Why become a member? ×

To 5 string or not to 5 string? That is the question.

kulabula

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1417182751' post='2617891']
Have a word with the well known modifier on Ebay. I would imagine he would be only too happy to do it for you :)
[/quote]
That's just brilliant, turning a real Ric into a Faker. I love it :P

I like having the low D and, as my hands like the spacing of a J but not the dimensions of a J neck, a fiver feels just right. The biggest challenge I found initially was improving my muting technique. Now 3 out of 5 of my basses are fivers and the fours hardly get played. Go for it and, if you find that they're really not for you, there are plenty here on BC who haunt the for sale section :D

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1417183940' post='2617911']
That's just brilliant, turning a real Ric into a Faker. I love it :P
[/quote]

It'll only add to its value :rolleyes:

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1417187201' post='2617979']
... as my hands like the spacing of a J but not the dimensions of a J neck, a fiver feels just right.
[/quote]

Exactly my experience.

I play Sixers, but to be honest I could get away with Five for 90% of the stuff I do, Its only for Looper / Chordal stuff that I use the high C. I find Six string necks comfortable enough so its just as easy to use one in my live bands over a Fiver.

I find the low D indespensible as so many songwriters seem to write in G and it's nice to be able to drop down to the D as the 5th. Thinking about it, in the projects I'm currently involved in, Six tunes need a low D at some point and one needs the low B & C as well so I couldn't play the set with a Four unless I detuned.

Technique wise, you get used to it the same as with different neck dimensions, scale lengths etc...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1417166981' post='2617633']
I have regularly seen the fifth string being used only as a thumb rest.
[/quote]
I have been on a gig where I can see the resident 'expert' telling his mates that I am not playing the B string, nothing but a thumb rest etc etc etc what they dont know is that the songs where I do not use it even for fretted E for example are songs that I sometimes play on Double Bass, I purposefully do not use the B string on any of those many songs to save facing the restriction of four strings on my DB or EUB the next night/week whenever.

The studio I practice in on a tuesday belongs to our guitarist, he is a music teacher and a great bassist/guitarist/drummer, he has an SR505, a Danelectro (?) and a Warwick Thumb BO 4 string, if I go straight from work or on my motorbike I use the SR, I really like it and would happily use one for every gig forever really :)

I'm a 505 user as well.

Having such skinny necks makes them an absolute doddle to play and, with the obvious exception of having an extra string to get used to, I don't notice it as feeling any 'fatter' than a standard 4 string.

My own feeling is that the extra string gives you the latitude to play [b]across[/b] the neck faster - treat the 4 extra 'low notes' as a byproduct and don't be tempted to play everything down there unless you particularly want to tap into the earthworm market. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417199976' post='2618203']
oh I see... I thought you were suggestiong they sounded particularly amazing on a Tuesday :blink:
[/quote]
He had a BBQ in the summer with most of his friends being hippy musos too the night revolves around a jam session, I can confirm it sounded just as amazing on a Saturday night too :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417200923' post='2618222']
He had a BBQ in the summer with most of his friends being hippy musos too the night revolves around a jam session, I can confirm it sounded just as amazing on a Saturday night too :D
[/quote]

Sounds like a pretty cool studio to be honest :)

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1417201006' post='2618223']
I always liked Billy Sheehans answer to that question.
[/quote]

That is fine if you are either Billy Sheehan or you only want to play what he plays, playing Eb on the 6th fret of the A string IMO sounds rubbish if the song is not suitable, Valerie for example.

Don't be put off by this or that B string.
I've found that it's as often your choice of string which affects that, every bit as much as scale length. Your favourite brand might sound crappy - try something different! My favs are TI Jazz Flats, but the B is a flabby 136 gauge monster. Got a Squier P5, couldn't afford the TIs anyway, put Chromes on it. Amazing!
Treat it as a completely new instrument and experiment!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417167648' post='2617640']
.... also, for me switching back and forth between 4's and 5's wasn't helpful. It complicated the learning process so my recommendation is to put the 4 away and don't use it.
[/quote]

That is exactly my problem, switching between a 4 and 5 string bass is not comfortable, I have some lovely 4 string basses and one nice (Godlyke) 5 string, I could easily get very used to the string spacing and adaptability of the 5 string but that would be at the expense of the 4 stringers so for that reason I deliberately don't use the 5 very often as I don't want to get too comfortable with it

I'm going through this very quandary myself at the moment. Only played a 5 string once, in a shop for about ten minutes and it was oodles of fun - but was it a novelty that would soon wear off? Would I find I barely used the extra string, and it would just get in the way after I'd had my initial fun with it?

To be honest, the main consideration is budget - I can't really stretch to a good 5er so I would have to buy an entry level 5er and many people have cautioned against that as it usually means a rather flappety low B.

But I had loads of fun playing a 5 :-)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1417300148' post='2619043']
I'm going through this very quandary myself at the moment. Only played a 5 string once, in a shop for about ten minutes and it was oodles of fun - but was it a novelty that would soon wear off? Would I find I barely used the extra string, and it would just get in the way after I'd had my initial fun with it?

To be honest, the main consideration is budget - I can't really stretch to a good 5er so I would have to buy an entry level 5er and many people have cautioned against that as it usually means a rather flappety low B.

But I had loads of fun playing a 5 :-)
[/quote]
This low B thing - although I've only played entry-level 5s (and a Bongo HH years ago in a shop in Cardiff), I don't believe it affects any bass more than another, scale lengths being equal. String choice must make a huge difference.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1417337808' post='2619171']
This low B thing - although I've only played entry-level 5s (and a Bongo HH years ago in a shop in Cardiff), I don't believe it affects any bass more than another, scale lengths being equal. [b]String choice must make a huge difference[/b].
[/quote]

It does, but not as much as good construction.
I played older Fender 5's that just couldn't be rescued ... I think they never cracked it for quite a while whch is why
I would be wary of older Fender 5's.
And the general low quality sound is why I commisioned my first 5 ..albeit back in '92.
The likes of Lakland brough the standard up and this is why the retain a decent rep for 5's and their B's
but it really isn't a given. I played MM derivatives (Subs ) whihc don't cut it and these are an £800 bass.

The classic poor B manifests itself as a poor flubby D note on the B string ...and poor sustain.... more double bass
than electric bass.