Why become a member? ×

Interactions With 'Name' Bassists

spongebob

A few years back, I had a couple of questions about Steve Hanley, ex-bass player of many years from The Fall.

I contacted his band at the time - Tom Hingley And The Lovers - through Myspace (it was a few years ago), and was surprised to get a response from Tom himself. He was very nice, and gave me Steve's direct email, suggesting I drop him a line.

I did, and a couple of months passed with no response. Then one day, a reply! He was very honest, told me all about his basses and amps, and said that when his current rig gives out, he'll pack it in. He was very happy to be asked the questions, as he said that as a bass player, 'most people don't understand'!

Same sort of time, I messaged Steve Garvey, ex-Buzzcocks, to ask what bass he used on 'Strange Thing'. Again, received a nice reply. This time, it was 'I can't remember'! He followed it by suggesting it was some fancy new Ibanez active thingy, but he had no idea what.

Just gave me the idea that if you want to know something, ask!

Please share your similar experiences! :)

There was a thread on here some months ago about the band Greenslade and what bass was used on the album Time and Tide. IIRC the OP asked if it was a Jazz. The bass player in question was Martin Birley. I didn't know but since I'm a fan and love the bass on that album I found that Martin has his own web site so I contacted him though it and within a day he replied. Turned out it was a Ric 4001.

It was nice that he did reply.

When I was 20 my band supported the Stone Roses, about a week after the first album came out (in Stratford Upon Avon of all places). I chatted to Mani for a quite a while at the side of the stage (the others were less approachable, although I recall Ian Brown would go into 'monkey mode' as soon as anyone pointed a camera near him). Mani was very friendly and we ended up laughing about good bass amps being 'trouser flapping' loud. We also talked about his incredible semi-acoustic Rickenbacker and how great it sounded. My stand out memory of the day however was the soundcheck - they just sort of ambled on to the stage one by one and started jamming their songs at an incredibly slow tempo... none of the 'testing testing one two' nonsense for half an hour... it was the coolest thing I have ever seen or heard. Oh, and the road crew were the scariest bunch of manc lads I had even encountered (even though they were wearing flares and floral print t-shirts).

My only interaction with name bassists since then has been at gigs where I have muttered 'great gig/bass/ playing' etc after the show whilst trying desperately not to look like a stalker...

A couple of months ago, Jamiroquai bassist Paul Turner was at Paul's Bass Matters in Nijmegen (here in Holland) to demonstrate the new Stenback basses. I knew he's got a Fender '66 Jazz and I was hoping he brought his. I brought mine anyhow, because I wanted to know what he thought of it. We got chatting and when I mentioned my bass, he said: "Wow! Nice! Do you have it here?!" and it turned out he brought his as well. We talked a length about what's so special about the '66 Jazzes and played each other's basses. He wanted to know all about my De Gier bass and gave me his private email so I could send him some info. Great guy, great player. If I'm in England again, I'll be sure to contact him. He has to hear my bass (cause we couldn't amplify our instruments there).
His bass on the right, mine on the left:

Him on the left (with my bass), me on the right:

Edited by BassAgent

I have had a few of these.

I recently did a performance of Karl Jenkins' Peacemakers with a small orchestra and one of the tunes was a VERY difficult piece to play AND read (it is called One Song - it is on Spotify - 16th notes in 3/4 with a change of clef half way through, chords, weird arpeggios; your average nightmare). I had the charts for about 6 weeks before the gig and spent a lot of time with this tune (the rest is relatively easy) but, on the night, through a mixture of nerves and a lack of experience working with a 'classical' conductor, the piece fell apart (not entirely my fault and not a total trainwreck but definately a low point). I emailed Laurence Cottle, the bass player on the recording, and asked him how much rehearsal time they had. He had done it cold. I always liked his playing but he went up a dozen notches in my estimation.

In the early days of my computer experiences, I emailed California based guitarist Wayne Johnson and told him I had been a fan for years. I asked him if he had any charts from the tunes on one of his early LPs and he said no, they evolved in the playing etc. I told him I was a fan of his bass player Jimmy Johnson and he gave me JJ's email address!! I emailed Flim and got a response, although I cannot remember what he said - I lost the email and address long ago in a computer crash but it was nice to say hi.

In my research for my Paul Chambers book, I also contacted Christian McBride, Ben Wolfe, John Goldsby, Tootie Heath, Jimmy Cobb, Rufus Reid - the list goes on and they all responded but the best was Ron Carter. I emailed him a couple of questions and he emailed me back with two words - 'Call me' and his telephone number :). He was an absolute gentleman, very easy to talk to and really generous with his time and experiences.

It is lovely to know that so many of 'the cats' are so approachable.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1412254213' post='2567175']
I've just remembered that I had an interesting brief email exchange with Tony Visconti. However, it was about his production work, not his bass playing.
[/quote]
Spent a few weeks recording an album with Tony Visconti in 1981. What that man doesn't know about producing records aint worth knowing, a man that knows how to get the best from a musician.

As in all walks of life... you get the good guys, and then you get the ar****les

Edited by SteveK

A few years ago I was invited on a Motorhead related VIP tour of Marshall, met the whole family and was given Jim Marshall's autobiography which he signed to me. I was also taken along to the mini-theatre they have on site ("If you'd been here yesterday you could have watched Slash try out his new amps" :angry: ). I had a Jazz stuck in my hands and the curtains were pulled back to reveal Lemmy's new Sig stacks, nicely warmed up, which were to be delivered the next day, "Can you test them for us?" ;) they said. Meanwhile Danny their marketing guy took pics.

