Why become a member? ×

Some Pratt on Jools Later just now thinking he's the dog's bollocks!

merello

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1415407619' post='2600158']
Burgundy mist 64 with EMGs I think. But yes agreed - excellent. Bryan Ferry seems to be one of the few these days who has a band with a 'proper' bass sound rather than something from 50-60 yrs ago!!
[/quote]

Yes, just had a listen on youtube and unlime most acts on JH, the bass was clearly present in the mix. And Mr Ferry still looks as cool as ever as well.

I thought there might be a thread about this.
It's funny but as soon as that first song started I thought it had a Ice Hosue feel to it, and then I saw who was on bass. Coincidence I know but nevertheless.

Lovey tone and playing. I really like guys playing. Seeing all those jazz basses was also nice.

Yeah, thought he was awesome. One of my all time favourite bassist ever since I watched Pink Floyd Live in Venice. (In 1995, on a VHS - recorded off the telly by my old man!)

Thought Paul Rogers' bassist was good too, and even though it's not my usual cup of tea I quite enjoyed the Fuse dude too - bassist had a lovely 5 string Jazz.
On the whole, a great episode for bassists. (Particularly those of the Jazz Bass persuasion!)
Would have been nice if David Gilmour did a wee number with Guy, but hey, can't have it all!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415441490' post='2600315']
Great player who is a member here. Shame he felt the need to have to 'leave'

Ferry knows the value of a great band ...it keeps him going.
[/quote]
Never knew that...why?
He's quite happy to tweet.

Yep, old Betsy was sounding rather nice. And that is a decent drummer as well. The band looked as if they were really enjoying themselves but regarding Ferry`s vocals, did you notice that the backing singers were doubling every word that he sang? Just his style or is his voice shot?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1415454436' post='2600503']
Did Guy play on the new PF album?
[/quote]My CD is on the way from Amazon for release day - Monday :) I'll have a look at the credits B)

Meant to add - yes saw Guy on Jools Tuesday, great band with Brian Ferry, wondered if Dave Gilmour & Guy had a few beers after :happy:

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415441490' post='2600315']
Great player who is a member here. Shame he felt the need to have to 'leave'
[/quote]
[quote name='merello' timestamp='1415453083' post='2600477']

Never knew that...why?
[/quote]
Another case of a top line, pro bassist being chased off by the lesser mortals of BC, he is not the first. Damned shame.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1415457331' post='2600558']
Another case of a top line, pro bassist being chased off by the lesser mortals of BC, he is not the first. Damned shame.
[/quote]

Yes, a few have joined and then get so much 'stick' that they think it isn't worth the bother...
And after seeing what happened to a couple in print, I can't say I blame them.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1415453944' post='2600495']
Yep, old Betsy was sounding rather nice. And that is a decent drummer as well. The band looked as if they were really enjoying themselves but regarding Ferry`s vocals, did you notice that the backing singers were doubling every word that he sang? Just his style or is his voice shot?
[/quote]

I wouldn't say shot, but Ferry has always had a 'weak' delivery so I just think this is a smart way
of keeping the gig going. And to be fair, he has ALWAYS featured great backing vocals from way back.
I still think he can just about cut it and is still valid as an artist... who doesn't totally rely on plundering his classic
back catologue ...
He can still mix it up which is why he is still watchable, IMO.
That is why I say he knows the value of great bands... and great BV's are always part of that in his bands.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415466116' post='2600670']

Yes, a few have joined and then get so much 'stick' that they think it isn't worth the bother...
And after seeing what happened to a couple in print, I can't say I blame them.
[/quote]

I didn't witness this but it seems a shame

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415466451' post='2600676']
I wouldn't say shot, but Ferry has always had a 'weak' delivery so I just think this is a smart way
of keeping the gig going. And to be fair, he has ALWAYS featured great backing vocals from way back.
I still think he can just about cut it and is still valid as an artist... who doesn't totally rely on plundering his classic
back catologue ...
He can still mix it up which is why he is still watchable, IMO.
That is why I say he knows the value of great bands... and great BV's are always part of that in his bands.
[/quote]

and after all who is going to be scrutinising the man himself too closely when he some skimpy black leather clad ultravixen on drums ?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1415457331' post='2600558']
[/quote]

He was probably told to stop using that pants Ashdown rig and get something better :lol: