud cos "its rock" or the drums do rim-shots all the time. I`ve also been in bands where everything gets miked up for a "better balance of sound", but invariably the one in control of all that then boosts it all too much.

I saw a band a few months ago that were good, but were far too loud. The singer could hardly be heard. The guitarists admitted they turned up loud cos they were drunk and it was fun. The crowd slowly emptied across their set as most couldn`t take that volume all night. Unless they`re dedicated fans, that`s what happens.

Our drummer is a laptop. Makes life a lot easier! :D This is interesting though as i've been seriously considering getting rid of my 'big' amp as a i can't practically use it loud enough to get 'my' sound out of it and our upcoming 'bigish' gig has backline anyway. As we mostly play comedy nights, my little warwick BC15 is a bit too loud sometimes, where the lyrics are the most important thing so 'quieter' means 'hear the joke'... :D

I've noticed that when people have paid for tickets, they are usually respectful of the music and are quiet. This allows music at relatively low volume to be heard.

On the other hand when people have not paid for tickets, they tend to talk over the music and you need to play at a decent volume to be noticed.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1445460489' post='2891726']
When you go to a gig you should be listening to the band, not talking.
[/quote]

I think talking about the music, saying "that was nice", or I liked that song", or maybe "the bass player is good isn't he ?", is ok.

:)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1445461097' post='2891735']
Some people really have a strange view of their importance.

We're not there to force people to listen to us.

If people don't want to listen to the music we're playing then I suggest it's not their fault.
[/quote]
You go Tim.....!! Champion of the patrons......!!!!