Why become a member? ×

Gigging after surgery - am I being over optimistic?

FinnDave

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience of gigging soon after a surgical operation. I underwent a 5 hour abdominal op last Thursday, came home Saturday evening and have gigs booked Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I am currently rather vagued out on painkillers but do not want to let my band, bookers, and audience down.

I'll be doing 2x45 mins sets on each day and the rest of the band understand my situation and will not expect me to carry or set up any gear. Planning on DI-ing my Jazz bass into the PA via Sansamp, so no amp or cab to get in or out of the car, etc. My wife will drive me there and back (both gigs are local, one about a mile and half away, the other about 200 yards from home) as I am not allowed to drive for at least 3 weeks post surgery.

Anyone got any relevant (or irrelevant, I'm bored sitting here!) experiences to share?

A few years ago I had a two-in-one operation to repair an umbilical hernia AND remove three-quarters of my stomach (long story). It took about a week before I could walk again, but I was playing the bass before that, and was gigging as soon as I could stand up.

As long as you get help with your gear and you have a 'minder' or 'carer' on hand ( I always do! :D) you should be fine. The key to all this is not to worry about being vague on painkillers, but to take twice as many as you need and enjoy the experience. ;)

Get well soon!

Edited by discreet

I forgot to mention that I recovered consciousness to find that my right hand index finger was completely numb from the last joint upwards. The numbness is slowly fading, but not evenly, one bit at a time. I tried playing and it didn't seem to make much difference, which surprised me.

I had 3 surgeries between late September and late November last year. I had a gig* about 3 weeks after my last surgery and that went fine, our drummer brought a bass combo for me in his van. I didn't do any heavy lifting and nothing above shoulder height. It sounds like your op was more invasive than mine. I think your target of this Friday is ambitious but might be achievable given all the help you've described in your post, without knowing all the exact details it's hard for us to judge for sure.

* - I was actually depping as cover for my replacement, as I'd retired before my ops for health reasons. I've played 7 gigs in the last 4 months anyway.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427715742' post='2733296']
I would certainly beforehand try to find the best seated position or best stool to take along with you...
[/quote]

Don't forget, the doctor will probably want to examine a specimen of the stool.

Positive mental attitude is really important when facing health challenges, overdoing it too soon because you don't want to let people down could be totally counterproductive.

Invasive abdominal surgery can really mess up your core support, so please don't be tempted to pump yourself full of pain killers and play standing up, or with your bass on a strap - play sitting down on a chair with the weight of your bass supported on your lap and don't try to be a hero. If you can't manage to play sitting down like this without altering your painkiller dosage, you shouldn't be doing the gig - good health is priceless, and post op complications for abdominal surgeries can be very serious, so FFS talk to your doctor/surgeon and accept their advice, in the worst case a couple of cancelled gigs won't damage anyones health.

I had a hernia repair op some years ago and assumed (since it was only a day case) I'd be up and running about almost straight away. Felt like a really old man upon recovering consciousness and was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't to drive for two weeks or lift anything heavier than a kettle full of water. I don't know the extent of your procedure (which sounds a lot more complicated than mine) but it sounds like playing seated and having everything brought to you (including the bass) is a sensible precaution. Good luck!

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1427728087' post='2733539']
Positive mental attitude is really important when facing health challenges, overdoing it too soon because you don't want to let people down could be totally counterproductive.

Invasive abdominal surgery can really mess up your core support, so please don't be tempted to pump yourself full of pain killers and play standing up, or with your bass on a strap - play sitting down on a chair with the weight of your bass supported on your lap and don't try to be a hero. If you can't manage to play sitting down like this without altering your painkiller dosage, you shouldn't be doing the gig - good health is priceless, and post op complications for abdominal surgeries can be very serious, so FFS talk to your doctor/surgeon and accept their advice, in the worst case a couple of cancelled gigs won't damage anyones health.
[/quote]

This.....definitely.

After five hours of abdominal surgery, your lower trunk will take more than a bit of time to recover. How long can you sit up straight without leaning back against something ? or slumping ?

it really is best to seek the advice of your surgeon, or his registrar, as someone has said earlier. Gig in haste, repent at leasure.

Best wishes for a good and speedy recovery

Thanks for the advice, I did ask the surgeon about this before the op and he thought it would be OK from his point of view so long as I didn't carry anything heavy. I am more interested in the opinions of other bass players who have more idea of what is involved than my surgeon would, who has not played any gigs as far as I know :)

I would cancel the gig (or get a dep if that's possible) if there's any chance of it screwing you up in the long run.

Don't be afraid to say no, especially when it comes down to self preservation. There'll be other gigs.

You know the script - Women, children and the rhythm section first! ;)

Best of luck With it all.

Edited by miles'tone

Dont under estimate the effort of standing for two hours let alone one with a 10kg weight on your neck. There are all sorts of core muscles keeping you up which happen without you realisaing it. A common torture technique is to just make someone stand, for hours....

The danger is you rip somthing, bleed internally, dont realise and then pass out / die through blood loss or septicemia.

Take a pew if I were you.

I'm thinking bar stool rather than low seat so I am more or less at the same height as usual. In fact I often play like that at rehearsals, so I know it should be OK.

I don't think the band would appreciate the drama of seeing me carted off in an ambulance half way through the first gig!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1427748764' post='2733914']
I am more interested in the opinions of other bass players who have more idea of what is involved than my surgeon would, who has not played any gigs as far as I know
[/quote]

Your surgeon...not us bass players....is best suited to know what effect a physical strain like standing (even sitting) for a two hour gig, is going to have on your over all recovery.

I understand your dilemma, but as has been said already....what price your health ?

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1427714606' post='2733276']
I underwent a 5 hour abdominal op last Thursday, came home Saturday evening and have gigs booked Good Friday and Easter Sunday. [/quote]

Do I think you're mad?
Yes

Would I do it?
Of course I bl**dy would. :D

Don't be tempted to increase your painkillers for the night though - if your body is shouting 'STOP!', you don't want to be masking that message.

Leave the lugging to the others, keep bending down to the minimum and make sure you don't trip over anything. :)