Why become a member? ×

First public appearence - what to play?

Bobthedog

A good friend (girl lead - singer) with a four piece semi pro band has offered to let me to sit in with her band for two numbers as an intro to gigging. It will be on a full stage with sound system and with an audience of approx 250 people ( a private party in the style of a mini rock festival with three bands).

I have asked for her playlist to see if there is anything on there I can cope with / learn. Her (trying to be helpful) response was; you pick the songs and let us know; we will learn them if they are not in our list. i have yet to talk about rehearsals.

Two issues, I have a poor memory so the song must not be too long (no Stairway to Heaven or Rapper's Delight). I do not want to use a music stand (I learnt that from here!). Secondly I am still not very strong with very technical fast stuff. Embarrassed face.

The band plays most genres (no Metal or C&W)

What cover songs would recommend for a probably very nervous old guy that are not too long, will sound good to an audience of 20 to 65 in age and are not too flashy from a bass angle. I do have a couple of months to prep.

18 months experience and about to sit rockschool grade 4 bass.

Edited by Bobthedog

I'd press them for the list, it's less hassle for them. At least get some idea of what they play so that your choices can fit in with what they're playing.

I wouldn't worry too much about memory, it's only 2 songs. My memory's like a sieve and I can hold it together for the 10-15 songs I have to play in a typical set ;)

Couple of month's prep? Assuming you'll get to sit in on a few rehearsals as part of your prep you'll ace it, no probs.

How about something like Dakota, it's a fairly simple verse/chorus structure, four chords (the way most cover bands approach it) and pretty much eight to the beat. Audiences love it so you'll feel good about it and the band will already know it.

Gimme Some Lovin Spencer Davies is another where the bass is really simple but an important part of the song, the first song I played in public.

I'd second asking for a set list being easier all round though. they may even have one on their website so try stalking the band :)

Edited by Phil Starr

What are the songs you are most comfortable and feel the most confident about playing, First gig 250 people, It will be a hell of a buzz, so keep it simple and you will love it and wont be able to wait till you can get back on that stage, the first taste of applause is a mighty feeling. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Lynottfan

Pretty much with everything already said. Check the bands current set-list first and see if there is anything there you know, makes it easier for them Dakota and Gimmi Some Lovin are pretty simple but as it's a female lead singer, what about Valerie or Mercy.
As far as the " no music stand" rule, I'm not with that. We have just come back from a 3 day weekender and we were the only band NOT using a music stand or iPad. They were all pro musicians and that's the way they roll.
It's your first Gig, ifvyou need a crib sheet, use one.

Not Dakota as most bands butcher it.. and you need to play very very good 8th's all through it, pretty much. Assume you do the bass..??

Pick something repetitive like Sweat home Alabama as if the band get it...with a groove... then the hook will
have them sinigng and you'll ride that wave all the way thru the song.

Valerir is good but again you need to be rock solid as there is NO failing off the bass groove.
Maybe a rock'n'roll swinger in an easy key.. Route 66/Chicago..?

I think the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach really applies here. What you are gaining here isn't about bass lines, scales, and the type of stuff you'll have been studying for grades, it's about the experience being in front of (a friendly and supportive) audience and the experience of playing with other musicians. This will stretch you but the stretch won't be in the baselines, it will be in locking in with other players and dealing with the adrenaline from playing in a gig. So, if all you do is plod along playing root notes on a simple 4 chord tune but do so solidly and with feel then that is an achievement. Impress them by locking in and being solid rather than by trying to play something complex.

I'd agree with others. Get the set list from your friend (and then post it here so others can advise). Pick a simple tune that they are familiar with so that they can carry the song and you can lock in with that.

There's little point throwing in suggestions for songs if they aren't ones that the band does so use that as a starting point and go from there. Then try to relax, have fun and enjoy it. There is nothing quite like playing in front of an audience.

Oh, and here's a little muso mind game to be aware and wary of... After you've played there's a chance you will over analyse every note you played and presume that any you didn't feel you got 100% will have chimed out like huge ear grating clangers... Here's the thing... No one else will have even noticed them. I can recall with horror pretty much every bum note I've ever played and that's even though I know nobody but me even noticed them when they happened. The little games we play on ourselves, eh? Above all, just enjoy the opportunity!

What a great opportunity if you've never gigged before.

Defo get the set list and try and pick a couple they do that you're comfortable with.
If they learn a couple for the night for you there may be a slight gaff from one of them as it's a new number.
This won't phase a competent gigging band in the least and it'll be pulled back on track in a heartbeat but it may
throw you and leave you "staring into the headlights".

Doing a couple of their regulars will be slick and oiled up.

Good luck and do let us know how it goes.

Les

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1442948048' post='2870897']
Pick something repetitive like Sweat home Alabama as if the band get it...with a groove... then the hook will
have them sinigng and you'll ride that wave all the way thru the song.
[/quote]

Sanctuary would be another one in the same vein.

I agree with Chris above, there are no rules only opinions , ideally you would get 2 songs down well enough to not need a music stand, but there is no law against one if you really need it.

Sounds like the main thing you need to sort out is your confidence to remember a song, I write out structures on cards which helps me . Nothing to do with notes , just bar count the parts , see how the song repeats sections and where the odd rests or 1/2 or double verses / choruses are etc. Once it's written on it seems much less complicated

Good luck , do your homework then go out and enjoy

One which id suggest is Johnny B Goode.
It can be played in a relatively easy way.
Always goes down well when we play it.
One chord pattern repeated through the whole song so there aren't many "parts" to remember.
I think you should use a music stand if you need to, but if you have a good bit of time to practice, i doubt you'll need one.

Don't play Dakota. Please. If only because you don't want the answer to "what was your first gigging experience" to involve the words "Dakota" or "Stereophonics". ;)

Nothing wrong with taking a cheat sheet on stage. I've done it at gigs for songs I was unsure of, you don't need a music stand. Just a piece of A4 paper and a permanent marker, write the chords out nice and big on the page and place it at your feet. If you're only doing one or two songs you'll only need a single sheet and no one in the audience will know its there.

Thank you all, again.

I think I will use a music stand or other "security blanket" (e.g. notes (in black!) / iPad) if nothing else just to keep the nerves at ease on the night. Hopefuilly I will be able to remember two songs but the aide memoir will take away concerns.

As for songs, Dakota is a great and easy song to play but perhaps not for a woman lead vocal? Not sure. Assuming the play list is not forthcoming, I will look into all the suggestions above and see what fits. Despite the couple of months timing, I am already fired up at the prospect.

TrevorR's first and last paragraphs are especially helpful.

Bob I've not really got anything useful to add bud, but this sounds like an exciting opportunity to test yourself in a new environment and have some fun at the same time.

I agree in playing a song from their set-list; at least they will know where the song is going if you have 'a moment'.

If I were in your shoes, I'd would rather use a stand and get to the end of the song than lose my way - that would be much worse.

Have the band got any YouTube stuff up?

All the best mate - have a blast!

Something you can easily play along to at home, and can find tab for guidance from the internet (although not as a crutch - learn to use your ears).

My early playalong material included easy Zeppelin, the Police, Cream, Clapton, Hendrix, Black Crowes, motown/stax/etc classics, etc. Beware songs that were recorded slightly off concert pitch - I suspect Teenage Kicks might be one of these, could be wrong though (otherwise great suggestion)