Why become a member? ×

Gigging after surgery - am I being over optimistic?

FinnDave

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1427810177' post='2734497']
Your surgeon...not us bass players....is best suited to know what effect a physical strain like standing (even sitting) for a two hour gig, is going to have on your over all recovery.

I understand your dilemma, but as has been said already....what price your health ?
[/quote]

Absloutely this.

If I was in your position I wouldn't even be considering playing. I certainly wouldn't be soliciting advice off a bunch of people who probably see it as some kind of macho badge of honour to say they did a gig just after having surgery.

Bottom line (IMO) - health is far more important than any bloody gig.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1427728087' post='2733539']
Positive mental attitude is really important when facing health challenges, overdoing it too soon because you don't want to let people down could be totally counterproductive.

Invasive abdominal surgery can really mess up your core support, so please don't be tempted to pump yourself full of pain killers and play standing up, or with your bass on a strap - play sitting down on a chair with the weight of your bass supported on your lap and don't try to be a hero. If you can't manage to play sitting down like this without altering your painkiller dosage, you shouldn't be doing the gig - good health is priceless, and post op complications for abdominal surgeries can be very serious, so FFS talk to your doctor/surgeon and accept their advice, in the worst case a couple of cancelled gigs won't damage anyones health.
[/quote]

Very wise words here indeed. If you can get a comfortable seat/stool that will support you and allow you to play with the bass on your lap with absolutely no discomfort, then it may be achievable. But (and here I speak from experience) if you're going under general anaesthetic, then be prepared to be absolutely shattered for days afterwards, often even longer. After my op last year (a measly thyroidectomy), it was well over a week before I gigged, and even then it really took it out of me to the extent that had I had a gig the following night, I would have had to cancel.

Speak to your GP because, with the greatest respect to the wonderful folk on here, we'll always try to find a way to gig, even to the detriment of our health!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427816348' post='2734589']
True, but it's not too late to move your position so that it doesn't hurt. :)
[/quote]

If your body is crying.."STOP"...that is it's message that all is not right and it would be prudent to heed the message. What happens if the "new" position also hurts ?

I'd rather be a recovering "wimp" and not do the gig, than a "re admittance to hospital" macho man hero. ;) YMMV etc.

Edited by Coilte

I'm increasingly sure I'll be just fine. Rehearsal tomorrow eve, gigs friday and sunday, each gig is only 2x45 min sets. I will appropriate a bar stool and no one will notice the difference.

In case people missed it, the reference to doubling the painkillers was a joke, I am steadily reducing my dosage and want to be aware of difficulties at the gigs rather than being insensitive to them.

Anyway, I am used to pain, I ride a Harley! Probably used to humiliation as well as I play Fender basses and use Ashdown amps!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1427878443' post='2735255']
.Anyway, I am used to pain
[/quote]

I'm afraid that's not the point. The message it is trying to give you... is....

Anyway, I genuinely wish you all the best and hope you have an enjoyable gig. :)

On the subject of painkillers - after the hernia op I decided not to take any I'd been prescribed - I thought it better that I knew what movements/activities induced pain and I just avoided doing them - being pain free was a good indication I was behaving myself :)

The docs want us to take the painkillers, though, as we are more relaxed if not in pain and heal more quickly. I'm bumbling along fine on Ibuprofen & Paracetemol now, got off the codeine and tramadol asap as it was screwing my head up too much.