Why become a member? ×

To 5 string or not to 5 string? That is the question.

kulabula

Well, having had the five string for a few days now and I am finding that the option of being able to play stuff in different positions great. For the band that I'm depping with this week it is making the set list a lot easier. But I'm definitely not 100% yet, but given more time and practice, I'm sure I will make the change quite happily.
This instrument itself is awesome, I love the sound and the eq is really good. I went for a TRB off here in the end. Very nice chap in Leeds sold me it .

i made the transition to a 5er many years ago, i swap between 4 and 5 but it's usually the 5 string Letts that gets the gig, the best advice i can give is to watch out for the low B ringing out when you don't want it to, i have learnt floating thumb technique and the difference to my sound is immense, it all sounds cleaner and more precise.

Matt

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417340556' post='2619200']

The classic poor B manifests itself as a poor flubby D note on the B string ...and poor sustain.... more double bass
than electric bass.
[/quote]

Well, my £246 Squier P5 with standard gauge Chromes has a great B by that definition!