Why become a member? ×

Should I be annoyed or amused?

A couple of weeks ago, I traded my cheap Chinese double bass for a Fender Modern Player Jazz via one of the bass player groups on Facebook. No problem, both were valued around £300-£350, met up and swapped instruments both seemed happy. Now I see my bass is being traded again but he's valued it at £850! I don't even think they were that much new!

Should I be annoyed that even if he gets £500 for it, he's made a healthy profit from my bass, or should I just chuckle and think "good on him"?

Generally when I see adverts on Basschat where people buy stuff then realise it's not for them, they usually just try to get their money back when they sell it on and I would see this as polite, but a £500 profit?

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1433498506' post='2791507']
Now I see my bass is being traded again but he's valued it at £850! I don't even think they were that much new!

Should I be annoyed that even if he gets £500 for it, he's made a healthy profit from my bass, or should I just chuckle and think "good on him"?
[/quote]

What he's valued it at and what he'll get are two different things, but in the end he might just get someone to pay that much.

Should you be annoyed ? If you really want to be...but I'd take the chuckle option.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1433498506' post='2791507']
...both seemed happy...
[/quote]
If you're happy with the deal then you're happy. The essence of trading for profit is to sell what is bought with added value, even when that added value is the patience and/or confidence to find a 'bigger fool' :-)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1433499152' post='2791528']
What he's valued it at and what he'll get are two different things
[/quote]

+1. If he does make a handsome profit..good luck to him I say.

Either way, it's out of your hands now, so best to forget about it and move on.

Harsh View: It's absolutely sod all to do with you.

Moderate View: It's a bit on the cheeky side, but good luck to him

I tend to have a little amused chuckle when I've seen things I've sold at Bootsales appear on eBay.

When selling, I tend not to base the price on what I paid for it but for what I think it is worth at the time. I see little point in doing it any other way.
If I get it right, happy days. If I have got it wrong, it doesn't sell and then I drop the price hopefully to a level that is right.

I've sold several things on here which have been put back up for sale at between £100 and £200 more than my price.

I can be angry. . . . at me, for underpricing those items.

For the OP, this sale is nothing to do with you. Next time make sure you know the real value of the market place or be brave and stick out for a higher price, but you got what you wanted so you're OK.

So, the guy's trying to make more, that may or may not work, but at this point it's none of your business.

This sort of thing is going to happen if you buy/sell/trade much.

The likelihood is that if you got what you know to be a fair trade value for your bass, but the person you traded with saw it as an opportunity to profiteer, chances are they'll end up more regretful than you. Good luck to them if they get what they're asking - but chances are they won't.

Back in January I did a FB trade, swapping a very nice '70s MIJ Jazz copy for a beat-up Aria SB-Elite B&G. I'd been intending to sell the J on here for maybe about £150 - I thought a fair price for a very nice bass which was actually a bitsa made from period-correct components most of which I got through BC anyway.

Anyway I'd intended to give the guy the bass + cash to be negotiated when we met - but he was happy with a straight swap. And so was I... :) The Jazz reappeared a couple of weeks later with a sale/trade value of £300-ish & has subsequently been circulated around the FB group at incrementally decreasing values. Last I saw it some moron had buchered the maple/black blocks neck by de-fretting it and sanding the fingerboard. Tragic because it was a nice vintage neck with excellent frets & it played beautifully. That hurt a bit - but then again, not my problem any more.

I also sold a pretty but rubbish old Hohner bass on Ebay about a year ago, got about £70 for it. A week later it was back for £250 BIN, re-using my pics and with a pack of lies instead of an honest description. It didn't sell, I got bored watching it after 4 increasingly desperate re-lists & assume the guy ended up chucking it on the fire, where it belonged.

Jon.

I will watch with interest, but I pity the fool who pays £850 for the bass, if anyone does. Don't get me wrong it's a reasonable starter db, but it didn't cost me any more than the £300 that I valued it at... I think they were only £800 new!

To be honest, I needed the space and have started to thin down the herd a bit so I can't really complain!

Some guy I sold my Ray34 to in Ireland put it back on sale at a higher price than I sold it (that didn't bother me). However the item description was way off and he said he was the first owner from new, that did annoy me as he was willfully being deceitful to any purchasers, which is a bit sh*tty. Anyway, yeah, just let it go. You got what you wanted out of it initially, anything else is superfluous mate!

Edited by 40hz

I suppose this kind of thing happens all the time. I once sold a Stagg EDB and said to the guy, "I love this bass so if you ever sell it, let me know as I'd like first refusal" Six months later he offered me the bass back, at the same price that I'd sold it to him for! Plus I'd have to collect from Southampton.... So basically, I'd lent him my bass for 6 months, and then would have to fork out around £50 for petrol to get it back!

If we spent our time worrying about all the muppets on the internet trying to flog overpriced crap to people, we'd have no time left to do anything and would probably be pretty miserable. Someone can price something on t'internet for anything, if someone's stupid enough to pay it, that's their issue. You know the bass isn't worth more than what you traded it for, so I wouldn't worry. You got a working bass at an equivalent trade price. Not worth your time even worrying about it!

If you want a laugh, just go to the Ebay weird and wonderful section on here and have a laugh at the prices people put up basses that have obviously been put through a GCSE woodwork sanding class and now they was £750 for a rare relic'd Jap Squire.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1433499713' post='2791539']
To be fair, I guess I was a bit peeved when I first saw the ad, my reaction was "HOW MUCH" but now I'm pretty cool with it, as you say It's nothing to do with me.... I don't like the Jazz though, so if anybody wants it, it's yours for £1500 (only joking)
[/quote]

I'll give you a £1 for it and you deliver and bring the biccies, coffee and milk. I'll supply the water and send you the bill.
How's that for a deal.

I'd just move on - you got what you thought it was worth so no point in worrying about it.

That's life.

Shame you didn't like the bass tho.

Dave