Why become a member? ×

Why a 5 string?

ChunkyMunky

just switched over to a 5ver and i love it, i got it so it opened up the range of songs we can do and it gives a different feel the low notes when played on the B, more heft
though finding it a bit of a headf*** changing from 4 which i have played for 20 odd years, still occasionally think the low B is the E which obviously doesnt sound great when you get it wrong :lol:

I switched for a couple of years, and in the end, the little bonuses it gave didn't add up to the disadvantages (on my 5'er the weight, the extra thought involved, and it was more physically tiring to play)

I did like the way it sounded particularly for playing songs in D.

Switched back to 4 about 2 years ago

In my 2nd year at uni we did a lot of contemporary RnB stuff that originally featured notes below low E, therefore requiring a 5 string to accurately reproduce the lines.

I vaguely remember having to sight read/play Chaka Khans 1980s ain't nobody on a gig once, something you wouldn't be able to do on a 4 string bass. Stevie Wonder's superstition is also below the range of a normal bass.

I've been a committed 5 stringer since the early 90s. I started because it was convenient when bands changed the key of songs at short notice and then found that I liked the flexibility, especially with chord shapes. My first was a Hohner which was light and easy but the strings were awkwardly close so I moved to a Yamaha TRB II V which was wonderful but heavy. My current is a Dingwall Prima Artist which is, for me, perfect.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1444007098' post='2879432']
Why not?

But, in all seriousness...

Playing anything modern pop, soul, r&b. Works well, especially without a keys player.
[/quote]

Good question, why not?

Depends on the situation I suppose, but playing in functions bands with different singers it makes things easier. Songs like Superstition are much easier to sing in Eb too, rather than stepping it up to E; and I'd rather just play a 5 than have to detune. Also, having big hands it's a better for for me. My first bass was a 5, but my main gigging basses were 4 strings and it worked having only played original music, it was only when playing covers that I needed the 5. Having made the switch I wouldn't be without a decent fover now.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1444069300' post='2880062']
I appreciate all of the advantages mentioned but I just can't get the hang of string damping :( Probably just an old brain and not enough practice.
[/quote]

Maybe use a sock of hairband ?

The huuuuuuge problem when guys switch to a 5 is one of trying to play like a 4. A couple off an experienced teacher generally sorts out any minor technical issues.

I played a 6 for a few years but didn't use the C string too much and ended up back with a 4.

In my current band there are songs where I need the low C & B and being in a function band there ain't time to switch basses otherwise I'd love to still be able to play a 4, neck like a pencil compared to anything else.

Edited by Delberthot

Played a 5er for, ooh, 8 years. Sold my US Jazz deluxe 5 to fund a new amp and went back to a four string. Have been back on a 4 for 6 years now and really miss having that extra string. Going for another 5er soon I think. Spector Legends look good, decent scale length, essential for a tight B. :)

Been a fiver for 15 or so years now. I like the extended range.

Like someone else said, I know the feeling of picking up a 4 & feeling like something's missing. Got to the point where I'd pick one up & honestly wouldn't know what to do with it!

So I got myself a 4 banger & now I'm happy going between the two.

Can't be doing with none of that low B nonsense tho! Just can't get on with it. It's high B for me. Yup, high B.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443981032' post='2879191']

Tried 'em, gave 'em a good go. But in the end, those few extra notes just don't seem worth it to me considering the extra expense, weight and general inconvenience and faff. And yes, I know it's about fretting-hand positions as well, blah blah - but I just plain don't get on with fivers and way prefer four strings. Horses for courses, one man's meat, be a funny old world if we all, yadda yadda. :)
[/quote]
Precisely me. Tried 3 different times. Eventually had no problems switching, but unless there was some pressing need, I never picked it up. So I eliminated the pressing need by eliminating the 5er.
Additionally, every 5er I've played for any length of time has hurt my rather small hands. So in fact, I not only just play 4 bangers, I play skinny-necked 4 bangers. There's absolutely no doubt, however, about the use and utility of a 5er. They're just not for me.

Edited by Telebass

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1444074065' post='2880132']
I could really use a low B but I had a 6 for a couple of years and when I switched back to 4 it felt much more enjoyable to play, so I've been putting off buying a 5. :(
[/quote]

Thing with a 6 is that the neck width generally means a change from thumb-on-top to thumb-behind grip which for me is doable but not a relaxed and enjoyable way to play. This isnt a problem I have with 5s even ones with relatively wide necks.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1444466176' post='2883413']
It's not just the width of the neck I don't think, it's the extra weight and tighter string spacing too. I'll probably go try some fivers this weekend anyway, I'm weak!
[/quote]

The weight issue isn't always cut-and-dried in my experience.
I have an active Warwick Corvette 5 that's lighter than my passive 4 string Jazz.
I also have a Mexican passive 5 string Jazz that feels heavier than the two of those put together!

I have recently joined an established band for whom I am the first 5 string bass player they've had.
They treat me with a mixture of wonder and awe and the guitarists avoid even touching my bass, as if it's some kind of cursed Voodoo object.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1444465306' post='2883402']
Thing with a 6 is that the neck width generally means a change from thumb-on-top to thumb-behind grip
[/quote]

This is the rub. Too many players decide they don't like wider fret boards because their technique isn't correct and blame the instrument.

Same goes for the "small hands" myth. Play correctly and all of these things cease to be a problem.