Why become a member? ×

Am I too shallow for leaving this band?

MikanHannille

I've played with these guys for a year now. 8 months of rehearsing before we actually did our first gig (I know, one of my frustrations with this band.). Just to say that I am playing for fun these days not for the money.

The problem is these guys (vox, and two guitars) are too much into their own comfort zone. We are a covers band and we advertise ourselves as "from 70's to current hits" band but we seem to be doing mostly 70's rock and roll stuff. Our drummer (a mate of mine) suggested months before our first gig, if we would like to do a support kind of gig for exposure, like do 5-6 songs for the night before the main act but the guys seems reluctant. Even open night jams, they are passive-aggresively turning it down.

70's rock and roll is okay but as I've said we are a covers band but we seem to be more of a tribute band now. Any new songs suggestion being shot down straight away by the vox because people won't know these songs apparently.

Another thing me and the drummer are struggling at the moment is our set list. Our vox seems to think that 40 songs is the right amount of songs for two sets. He claims that each set needs to be at least 1 hour long each. While I do agree that the second set could potentially be longer than the first one but 40 songs for two sets seems to be too much isn't it?

My main issue here is with the vox, while he can deliver his vocals really good he's also so unbelievably stubborn and inconsistent. This January he said he wanted to gig as much as possible, that he can swap shifts just so he can do the gig. So our drummer did some leg work and managed to books some gigs until June.(one each month) But then he came back to us and said that slow down with the bookings as it's too much and he has to prioritise his work.

It's just frustrating and not fun anymore I've told our drummer that I'm playing the upcoming gig on Feb 14 and that's it for me. I'm done. Is my reason too shallow or what?

I think one of them doesn't want to gig and is putting any excuse he can find to hinder the whole reason for the band in the first place.
8 months is way too long and you've been too patient.
I think bands should have gigs lined up before they even start.

It doesn't matter how many songs you have if you never get out there and play them...
I'm surprised you've lasted this long, tbh..

One of my very earliest bands took an age to finally gig with me on board, I was a relative beginner and they were all older, experienced players who had gigged lots in the past, taken a break and then looking to get back into it so I foolishly went with it but I wouldn't now. Turning down songs that 'people won't know' is often shorthand for 'songs that I don't really know, probably can't sing and can't be bothered with learning right now'. You joined a band in the expectation of regular gigs in sensible time frame and they haven't delivered, I don't think that's shallow at all.

Thanks guys. I was just thinking about how much work I put into it and just ending up like that would be shame. But that seems to be the more logical solution right now.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1422892535' post='2677962']
I thought you were going to tell us you were leaving because you didn't like the other band members' dress sense or haircuts. But it sounds like you have valid reasons, so not shallow at all!
[/quote]

Actually it's only me and the drummer who has actual hair left! :lol:

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422894246' post='2677995']
One of my very earliest bands took an age to finally gig with me on board, I was a relative beginner and they were all older, experienced players who had gigged lots in the past, taken a break and then looking to get back into it so I foolishly went with it but I wouldn't now. Turning down songs that 'people won't know' is often shorthand for 'songs that I don't really know, probably can't sing and can't be bothered with learning right now'. You joined a band in the expectation of regular gigs in sensible time frame and they haven't delivered, I don't think that's shallow at all.
[/quote]

Age-wise I think we were in a similar place. I'm the youngest being 25 with them well in their 40's and up. Experience-wise it seems that it's the opposite although the vox claims he's been gigging for 20 odd years.

You don't have to be in any band you don't want to be in, only thing I think is that if anyone leaves a band it should be done in such a way that you honour any commitments that you agreed when they where booked or make sure a new player is in place.

Seems to me the gigs are the fun part no?
Rehearsing 70s rock songs for 8 months doesn't seem like any fun at all to me.
I bet you do Alright now don't you?

You have 4 reasons to leave.
1/you don't like the singer and think he's pompous and controlling and lazy.
2/you don't like the guitarist and think he's lazy and not interested in music after 1976
3/you don't like the set which is full of 40 year old dad rock songs.
4/you will never get an equal say in how the set and gig list develops because they will always insist their experience (20 years man and boy) means they get to do it their way.

You don't have to waste another year with musical dead ends, there are absof***ing loads of bands looking for committed bassists.
Good luck.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422901803' post='2678148']
If your doing this for fun and not money why are gigs an issue?

Blue
[/quote]

Gigs or not, integrity counts. Saying one thing (that others act on...), then reneging, thus wasting the efforts of the others, is not on. Being up-front from the off would be preferable. That's how I see the situation. Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='MikanHannille' timestamp='1422891210' post='2677934']
It's just frustrating and not fun anymore
[/quote]

Perfectly valid reasons to bag it mate.

Got to ask though, 8 months of rehearsals before your first gig and you didn't see the signs ? :huh:

Les

8 months of rehearsal is WAY too long. I like to be well-rehearsed personally, but in fact it's better to get out as soon as possible even if it's not totally 100% - it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking your sets have to be absolutely polished and perfect before gigging - this is a waste of time because it really doesn't work like that. You want to get good at playing gigs, not good at doing rehearsals...