Why become a member? ×

To 5 string or not to 5 string? That is the question.

kulabula

I've been playing a few years now, all in covers bands. And it will probably stay that way. Do I take the leap and add another string for the versatility? I understand that it takes some getting used to, so there is no point swapping between 5 and 4 until you're cool with it.

Advice and opinions please ?

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1417160613' post='2617556']
I say try it and if it works great. If it doesn't work you at least know. If you buy from on here chances are you shouldn't really lose money on the bass if you do decide it isn't for you.
[/quote]

Excellent advice! B)

One thing I would add too - try to get the best fiver you can afford, and buy second-hand. If you get a "cheap" one, you may find it awkward to play due to the quality of the instrument rather than the fact that it has five strings! I know this to my cost... :(

I tried fives and went back to fours mainly as my current band doesn't require (or even suit) the lower notes. But I do still like to fiddle on a fiver now and again! ;)

I went 5 years ago, having the extra range is useful, you can go low instead of high with some walking lines if the notes fit. I was mucking about with the low end at rehearsal last night. Playing "We've got to get out of This Place" starting on the low C with a bit of dirt is interesting. I liked it, but I'm not sure it necessarily works :)

Try it, what's the worst that can happen? ;)

Edited by Si600

I didn't have much of a problem making the transition from 4 to 5 strings, and played 5's exclusively for around 10 years before going back to a 4. Now seriously contemplating picking up a 5 again. Don't forget though, having a 5 isn't just about having those extra lower notes - it's also about being able to play lines with minimal hand movement by playing across the fretboard as opposed to up and down the fretboard (if that makes sense). :)

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1417164469' post='2617599']
I didn't have much of a problem making the transition from 4 to 5 strings, and played 5's exclusively for around 10 years before going back to a 4. Now seriously contemplating picking up a 5 again. Don't forget though, having a 5 isn't just about having those extra lower notes - it's also about being able to play lines with minimal hand movement by playing across the fretboard as opposed to up and down the fretboard (if that makes sense). :)
[/quote]

Sound advice - it's really handy to be able to work in a different position, makes changes from nut-12th fret regions much simpler if you can reposition.

5 strings also offer up tonal variety to play with if you want to smooth out the attack from an open string. I find that care has to be taken with higher frets on the B though as intonation is (as far as reading tells me) less accurate further up past 12th fret.

I started out with a really nice (for the monay) ESP 5-String as a try it and see bass. Wasn't up to the standard of my Sterling oth px'd for a Warwick Thumb 5 BO. Love the playability but find it very neck-heavy, will probably swap it out soon - thinking Dingwall.

5's aren't all about the low notes, which they have and which come in very useful and sound great in a large number of songs, they are about increased flexibility, as others have said.

I don't understand why others assume that because you play a 5 string bass you [i]have[/i] to play low notes! You can but you don't have to.

5's give you a range of options which you don't get on a 4 stringed instrument.

I'd agree about getting the best instrument you can afford, I've got both 34" and 35" basses and I prefer the feel and sound of the 35" scale. I'd also point out that ultimately you should plan to upgrade your amp and cabs. A good 5 string bass at volume and with a fat warm tone should be allowed to thunder through the best rigs.

I bought a good but reasonably priced 5 to try. I love the sound of the low B, and for a lot of straightforward stuff it makes finding a note lower than bottom E a doddle.
Faster pieces in the middle frets and middle strings is still a bit exciting, I still get confused about exactly where I am, but that's my fault for not committing fullyto 5 strings and not practising more.
If you had learned on a five, you wouldn't even think twice about it.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1417166981' post='2617633']
I have regularly seen the fifth string being used only as a thumb rest.
[/quote]
That works though - use it only when you can usefully exploit the advantage is the best way to adapt

I play both depending on the gig. In no way do I think that the extra string is a 'step up'. It's all about tone and how you sit in the band and feel the music. For me, 4 strings generally work best in the mix. That's personal of course. I think you definitely should nourish your curiosity if you have the urge. Keep open minded. Buy something second hand as advised above, that way there's nothing to loose financially. And get something you really like the sound and feel of. But if you have the itch, go for it.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1417170888' post='2617693']
The only way you'll ever know if it works for you is to get one.
[/quote]

Indeed :)

I never really got on with 5's I must say
I don't quite know how or why, but I've never taken to them

I bought myself a cheap 5 stringer a few months back
I've hardly played it, but I will give it some more time in future
Mostly I bought it just to give playing 5's more of a go....

