Why become a member? ×

Can't hear myself warm up at rehearsal, so I now just sit and wait!

thebrig

oh and in different bands I've had guitarist and drummers who at certain points we have had to shout "Shut up" at until they stopped playing (usually through the PA). No excuse for noodling during a band discussion. If you need a moment to practice a part you can't get, ask the band for a moment and they can have a quick break while you sort out the difficult bit.

This thread proves that being in bands with friends is a bloody pain in the arse. As far as bands go I prefer to play with people who I meet only to do band-related stuff and don't see at any other time, including social occasions, not even a drink after rehearsal.

Mind you, it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes I'll have 'proper' band that gives me my 'band' jollies, and an occasional, social-event 'mates' band that I don't give a crap about, so they can pull whatever stupid shenanigans they like. :)

Edited by discreet

Some other approaches when guitarist starts loud noodling:

1. Bassist and drummer step away from their instruments and place hands over their ears. Advantage: conveys how you feel. Disadvantage: not convinced this will get through!
2. Bassist plays something loud and random in Eb (guaranteed to clash badly with noodling), drummer 'builds a shed'. Advantages: feels good. Disadvantages: you have sunk to the guitarist's level.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1437591826' post='2827426']
For about years I played in a band with no guitarist - just bass, drums, keys and vocals. It was like a Utopian dream.
[/quote]

Wow, that sounds great! I suppose you could then get rid of the drummer, the keys and eventually the vocals, too. Oh, wait...

At rehearsals i'm usually early and 1st to set up so can plug away for few mins until guitarist is ready. Once he is set up i let him have his 5mins. Then the kys sets up while we wait on the drummer adjusting the studio kit from left to right handed and then he will thrash for few minutes to get positioning right. Then quick level check amongst us and we go for our warm up song.
We have all agreed no noise between songs during gigs. If someone is talking at rehearsals about song we've just done or are about to do we all stop and listen.
Maybe i'm just lucky we all think same way.

Dave

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437591558' post='2827422']
This thread proves that being in bands with friends is a bloody pain in the arse. As far as bands go I prefer to play with people who I meet only to do band-related stuff and don't see at any other time, including social occasions, not even a drink after rehearsal.

[/quote]

Oooh, I can't agree with that! Quite apart from being more fun, a friendly band that goes to the pub after has a ready-made venue & opportunity to tackle exactly these issues.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1437550358' post='2826876']
[size=5]I get so frustrated at rehearsals because I never get the chance to warm up and actually hear myself.[/size]

[size=5]Once the guitarist plugs in and starts thrashing away at high volume and without any thought for others, that's the end of it, even the drummer gives me a defeatist look, and we both just sit down and wait until everyone is ready and we go straight in to the songs, and of course it's the same between numbers when we want to discuss something, and nobody can hear whats being said due to the bloody guitard playing away!

Is it just me?[/size]
[/quote]

don't waste your time in bands like that... get him to behave, or let him go, or walk... life's too short. There are better people to be in a band with out there if you look for them.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437584440' post='2827319']
I made the initial quip about putting it into perspective thinking I was being light hearted but you seem to think a friend making a noise on his guitar when you want him to stop, isn't a real friend!
I find this a bit unnerving to be honest
[/quote]
You and he disagree on something concerning the concept of mateness. I assume you're not bandmates or meatspace buddies, so you're not talking about each other. Essentially, you just have a difference of opinion. Why is that unnerving?

Thanks for all the great tips/ideas on how to tackle this irritation, but I feel I must point out that there is no way I am going to fall out or walk away because of it, even if it does wind me up, he's my mate, a good mate! and even good mates piss you off every now and then, and as people have mentioned, I can, and do warm up silently, but it would be nice to be able to hear myself so I can adjust settings etc to get my tone right.

