Why become a member? ×

£11,000 bass guitar.

Grassie

I've never paid £11,000 for any instrument though I have bought used instruments that would have been more expensive than that new.
I would not be averse to paying that kind of money for a new bass if it was the price needed to get a true custom instrument and I could specify exactly the things I wanted for it to be my perfect bass. The reality is that I don't believe I am at a stage as a player yet to find the major limitations of my own instruments, and I don't know enough about basses to enable me to confidently do that and get it right first time. I can't afford an expensive mistake.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1428582011' post='2742644']
I could replace like for like all of my current bass and guitar gear (including amps and cabs) for around that... :blink:
[/quote]

Current bass, amp, van and the drummer

It's always going to be about creating a need in people that wasn't there before you created that need, and then marketed it. Take washing up powder...they tell us that it's the best ever, and will get everything whiter than the previous 'newest' formula they came out with six months ago. Take this back 10 years and we must have been walking around in filthy rags as the powder then was so inferior to what it is now.... 99% of people will presume its a brilliant bass, that it's the best in the world, and will buy one if they discover an oil well in their back garden, yet this 99% of people will never see it other than in images, will never talk to someone who as seen one, let alone played one. All we have is the opinions of a privileged few who have played one, magazines that have had a couple of hours on it and have a vested interest in keeping manufacturers happy, and Foderas own reviews. Almost all other basses have had countless reviews, opinions, debates etc about them, and these by people who own them. They are real basses that all of us have seen and played, heard on radio etc. Just because a few hundred people on the planet have played this means nothing to me...gimme facts and real users opinions.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1428473684' post='2741519']
When making an item of quality you have to think about what it's made from, how much detail has gone in to it, the skill level of the maker and how long it takes to make.

$550 might sound like a lot to make 2 pick up covers, but if you think how much you're paying for the time alone (3 days), then that's just over $180 per day for the materials, labour & overheads.
[/quote]

Don't tell Martin Peterson, he only charges £100 for that. And he doesn't charge extra for fretlessness.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1428581851' post='2742635']
You could probably buy 3 or 4 very special custom basses for that kind of money.
[/quote]

But none of them would be a Fodera built to that specification. With instruments - and custom instruments in particular - one is not any kind of substitute for another. And I am especially surprised that even owners of custom instruments fail to see that. When I chose the luthiers to make my custom basses and guitars I picked ones whose ideas how to design and build an instrument corresponded with what I wanted from the PoV of looks sounds and playability. Each of my custom instruments that were made especially for me came from a different luthier because I wanted different things from each.

There is no "one size fits all". If there was we'd all be playing Squiers.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1428586434' post='2742719']
Don't tell Martin Peterson, he only charges £100 for that. And he doesn't charge extra for fretlessness.
[/quote]
Sei basses are very nice. I considered one a couple of years ago.
I've not played a Sei, nor a Fodera (let alone the one in question), but I would still imagine that someone wanting an instrument like the Fodera isn't going to be looking at Sei or Sadowsky.

If you need Fodera, or a magazine review, to justify why a bass might be worth 10 x Fender Precisions to you - you're never ever going to be a Fodera customer. They're totally fine with this.

Edit - point here is really around fatuous reviewer 'scores' on what is a totally subjective area. Not a personal dig at the underclass who can't afford a Fodera.

Edited by Drax

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1428312441' post='2740033']
If you don't get the difference between a Fodera and Sadowsky bass then you're probably not in the target market for either.
[/quote] oh ok, thanks for the snotty response . not quite sure why i have to be in the "Target Market" to know about bass, but I'm pretty sure i do know the difference.. but go ahead, you obviously are in the target market for both, so maybe you could explain the difference with your wealthy, wealth of knowledge. ;)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1428667601' post='2743572']
Just popped into Bassgear and while I was there the deal was being done for the sale of this bass. I had a bit of a chat with the buyer who was a really nice chap.

You heard it here first!
[/quote]

Get him on here to justify it !

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1428667845' post='2743577']
Get him on here to justify it !
[/quote]

Ha - could you imagine the hassle he'd get; "But you could have bought every single Harley Benton Deko available for that much - they're just as good"!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1428603197' post='2742977']
oh ok, thanks for the snotty response . not quite sure why i have to be in the "Target Market" to know about bass, but I'm pretty sure i do know the difference.. but go ahead, you obviously are in the target market for both, so maybe you could explain the difference with your wealthy, wealth of knowledge. ;)
[/quote]

OK ;-)

TBH I'm not really in the target market for either a Sadowsky or a Fodera Bass as they are way too conventional in the looks department for me to use one on stage, which is where most of my playing is done.

