Why become a member? ×

Andy Fraser RIP

DarkHeart

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1426623552' post='2720056']
I'm genuinely saddened by this news. His playing had a major influence on me, he was probably the first bass player I actually sat up to actually listen to. As madshadows said, what a player he was.

RIP
[/quote]
Sums it up from me too. Sadness.
RIP.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1426623552' post='2720056']
I'm genuinely saddened by this news. His playing had a major influence on me, he was probably the first bass player I actually sat up to actually listen to. As madshadows said, what a player he was.

RIP
[/quote]

Says it all! What a player and will be a real miss!

Devastating news. I used to find it hard to comprehend that when I played my first gig at age 16, included on the set was a song recorded by a bassist who was almost my age when he laid the track down (Fire and Water, in case you're wondering). A true inspiration and influence. RIP :(

Poo.

Andy Fraser, along with Jack Bruce, was an enormous influence on my formative years of bass playing. Now both are gone and I feel old.......

Still, great tunes eh? I think I may go whack on the headphones and play along to Mr Big very loudly indeed.

Sad, sad news. The internet will be full of plaudits for the man and quite right too, but I really feel I need to say "thanks"...When I played with Heartbreaker - an excellent Paul Rodgers tribute band - of course, I played a stack of songs by Free. This meant that I had to sit down and really listen to what Fraser was doing. What an education. Powerful, melodic, inventive and funky. He was unique. I saw him play a while ago in a half empty venue in the Black Country and time had not diminished his musical prowess. One by one, the legends slip away, but it's always more poignant when that person has been an inspiration to you. The skinny kid with the cherry red Gibson bass and the wry smile has gone. His legacy is peerless. Thanks Andy. Thanks a lot.

Edited by rushbo