Why become a member? ×

Closing songs! Any ideas?

Truckstop

Don't dream it's over - Crowded House
Somebody to Love - Queen
Elbow - one day like this
Oasis - Cigarettes and Alcohol, and.....

Manilow - Copacabana. Seriously. Saw a pub band do it and the place went mental - everybody knows the words, even if they don't think they do, and it's a cracking song.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1420904280' post='2654807']
I hesitated before posting the vid because of that. We've broken her of that habit now!
[/quote]

If we had Jenny Haan as our singer, we'd let her keep the music stand... still can't get over that story of how you 'found' her in your mum's kitchen! fairy tale stuff. :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1420910660' post='2654940']
If we had Jenny Haan as our singer, we'd let her keep the music stand... still can't get over that story of how you 'found' her in your mum's kitchen! fairy tale stuff. :)
[/quote]

I still chuckle to myself when I remember that first meeting (our kitchen, my mother in law lives with us), and the look on the faces of the rest the band the first time she sang with us! She still makes the hairs in the back of my neck stand on end when she sings, even in rehearsals that voice is still mindblowing.

We finish with a 100 mph version of Pretty Vacant which morphs into Hey Jude (just the na na bits) with a chuggy "intro the band and say thanks to everyone" feel. Shouldnt work morally but always goes down a riot ��
We can split the crowd into bass side vs gtr side to see who can sing the loudest too which is fun.

And if its a muso type of gig sometimes we finish with Comfortably Numb so the geetards can show off a bit more.

Edited by Mudpup

We normally end the main set with something obvious - normally Sex On Fire or Sweet Child, then for an encore 500 Miles and/or Sweet Home Alabama, however actually [I]ending[/I] the night on Under The Bridge.

We found ending on something slower calms people down and reduces the requests for more and more songs.

We usually end with James "Sit Down" but now we have our original drummer (and his backing vocals) back we are reviving Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" which always went down a total storm but had to be the final drunken song as we don't have a Freddie in the band that can deliver the full vocal power

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1420911544' post='2654967']
I still chuckle to myself when I remember that first meeting (our kitchen, my mother in law lives with us), and the look on the faces of the rest the band the first time she sang with us! She still makes the hairs in the back of my neck stand on end when she sings, even in rehearsals that voice is still mindblowing.
[/quote]

Her voice here is fookin' amazing, lucky you are......still cant work out the music stand though :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPZr59edD_E

Saw a mates band finish with the punked up version of 'I'm a believer' á la the end of Shrek, to a hells angel crowd, they went mental on the dance floor, one of the memories that will always stay with me :)

We'll do whole lotta rosie, or maybe Saturday nights alright for fighting depending on whether the crowd are singing or dancing.

We finish with 3 as an encore

ACDC whole lotta Rosie - 9 times out of 10 we get the Angus cheers in the right place
Miser's version of the cranberries zombie
Metallica enter sandman

Has yet to fail, if they still scream for more we chuck in either the trooper or run to the hills if they haven't been used in the main sets

Edited by scoobystig

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1420923775' post='2655191']
Her voice here is fookin' amazing, lucky you are......still cant work out the music stand though :)

[/quote]

A security blanket as she was unsure of some of the lyrics...she had to learn a whole set of songs when she joined us and was also preparing for a festival appearance with Babe Ruth in Milwaukee. Even now we sometimes have to feed her the first line of a song, then she's off :)

Just realised you linked to a video of White Rabbit, she had been with us 2 or 3 weeks then. Video taken by my daughter on her iPhone, so please excuse the quality.

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1420925939' post='2655235']

Just realised you linked to a video of White Rabbit, she had been with us 2 or 3 weeks then. Video taken by my daughter on her iPhone, so please excuse the quality.
[/quote]

Quality was fine and the performance was ace...could hear the bass better than that other clip too :)