Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sea Foam Green P(Recession) Bass Update

Mykesbass

Here's my attempt at a kit build - Mighty Mite body and neck from Build Your Own Guitars in the US.

Always loved Sea Foam Green, and think it looks great with a maple board. I messed up the bridge, hence the cover hiding the first set of holes :blush: and the decal is a bit iffy too, but it plays nicely, and I'll see what it sounds like tonight at a rehearsal.

The BYO kit was pretty good value (including postage and duty), however, and I don't know if it was me, but, even with great care, I found the finish cracked badly around a lot of the drill holes.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1429282768' post='2750030']
Did this come with the sea foam finish already on? *shakes piggy bank*
[/quote]
Yes it did, as I said, a little fragile where I drilled but it may have been my workmanship, not their finishing. Was a great price, check to see if they have a deal on!!

Edited by Mykesbass

I cracked the finish on my US Std when drilling for the bridge cover. I later discovered the trick of using some masking tape on the area and drilling into that. Not tried it myself but it should help if you do another!

Edited by dannybuoy

Well that was fun, chalk & cheese with my other P Style, but then that is a 5 string fretless with flats and a Norstrand pick-up. Really, really lively, with that lovely punky clank with the tone up not quite appropriate for the Blues bit I'll certainly find a couple of songs for it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429293061' post='2750208']
I cracked the finish on my US Std when drilling for the bridge cover. I later discovered the trick of using some masking tape on the area and drilling into that. Not tried it myself but it should help if you do another!
[/quote]
That can work but a really sharp drill bit is more important

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1429378155' post='2750972']
That is lovely! I've looked at buying that body before but always chickened out because I was worried about getting the holes badly wrong! You definitely have more steel than me :P
[/quote]
Ha! That's what bridge covers are made for :-)

• 8 months later...

Well, having built this for the fun of building it, and then putting it up, unsuccessfully for sale, I took this to a local blues jam today, to see if I should keep it and find a place in my band for it. Guess what? It's a keeper!!

Needs a more vintage sounding pup, this one has that lovely 70s shout, but that's not what I'm about, so much choice, but cheap and cheerful Entwistle is top of the list, and if that doesn't do the trick, then one from Hot Rod who have taken over the Wizzard designs and tooling.