Why become a member? ×

Singers ruin everything

Cameronj279

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1429907802' post='2756362']
Nice cast, Timmo.

Hoping for a bite...
[/quote]Nope. I genuinly hate his voice . Do people bite if you say anything negative about Rush? His voice, especially on Tom Sawyer grates on me. The singers named by Seashell, i like. I think they are good singers for the types of band they are in. I like Coverdales voice in Mistreated by Deep Purple.
Ahh i just found out Geddy Lee is the singer. I knew he was the bassist, but had no idea he sang.Just shows how much i know about Rush. I still don`t like his singing.

Edited by timmo

I heard a cover recently of Depeche Mode's I Feel You. Johnny Marr successfully made an excellent song sound like Oasis!

That's the type of vocals that sound worst to me, Gallagher, Weller & all those other 90s indie sounding blokes.

It pains me to agree about Matthew Bellamy, which is a shame since Muse are a band of brilliant musicians. Because of that I sort of forgive him, but can only take his voice in small doses.
Mariah Carey’s voice, on the other hand, is one of understated magnificence, and by that I mean precisely the opposite.

I'm in a trio with two bad singers and one good one. The good one's the drummer and ( sadly) he doesn't like singing much. So us two bad ones grabbed the ball and ran with it. What I can't get away with the guitarist can and vice versa. The drummer does what we can't. Like anything else - practise made us better and confidence did the rest. We attack it like singers - so we become singers. I hate bad singers that don't know it. We're bad singers that know it but learned to develop what we've got to good effect. BTW - re. Stevie Nicks - her nasal carry ons can be a bit irritating and the state of her much abused septum won't help ( not withstanding the stories about other bits of her ! ) but to me she thinks of her self as a non-musician/songwriter just getting her material over best she can. Christine sounds like a bloke - Mr Buckingham sounds like a girl - but the three of them harmonise like a choir of angels to my mind.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1429983330' post='2756961']
I've seen a few bands in recent years that have kicked off sounding awesome.
Then the vocalist lets fly with some god awful screamo style noise.
[/quote] Ah..... you've seen me play then !!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

For me it's not so much the voice but the crap lyrics that I can't stand.

For a long time I listened almost exclusively to J-Pop/J-Rock, where the lyrics were probably just as awful as those I'd been trying to get away from, but being in a language I mostly didn't understand, I was able to appreciate the singing as just another instrument without the distraction of cringing at the embarrassing words.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1429983896' post='2756968']

For a long time I listened almost exclusively to J-Pop/J-Rock, where the lyrics were probably just as awful as those I'd been trying to get away from, but being in a language I mostly didn't understand, I was able to appreciate the singing as just another instrument without the distraction of cringing at the embarrassing words.
[/quote]

I too can find lyrics annoying and sometimes cringeworthy , but that is just as subjective as a dislike of a vocalists tone and often boils down to the genre ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1429983896' post='2756968']

[/quote]

I love J rock, especially Luna sea and Buck Tick. I thought I was the only one who listened to this stuff. The singers in the two bands I mentioned, whilst singing in Japanese, have great voices! :rolleyes:

Ooh, nearly for got the awesome Dragon Ash!

Edited by ubit

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1430045369' post='2757335']
I just can't listen to Guns and Roses because of his voice
[/quote]

It's a shame really because their version of Live and Let Die is streets ahead of the wings version.

I'm not fond of either of the singers though. :D

Edited by TimR

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1430133363' post='2758191']
When I was teenager , I thought his voice was unique and different and I iked it. Can't listen now , without thinking of Larry the lamb [b]with constipation[/b].
[/quote]

All of the above and more, which is why we don't tolerate singers in my band, absolutely not a problem, we used to get some people asking about it, now I think we've tightened up any places we didnt have something to catch the ear in place of a singer, and at the last few gigs its just not been mentioned. 6 or 7 people can keep something interesting happening all the way through even a 12 minute track between them - or they cant write decent stuff, simples.

I used to think maybe its just playing in Brighton, but we've had no problems all over the south east, and in london, people seem to catch on that we're doing something really different from the normal pop/rock thing within about 30 seconds of us starting, but it never seems to be an issue (fingers crossed!)