Why become a member? ×

MODERATORS: HEADS UP!!! TOO MANY SELLERS IN TWO MINDS!!

Apothem

I do think that we should have a similar thing to the Steve Lawson forum, whereby you have to have posted a certain number of postings before being allowed to advertise in the for sale section.

I'm not talking about hundreds or anything, but 10 would be a good number.

Apart from that I think it works well.

I've bought and sold a few things, and met a few really nice people in doing so.

^^^ that would certainly sort a few problems out, it is annoying that people come on here purely to bag bargains and sell their stuff, there are a LOT, and some that have like 100 odd posts, but they are all purely in the bass or effects selling forum :)

We discussed that idea but ended up deciding it wouldn't be very productive. Sure, some people might be encouraged to join in, and some may post 10 posts saying '+1' or similar, annoying everyone. At the end of the day if someone signs up to advertise an item, that means more gear for us to look at and buy, and it helps our google rankings when people search for that particular item, and the quality of the forum isn't watered down by making people post when they don't really want to.

The more the merrier I say, and if people want to stay in 'items for sale' then fair enough.

At the end of the day if the situation got really out of hand we would HAVE to do SOMETHING, but as it is, I can count the number of problems on my hand, and most of these were things that could have been avoided if the guidelines and advice were followed. I think that is quite incredible considering the number of things that are sold and advertised here every day.

I like it nice and casual.

Easy now

ped

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='264551' date='Aug 18 2008, 01:41 PM']I am astonished that any of this matters to anyone.[/quote]

apparently back on page one, the OP got upset that a seller had withdrawn something he (the buyer) had most likely been stalking hoping the price would come down further... (I'm supposing here, the actual real reason isn't mentioned)

Bit like a Dutch auction... the price starts high, and then the bidders try and wait each other out as it comes down until either one cracks and decides he's going to miss out if he doesn't make a move or else the price goes under the reserve.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction[/url]

Selling in here is a bit like that... if you price it too high, then no-one nibbles, and if you set it too low, then it gets torn out of your hands by the first to spot it who has ready funds.

[quote name='ped' post='264541' date='Aug 18 2008, 01:34 PM']We discussed that idea but ended up deciding it wouldn't be very productive. Sure, some people might be encouraged to join in, and some may post 10 posts saying '+1' or similar, annoying everyone. At the end of the day if someone signs up to advertise an item, that means more gear for us to look at and buy, and it helps our google rankings when people search for that particular item, and the quality of the forum isn't watered down by making people post when they don't really want to.

The more the merrier I say, and if people want to stay in 'items for sale' then fair enough.

At the end of the day if the situation got really out of hand we would HAVE to do SOMETHING, but as it is, I can count the number of problems on my hand, and most of these were things that could have been avoided if the guidelines and advice were followed. I think that is quite incredible considering the number of things that are sold and advertised here every day.

I like it nice and casual.

Easy now

ped[/quote]

+1 !

[quote name='Apothem' post='264025' date='Aug 17 2008, 05:27 PM']"Oh, I have gigged it today and I have decided it is going nowhere..." "Oh, it was only a feeler, I was in two minds, so it is not up for sale anymore...." Nothing is more irritating than this!!! :)

Reading between the lines: nobody offered what I had in mind, so I 'll have to stick with it for the time being, but I will use a silly excuse... It's free!! I can!!

I would dare to suggest to moderators to charge a fee for putting a bass up for sale, e-bay style. No "feelers" allowed: either it is up for sale at a specific price or it is not. If you do not know what to charge, do some research first and avoid some embarrassment. I know this is a great community but the "For sale" section is the "For sale" section, not the smoochy-smoochy, "oh, lovely!!!! but I am skint " waste of bandwidth!!! Anywhere else you pay to advertise.

If you DEFINITELY want to sell it, be prepared and that's it!! Too many "I will try here, or it will go to e-bay" transformed into "... well, after all, I did not know what I was doing....". Very well, maybe there should be a charge upfront, to clear in advance the mind of people just testing the water. Attracted buyers will visit the site anyway.

In a few words: too many taking advantage of the (free) system.

Please do not flood my mail box with comments, I will not reply. If you want to add something, please do in the open thread. And before anybody asks: yes I have sold a bass here, a cheap one, and if I had known in advance about all the timewasters begging to reserve it for them for the next week/month, only to disappear in the blue yonder, I would have done otherwise. Surely not again.

All the best to convinced sellers that WANT a change and go for it!!

Thanx[/quote]

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Best Laugh i have had all weekend.
No Contracts involved, No Solicitors Involved.
Buyers and sellers can do what the want!
About time you crashed landed into the 21st centuary my friend, and got a life!

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='264551' date='Aug 18 2008, 01:41 PM']I am astonished that any of this matters to anyone.[/quote]

In the past I got a bit annoyed but refrained form posting, thesedays I agree wholeheartedly with Ped and your comment - it really shouldn't matter at all!

[quote name='lowdown' post='264639' date='Aug 18 2008, 03:20 PM']:) :huh: :huh: :huh:

Best Laugh i have had all weekend.
No Contracts involved, No Solicitors Involved.
Buyers and sellers can do what the want!
About time you crashed landed into the 21st centuary my friend and got a life!

Garry[/quote]

:huh:

Bilbo, that was much more eloquently put than I could have managed but made the point I was thinking. Ranting certainly wouldn't be included in the Admin's top 100 preferred approaches to suggesting improvements to the forum.

yorks5stringer did a deal with me recently that took a lot longer than was probably ideal for both of us, but we did the deal all the same. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he's a very patient man. :)

I think any deal just takes a bit of communication between the seller and any potential buyers, and it can all be sorted out in the end.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the For Sale section as it is.

firstly I don't agree with the original poster, he had a bit of a rant, like many people on here rant about various things now and again.

what has surprised me are the willfully belligerent responses, and the ensorsement of such posts by other users.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='265027' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:40 PM']Agree. Bet the response would have been different if tBBC had told him to f*** off - or me come to that.[/quote]
Of course it'd have been different if the BBC had said it ........ tBBC has a different personality and track record. The post in question was out of character but it was also the most entertaining and succinct answer in the thread.

Let's not take it too seriously folks, it's supposed to be "The Local" and if one of my friends goes on a misdirected rant down the pub it is quite common to tell them where the door is in a small number of words!! :)

• 3 months later...

To me, it read like "I was going to buy this bass and then the seller backed out" If that was the case, then yes, it is frustrating but not really the end of the world. If it was just a general gripe (now having read the poster's 2nd post) then that's his perogative to post his view. It is a democracy after all.

Re putting feelers out. I am a new member here but have noticed that most members doing this tend to put "feeler" or "toe in the water" in their header. I still look at the advert because I like to look at basses but I'm under no illusion that it's definately up for sale. There are probably just as many that start purchse proceedings and then realise they shouldn't really be spending out on another instrument and back out so it's a two-way street.

Simple really, if someone is putting feelers out, then put that in the header. Anyone who doesn't want to view the ad, doesn't have to.

Sorted.