There is added flexibility, I'm sure, but I find 4's more comfortable to play

I tried a few 5'ers before buying, and generally found the string spacing was a problem for me
especially when playing finger-style, I found there to be insufficient space between strings
to get my fingers really "in there"....

A fellow local BC'er advertised a second hand Squier P 5 string
and that's the one I opted for - the wider neck is slightly less comfortable for my left hand
but I found the string spacing much wider and better for my right hand
It all depends on what's most comfortable to you - so try a couple

Buying that Squier P for a reasonable amount, I know I'm not going to lose much if I decide to sell it on

So try a couple, and get something either second-hand, or go for something like a Squier....
I've now got 3 Squier basses..... and they're all really good instruments

EDIT: I was quite surprised at just how different some models are,
in terms of neck width and in particular, string spacing....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1417172114' post='2617707']
Are the necks much wider on a five string?
[/quote]

Very approximately 1/4 as wide again... :) Some are actually 'reasonably' narrow, but that can make the string spacing a bit tight and not everyone likes that.

As has been said - the only way you will find out is to get one and live with it for a while. I tried a cheap one, didn't get on with it. Coupe of years later to cure a particularly strong episode of GAS for a 5er I bought an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection one (SB-315?), which was a great quality instrument at a great price, and still didn't get on with it.

No one [i]has[/i] to play a 5 string bass. But advice that I have never understood is that some numbers are better on a 4, or covers that were originally recorded on a 4 [i]should[/i] be played on a 4 string bass.

I have a 4 string bass sitting right there every time I go out and gig. I play midi bass lines, 4 string bass lines and even some 3 string bass lines on my 5 string bass. That's the flexibility I mentioned earlier.

As others have stated - get the best you can afford. The problem with a lot of 5er's is the indistinct B string which IME can be found on entry level 5's as well as higher end instruments. I used to own a '96 Fender USA deluxe Jazz V which was a lovely instrument, but man, that bloody B string may as well have been made from wool. I believe the general rule is the longer the scale the better tension (across all strings as well as the low B string). :)

Edited by Grassie

I've pretty much only played five string basses since 1989. Can't remember ever having any need to "get used to it". These days I find it easier to play even if I don't use the low B for either notes or playing position as I find the position of the E string far more comfortable than on a 4-string bass.

If you are going to try one out make sure it has a decent sounding and feeling low B. Unfortunately IME that means spending more money than you would on a 4-string bass. I see so many times people having said they didn't like 5-string basses only to find that they had played cheap ones that frankly weren't very good. A 5-sting bass is not a 4-string with a wider neck and an extra machine head. It need to right construction and pickups to give a B string that feels and sounds right.

Also IME 35" scale is a bit of a red herring. It is used too many times by manufacturers of cheaper 5-string basses to try and get a decent low B. It rarely works. Fine if you like the wider fret spacing, but don't expect and extra inch (less than 3% of the overall speaking length of the string) to make a difference. Any manufacturer/luthier capable of making a good 35" scale 5-bass can make one the is just as good with 34" scale.

After playing 5ers quite a lot back in the day I went through a phase of only playing certain vintage brands (Ric/MM/Fender) that didn't do 5ers in the models I wanted to be seen on stage with. Now that I've regained some common sense again I find 4ers really restrictive. I've still got two, both Rics, but both would be better with the extra string. I'm tempted to try and covert one of the Rics, which has both a lovely wide neck and fortuitously one of the long headstocks, to a 5er. Look at for that thread!

A 5 may well be the best route for you, however as an alternative, I've recently re-learned the songs we do where the original was in Eb (sweet Child O'mine and Basket Case) in Drop-D. After Christmas I'll be looking for a Hipshot X-tender to make the change between tunings snappy and then I'll only need one bass for the whole set - I currently swap to another tuned down a semi-tone for those two songs.

That all said, I do wish I had a 5 string for Runaway Baby, as we do it in C, so I can't do the octave shift in the verse :(

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1417179589' post='2617837']
I've still got two, both Rics, but both would be better with the extra string. I'm tempted to try and covert one of the Rics, which has both a lovely wide neck and fortuitously one of the long headstocks, to a 5er. Look at for that thread!
[/quote]Have a word with the well known modifier on Ebay. I would imagine he would be only too happy to do it for you :)