However… I did spend a morning trying out most of the 5-string Sadowskys in their NYC showroom. They are nice instruments very well made, enjoyable to play sitting down and good sounding (although I have to say I was very unimpressed with the legendary Sadowsky pre-amp as all the basses I tried sounded far better to me through the excellent rig provided when in passive mode). However overall not for me as I don't really get on with the Fender-style design and like something a bit more exciting looking.

My experience of Foderas has been limited to a few minutes playing the Yin-Yang bass that used to be at the Bass Gallery. Again very well made and extremely playable, but otherwise nothing like any of the Sadowskys that I tried. And that's the crux of the matter - they are completely different instruments and have little in common other than they are well made electric basses.

This why I am constantly surprised that musicians who own or have owned custom or high-end basses can't see that one bass is not any kind of substitute for another at anything other than the very cheap end of the Fender copy market (and perhaps not even then). In the high-end and custom instrument market there is no "best bass". There might be basses that are more suitable for you and basses that offer better value for money to you, but ultimately it's all subjective and dependent upon how much disposable cash a particular person has available to buy musical instruments.

Edited by BigRedX

£11,000 for a bass isn't a lot really
[url="https://fodera.com/anthony-jackson-presentation-ii/"]https://fodera.com/anthony-jackson-presentation-ii/[/url]
according to fodera's price list £35,000.
if someone wants to pay those sort of prices for a bass good on em.
and without a hint of sarcasm, i hope it gives them everything they want and more.
a fodera take about a year to make a custom bass, and have been in operation since 1983,
so they are hardly a prolific maker
the fender precision has been being made for about twice as long, don't take anywhere near as long to make,
and are made in america, mexico and japan, so not particularly uncommon.
my guess is that there are vastly more precisions than fodera's in existence.
curiously just looked on the first page of the basses for sale, there are 4 precisions for sale
and 2 fodera's. seems a bit out of proportion.

Just to put Fodera's bass pricing in perspective:

I have just acquired a Warwick Buzzard via this very site. I realised when I got it home that I hadn't entirely thought it through, as I didn't have a suitable stand (I do have wall hangers, but I might be looked on askance if I took a wall to a gig) and the Hercules grab stand is marginally too short. So I gwgled, and found a chap who hand-makes a stand for Buzzards and similarly wonky and long instruments (Explorers and Alembic Dragonwings for example). I emailed him to ask the price of his stands (steel tubing tripod, two legs forward and one back, neck holder like a Stagg stand) and was slightly surprised to find that they were $599 plus $100 shipping. That is the correct number of 9s after the 5. So, buy one of his stands for $699 plus whatever HMRC wants to extract from me, or buy a Hercules stand and a lump of wood a couple of inches thick to stand it on. Call me a philistine who doesn't appreciate craftsmanship, but I've just ordered a Hercules stand.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1428713491' post='2744077']
Just to put Fodera's bass pricing in perspective:

I have just acquired a Warwick Buzzard via this very site. I realised when I got it home that I hadn't entirely thought it through, as I didn't have a suitable stand (I do have wall hangers, but I might be looked on askance if I took a wall to a gig) and the Hercules grab stand is marginally too short. So I gwgled, and found a chap who hand-makes a stand for Buzzards and similarly wonky and long instruments (Explorers and Alembic Dragonwings for example). I emailed him to ask the price of his stands (steel tubing tripod, two legs forward and one back, neck holder like a Stagg stand) and was slightly surprised to find that they were $599 plus $100 shipping. That is the correct number of 9s after the 5. So, buy one of his stands for $699 plus whatever HMRC wants to extract from me, or buy a Hercules stand and a lump of wood a couple of inches thick to stand it on. Call me a philistine who doesn't appreciate craftsmanship, but I've just ordered a Hercules stand.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know exactly who you mean. I was of the same opinion Which kind of resembles "get lost." Not that I'd put my buzzard on a stand anywhere except my own studio so it was a moot point anyway.

As for the whole point of the thread. If I had the money and felt a bass was worth it, I'd get it. On the other hand, I feel that nothing should really cost more than £6k. After that I just don't know quite what esoteric features you're paying for. I have played a Fodera and whilst it was very nice, I thought it wasn't for me soundwise. Not that I had ever really entertained the notion of buying one before. I just wanted to see what the fuss was about.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1428674095' post='2743674']
OK ;-)

This why I am constantly surprised that musicians who own or have owned custom or high-end basses can't see that one bass is not any kind of substitute for another at anything other than the very cheap end of the Fender copy market (and perhaps not even then). In the high-end and custom instrument market there is no "best bass". There might be basses that are more suitable for you and basses that offer better value for money to you, but ultimately it's all subjective and dependent upon how much disposable cash a particular person has available to buy musical instruments.
[/quote]

This is so true, I own a good few Precisions of different eras and countries of origin, each is entirely different to the others, none are better or worse, just different, they are all worth what I paid for them because I could afford them and liked them enough to add them to the family