Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Jake PJ / 1971 Precison comparison - can you tell which is which?

wateroftyne

Hey gang

I was bored this afternoon, so for fun I thought I'd AB my 1971 Precision and Maruszczyk Jake PJ.

Here's 40 seconds of each - both with GHS flats, through a Mesa Walkabout. Tone backed off slightly - EQ the same on each.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/wateroftyne/maruszczyk-jake-ab-test"]Which is which? Can you tell?[/url]

I'm not an expert on P-basses but I can't really tell. They both sound pretty much like a classic P-bass to my uneducated ears. It may be due to the GHS flats that help in making the two basses sound similar.

Regardless, I doubt that in a band situation the majority could hear the difference. Without taking anything away from the Maruszczyk (that is a cool bass) the Fender has classic look that perhaps in a gig people would recognise.

Edited by Silent Fly

I'm not a P user (nothing against them - just don't have one) but if I had to guess I'd say 1st is Fender, 2nd is Maru though both sound like P's to me. I preferred the 2nd one for some reason.

As ever with these comparisons, they just make me wish my playing was better - must practice more.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1443466145' post='2875008']
..... the first one. It just seems a little smoother in its response ....[/quote]
[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1443467952' post='2875036']
The first one sounds wonderfuly woody ....
[/quote]
[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1443467961' post='2875037']
The first one is thinner with slightly more top end.
[/quote]
[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1443520339' post='2875400']
there is a difference, first has a little more bite,.....
[/quote]

Not only can't we agree on which is which, we seem to think the same one sound different to itself! :blink:

Wow, indeed very evenly matched. Must admit the Maruszczyk name is growing on me.

I think the 1st is the Jake and 2nd is the P, the 1st feels/sounds as if it may have the chambered body (resonance different), but on a recording it is very difficult to tell them apart.