So yes, in an ideal world, he would be more considerate, but at the end of the day, it's taken me many years to find a guitarist who is not only very good, and have similar musical tastes and ideas, but above all, he is a very decent bloke apart from this minor irritation. ;)

TBH, I did not start the thread to have a real bash at him, it was just intended to be a bit of a light-hearted rant really, and wondered if others had similar problems with guitarists. :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1437591826' post='2827426']
For about 4 years I played in a band with no guitarist - just bass, drums, keys and vocals. It was like a Utopian dream. No ego bullshit or toddler, temper tantrums.
[/quote]

Are you sure you had a vocalist?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437639546' post='2827700']

[/quote]

Excuse me! I'm the vocalist as well as being the bassist and there's no ego's in MY band, you insignificant philistine you!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1437639546' post='2827700']
[/quote]

He did what he was told. Although he didn't have a clue how to set up his PA. He left that to the keyboard player.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1437581228' post='2827283']

It's long been accepted that the best way to train a guitarist is by positive affirmation, rather than by rubbing his nose in the stench he's made.
So if he's good, give him a treat. This will, of course, vary depending on the type of band.
If it's 70s style rock covers, a Werther's Original or barley sugar will suffice. If it's mathcore or something similarly young then Haribo or cheesestrings will have to do.
[/quote]

Brilliant! :-)

I left a covers band last year and whilst this was mostly due to the drummer, who would always bash away loudly and incessantly before both rehearsals and gigs and had numerous other shortcomings too - the guitarist was almost as bad.

What really annoyed me about the guitarist was that he would use band rehearsals as his opportunity to do endless knob-twiddling on his effects board, at deafening volume; so having an intelligible conversation with anyone about the band or getting the detail of a song right was often an exercise in futility.

But it doesn't have to be like this (and nor should it be).

I was in a band a few years ago (which sadly folded due to a bad case of lead singer syndrome) where certain ground-rules were agreed at the outset. A key one of these was that both guitarists actually volunteered (yes; honestly!) that they would not start messing around with their effects at full band rehearsals - instead they hired a rehearsal room separately to do all this stuff, so that they weren't wasting anyone else's time!

Edited by Krysbass

One of the advantages of playing with good deps is that there's never any fannying about - turn up, tune up (silently), get a rough volume, adjust if necessary by listening to the bloke who's setting the sound up, play the songs. Once you're used to this series of events it happens automatically even at the vaguest of writing/rehearsals.

It's not rocket science, it's being a grownup...

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1437905422' post='2829807']
I left a covers band last year and whilst this was mostly due to the drummer, who would always bash away loudly and incessantly before both rehearsals and gigs and had numerous other shortcomings too - the guitarist was almost as bad.

What really annoyed me about the guitarist was that he would use band rehearsals as his opportunity to do endless knob-twiddling on his effects board, at deafening volume; so having an intelligible conversation with anyone about the band or getting the detail of a song right was often an exercise in futility.

But it doesn't have to be like this (and nor should it be).

I was in a band a few years ago (which sadly folded due to a bad case of lead singer syndrome) where certain ground-rules were agreed at the outset. A key one of these was that both guitarists actually volunteered (yes; honestly!) that they would not start messing around with their effects at full band rehearsals - instead they hired a rehearsal room separately to do all this stuff, so that they weren't wasting anyone else's time!
[/quote]

BUt you need to adjust your effects etc in the context of a full band, so you do need to "endure" some degree of knob twiddling, I'm afraid.
I can get a room for myself and the drummer to work on things and I can get my overdrive sounds just right etc... but until I play with the rest of the band I will not know when it's really right...

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1437550358' post='2826876']
[size=5]I get so frustrated at rehearsals because I never get the chance to warm up and actually hear myself.[/size]

[size=5]Once the guitarist plugs in and starts thrashing away at high volume and without any thought for others, that's the end of it, even the drummer gives me a defeatist look, and we both just sit down and wait until everyone is ready and we go straight in to the songs, and of course it's the same between numbers when we want to discuss something, and nobody can hear whats being said due to the bloody guitard playing away!

Is it just me?[/size]
[/quote]
Have you actually told him to stop doing that and stop acting like an amaetur?

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1437916139' post='2829932']
Have you actually told him to stop doing that and stop acting like an amaetur?
[/quote]

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1437551681' post='2826897']
I've told him many times about it, but it makes no difference! :dash1:
[/quote]

Thanks for the update.

I suggest when you have a break to chat about whatever, when the guitarist kicks in, stop talking and you and the drummer just look at him until he finishes. Eventually he will stop and then resume the conversation. Repeat until guitarist get's the point, even if this means running out the rest of the rehearsal time.