On the next Motorhead tour I was talking with Mikkey Dee & showed him & Lemmy's PA one of Danny's pics. "How did you manage that?....." the PA said, "never mind, tell him yourself" - and gave me a pass. In Lemmy's room we had a good old chat about his amps, his basses, he offered me a Marlboro which I declined since I don't smoke - so he poured me a half pint of neat JD from his 2 litre bottle.
He asked me what I did for a job, at the time I worked in a CD factory's studio, "We did another batch of your "Aces Up My Sleeve" the other day" says I. "That's great" he says, "cos that's just what we f-in need, another f-in hits album, that's what the f-in world needs, another f-in Motorhead hits album" - then I got one of his grins that only starts from the top lip down while his eyes drill holes thru' you.

I also had several meets with Jimmy Lea of Slade during their touring years; one time he showed his new JayDee custom EB3 bass. "Bet you never saw a bass with a wang bar before?" he said.
"There was one in last week's Melody Maker actually" I shot myself in the foot in reply.

I was looking for an amp and Molan pointed me in the right direction.and the seller was Paul Turner.
As it happened, I have a bass that he had built and took it along to see if he recognised it. He did,
but spent the whole time playing my other one which I guess is why he sold the other one... :lol:
Funnily enough, his old one is my fave bass sound-wise.
Really nice guy and we spent a good couple of hours gassing away about all things bass.
And of course, I brought the amp as well.

I once had a chat with that Dan Veall guy. I mean, nice chap n' everything and certainly knows his stuff about all things gear-wise.. but come on... trying to get him to go home. He'll never make money by over running all his lessons...

:unsure: :D :blush: :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1412269144' post='2567379']
I've had email correspondence with both Carol Kaye and Chuck Rainey - both lovely helpful people
[/quote]
Now those are two players I'd go through hell to meet and get time with!

The one player I dream of meeting above all is Pino Palladino, he's the bassist I dream I can be!

Now back on topic! I managed to get a free VIP evening at the Portsmouth Guildhall back in 2012 and it just so happened that it was the night of the Motorhead and Anthrax gig. Anyway, I turned up and went back stage having a quick tour of the place and I got introduced to the whole Motorhead crew and we got chatting and I said I was a bass player so they went off and got Lemmy for me to chat to as he likes a chin wag apparently! He was a real gent, quite shy and nervous at first but soon offered me some of his Jack, an offer you just can't refuse! When talking basses I mentioned I was about to buy a ric so he handed me his and said have a quick noodle! Was an awesome night!

I met Paul Turner and he was a really nice guy. We had a lengthy discussion about effects pedals, as he had his Jamiroquai board with him.

Also, when Pendulum first appeared in the charts and Myspace was still relevant, I sent a message to Gareth, their bassist, to enquire about how much of the bass sound was played by him live, and how the sounds were achieved. He sent me a really quite lengthy reply explaining his setup and how it was all integrated with what the rest of the group was doing.

JamesBass reminded me that years ago (mid 80's) I was doing stuff for a local student newspaper and helping out on a rock show on hospital radio. I went to a venue to do a taped interview with Graeme Murray from Pallas for the radio thing then review the gig for the newspaper. As we chatted I must have mentioned I was trying to pick up the bass and one day I hoped to have a ric. He didn't hesitate in letting me have a noodle on his, sat on the drum stool behind the full band's kit. For a novice it was a real eye opener to get a drummer's eye view of looking out on a venue, even if it was empty at the time. I also recall the ric had an incedibly low action and there seemed to be a lot of fret buzz but live in the hands of mr Murray it sounded immense.

About 12 years ago I was doing FOH sound for a blues weekend and Noel Redding was there as part of some "supergroup". I didn't speak to him much, but my defining memory was when I clapped him on the shoulder with one of my big paws to ask for a line check during setup and I nearly crushed him! He was pretty frail then and died about a year later. Such a shame. I seem to remember he was pretty drunk (I'm assuming it was drink) and had tuned up by ear - started the gig about a tone out with the guitarist!

EDIT: I should mention that I posted this because he was nice and down to earth with me (even if we didn't say much) and seemed to have a lot of respect from the other musos backstage. Then again, if you'd played with Jimi Hendrix, you probably would get respect!

Edited by Huge Hands

Huge, you've set off my memory cells again. I didn't get to talk to Noel but must have come within brushing distance as a mate of mine had all area access to one of the Alexis Korner memorial concerts they used to hold annually at Buxton Opera House. Think that was early 2000's so it might have been around same time. He did a 3 piece with Eric Bell on guitar and John Coghlan on drums. I recall they had a go at Quo's 'Caroline' and it was like a Sunday afternoon jam down your local, Noel couldn't remember half the words and as you say he didn't look in th ebest of health but seemed happy enough. I did get to chat with Bob Harris who was just as nice as you'd expect and Tony Ashton who cut a rather tragic figure by then and like Noel hadn't a lot of years left sadly.

Edited by KevB

I used to do sound and stage work at the Edinburgh Jazz & Blues festival, so have had brief encounters with a number of famous-ish folks. Jools Holland was short & grumpy, Paul Jones was exceedingly friendly. Colin Hodgkinson was there one year as part of some re-formed super group (not the Animals, but along those lines). We spent a very enjoyable 30 mins at sound check coaxing a lovely sound out of the hired-in Ampeg rig, and he was great to chat to. He did a blistering version of Snab's Rag as a solo during the set. B) Spencer Davis was also there that weekend, and my abiding memory of him was that fact that he spend nearly all of his time on the phone. According to his band, he's rarely actually taking to someone, just pretends to be having a conversation to avoid having to deal with real people...

My only other 'name' bass player interaction was with Herbie Flowers. Many moons ago, I wanted to use a piece of his music at my wedding and contacted him to see if he would be OK with it. He wrote a very nice note back, and also included a copy of the sheet music for the whole album the track was on! Gent.