Why become a member? ×

Which new bass to go for? (Choice of 3)

Storky

I'm considering P.Xing my lovely Lakland 55-01 as i fancy something new and have struggled with 5 strings. I don't know why but i have always had a soft spot for Fenders Cabronita Precision. However i also like the Epiphone Jack Casady and the new Ibanez SR750. All very different, but which of the three would you go for?

I will be very interested to see what you guys think, or is there something else for similar money i should be considering?

Those basses are so different I think you need to better define what you're looking for in your new bass.

What sort of stuff do you play? what sort of sound are you looking for? I think it's more important to find which one best fits you rather than
everyone else :)

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1427905671' post='2735753']
Those basses are so different I think you need to better define what you're looking for in your new bass.

What sort of stuff do you play? what sort of sound are you looking for? I think it's more important to find which one best fits you rather than
everyone else :)
[/quote]

I'm just curious about what other players like.

I'm not really after advice about which to buy; I think they are all probably good basses in their own way and i will be trying all three out, plus any others which are suggested. I actually play in a few different bands, so could use each of them in at least one!

The Ibanez looking at all the specs and pu config should be the more versatile bass. The Fender and Epiphone while nice and i would love either one are somewhat limited designs. For me the ibanez will have the better neck too. So if it were me and i had the money i would have the sr750.

All are lovely looking guitars.

Edited by Twincam

I'd vote for the Ibanez too, but that's because I've previously owned two SRs and they're brilliant - versatile, well-balanced, lightweight.

I would play before you buy, whatever you choose - in the case of the Ibbys, the necks are very thin & a lot of people don't get on with them.

Jon.

On looks alone, I would have the Epi JC. Don't dismiss it for lack of versatility, as it can cover any style, even slap. I've seen and heard it being used in a 70's type band and it sounded fantastic. The online reviews are great too.

The Fender is...a Fender and everyone's has or had one. The Ibanez looks very dull to me.

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1427907177' post='2735769']
I'm just curious about what other players like.

I'm not really after advice about which to buy; I think they are all probably good basses in their own way and i will be trying all three out, plus any others which are suggested. I actually play in a few different bands, so could use each of them in at least one!
[/quote]

If you're looking for other suggestions then give a Yamaha BB series bass a try. I was very very surprised how good they were. I'm using a BB425 which is cheap as chips and am amazed at how good it is, not just for the money, it's just good.

If I'm still of this opinion in a few months time then I'll be considering the BB1025.

the fender and the epiphone (especially) have got big bodies compared to the ibanez so you may find that a little odd as the laklands are of the fender ilk.
The SR range is know for being versatile and i can get a nice precisiony tone from just the neck pup on mine to jazzy to mellow etc. and like Bassasin said the necks are very slim and you may find that something else to get used to, but i find them fast as hell
think they look nice too and just get better the further up the range you go
guess i'm saying go for the ibby :lol:

I would also refute the allegation that the Jack Casady is "limited". OK, so it only has one pickup, but it has a three position varitone which switches in a choke coil at various points. The numbers on the switch are 50, 250, 500 - I have no idea what that means electronically but soundwise it comes out as "polite", "irritated" and "angry" ;) Three different "voices" in addition to a tone control - I wouldn't call that "limited".

It's also super light, so great for people with bad backs, bad shoulders, or stupid fools who bruise their ribs days before back to back gigs the same night...

I recently sold mine to free up some funds, but when I'm flush again I will definitely get another (I had a gold top but it looks well tasty in white...)

I had a Cabronita, played it for a while, then sold it on. I liked the look of it, it was nice, but not nice enough or interesting enough to keep.

Can't comment on the Ibanez, but they seem to attract little in the way of derision or mockery on here, so I'm guessing they make good, solid gear in a quiet, Yamaha-y kind of way.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1428052227' post='2737416']
I would also refute the allegation that the Jack Casady is "limited". OK, so it only has one pickup, but it has a three position varitone which switches in a choke coil at various points. The numbers on the switch are 50, 250, 500 - I have no idea what that means electronically but soundwise it comes out as "polite", "irritated" and "angry" ;) Three different "voices" in addition to a tone control - I wouldn't call that "limited".

It's also super light, so great for people with bad backs, bad shoulders, or stupid fools who bruise their ribs days before back to back gigs the same night...

I recently sold mine to free up some funds, but when I'm flush again I will definitely get another (I had a gold top but it looks well tasty in white...)

I had a Cabronita, played it for a while, then sold it on. I liked the look of it, it was nice, but not nice enough or interesting enough to keep.

Can't comment on the Ibanez, but they seem to attract little in the way of derision or mockery on here, so I'm guessing they make good, solid gear in a quiet, Yamaha-y kind of way.
[/quote]

Would you say the sound from the Cabronita pup was fairly limited then?

I really like the look but clearly a standard P seems more versatile.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1428059842' post='2737583']
Would you say the sound from the Cabronita pup was fairly limited then?

I really like the look but clearly a standard P seems more versatile.
[/quote]

The sound from the Fidelitron didn't wow me (sounded pretty good in isolation (in the guitar shop) but a bit meh when the rest of the band waded in), but that's just personal preference.

I don't really understand why you would say that. Why would a standard P be any more or less versatile than a Cabronita? They've both got one pickup, one volume control and one passive treble cut tone control. The basic sound coming out of it will be different because of the change in pickup but apart from that, it's the same. It just comes down to which pickup you prefer the sound of, I guess.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1428061069' post='2737612']

The sound from the Fidelitron didn't wow me (sounded pretty good in isolation (in the guitar shop) but a bit meh when the rest of the band waded in), but that's just personal preference.

I don't really understand why you would say that. Why would a standard P be any more or less versatile than a Cabronita? They've both got one pickup, one volume control and one passive treble cut tone control. The basic sound coming out of it will be different because of the change in pickup but apart from that, it's the same. It just comes down to which pickup you prefer the sound of, I guess.
[/quote]

Yep understood.....i should have included that i'm considering for future modifications.