Why become a member? ×

How to solve an audience clapping out of time

FuNkShUi

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3iaURppQw"]https://www.youtube....h?v=yD3iaURppQw[/url]

In this clip the audience are clapping on the 1 and 3 instead of 2 & 4. So in his solo, Harry Connick throws in a 5/4 bar to correct it.
It happens at about 39 seconds in, and is bloody genius.
I cant stop watching it!
Audience are totally oblivious to the schooling they've just received :lol:

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1441801633' post='2861873']
I'm glad other people are impressed by this.
I was concerned i might be nerding out over it on my own :D
[/quote]
Nah - think we're all geeks/nerds! Like when I tell my girlfriend to stop and listen to a bass fill... 'um yeah um - great um'

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1441802503' post='2861886']
The audience aren't out of time though...

They are just clapping on the "wrong" beats. And it's only convention that dictates you should clap on beat 2 and 4 of this style of music rather than 1 and 3.
[/quote]

Only convention..? [i]Only [/i]convention..? What are you saying, man..? Good gracious, what else [i]is [/i]there..? Some kind of anarchist, are you..? Only convention, indeed..! Harrumph... :angry:

[i]Major Tantrum, OBBM and bar, of Woking[/i]

Wynton Marsalis tells a lovely story about a gig he did (why do I think it was in England?) where this happened. The audience of square White Anglo Saxon Protestants were all clapping on 1 and 3 whilst this 7 year old kid at the front, who clearly had not yet been inducted into the world of English Folk music, was clicking his fingers on 2 and 4 and nodding his head like a brother :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1441802503' post='2861886']
The audience aren't out of time though...

They are just clapping on the "wrong" beats. And it's only convention that dictates you should clap on beat 2 and 4 of this style of music rather than 1 and 3.
[/quote]

Sorry, i'll be more precise next time and say they aren't clapping to the conventional beats :rolleyes:
Although, i think you know what i was getting at.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1441804255' post='2861907']
Wynton Marsalis tells a lovely story about a gig he did (why do I think it was in England?) where this happened. The audience of square White Anglo Saxon Protestants were all clapping on 1 and 3 whilst this 7 year old kid at the front, who clearly had not yet been inducted into the world of English Folk music, was clicking his fingers on 2 and 4 and nodding his head like a brother :lol:
[/quote]

Brilliant

I'm with BigRedX. I've never understood why clapping on 1 and 3 is deemed "incorrect".

Very clever playing from the Connickmeister though. I mean I can totally spot the 5/4 bar. Yeah, I can totally spot it. I music good me. Even after half watching it half a dozen times I can totally spot it.

I really shouldn't be allowed an instrument.

perhaps clapping to the 2nd and 4th beat became popular when rock and roll 'invented' the snare on those beats.
I seem to remember an interview with John Lennon where he was saying when they cut the live 'give peace a chance' the crowd were clapping on the 'wrong' beat so they had to alter it in the studio later. I may have dreamt that though

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441810200' post='2861966']
perhaps clapping to the 2nd and 4th beat became popular when rock and roll 'invented' the snare on those beats.
[/quote]

Actually first played by Earl Palmer playing New Orleans R&B.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1441802503' post='2861886'] The audience aren't out of time though... They are just clapping on the "wrong" beats. And it's only convention that dictates you should clap on beat 2 and 4 of this style of music rather than 1 and 3. [/quote]

Indeed, it's not like the imbeciles who clap during ice dancing and figure skating routines, who have no concept of clapping in time. And they are the reason that tambourines should never be left in range of the audience.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441810200' post='2861966']
I seem to remember an interview with John Lennon where he was saying when they cut the live 'give peace a chance' the crowd were clapping on the 'wrong' beat so they had to alter it in the studio later. I may have dreamt that though
[/quote]

You're right. They had to put a slapback echo on it to try and correct it.