Why become a member? ×

Interactions With 'Name' Bassists

spongebob

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1412516322' post='2569493']

I've heard quite a few stories about Squire from various people over the years; not one of them has been positive.
[/quote]
Yes are playing venues like westcliffe on sea pavilion nowadays aren't they ? Hmmm

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1412607434' post='2570313']
Yes are playing venues like westcliffe on sea pavilion nowadays aren't they ?
[/quote]

Last year or so, they were seen and heard in a prog cruise of sorts (wasn't it called the Close to the Edge Cruise or something? Daft idea anyway: remember what happened to other shipfarers back in the days), where the cruise ship probably started in Florida, loading lots of bands, equipment and old, rich prog fans, after which it sailed between some Carribean islands, whilst the evenings were spent with prog gigs and banter.
Apparently, the price list had the following rough shape: (don't take it too litterally. I'm working off memory and invention here)

Prog cruise: £2,000
Prog cruise + all prog gigs minus Yes: £2,500
Prog cruise + all prog gigs incl. Yes: £3,500
"Compl. Cruise" (Complete Complex Prog cruise) = Prog cruise + all prog gigs + Yes Prog Cruise Special Lim.Ed T-Shirt: £3,700
Compl. Cruise + Yes Meet&Greet: £6.700
Compl. Cruise + May Say "You Haven't Actually Made A Good Album For Forty Years" Yes Meet&Greet: £11.700
Compl. Cruise + Steve Howe handshake Meet&Greet: £ 21.700

One would hope they raised enough pocket money so they could bring a roadie to the Westcliffe on Sea Pavilion.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1412607434' post='2570313']
Yes are playing venues like westcliffe on sea pavilion nowadays aren't they ? Hmmm
[/quote]

I still think they'd do ok at those sort of gigs.
Hopefully, they don't need to make a huge living so just need these top-up gigs.

No one has a devine right to be popular all the time. They have just down-scaled.

I'd guess most bands with a back catalogue can keep busy enough.

10cc, Toyah, Ten Years After ( before AL died ) all have cropped up on bills and the list must be endless....
Europe is full of yesteryear type festivals, as is Rewind.

Etc etc etc ...........

Every 'name' bass player I've met has been friendly and chatty, even Adam Clayton :)

We meet a fair few through our shop and at various trade or consumer events and they seem universally nice people.

Having worked in movie promotion for a good few years I'm afraid the same cannot be said of Hollywood celebs :(

Mind you, some of the movie people are frightening workaholics and super-professional. Arnie really is a machine when it comes to promoting his movies!

I've met Scott Thunes on a couple of occasions - once before a Zappa gig where he was lovely, slightly pre occupied, but approachable and polite, second time after a Dwezill gig and he was really relaxed and chatty.

I met Jim Smith from the Cardiacs, when they supported 'it bites' talked to him for a long while about influences, gear, touring etc - really nice guy, in fact all of the band were.

I met Pete Way at a Quireboys gig in Birmingham back around 1990, he was a splendid chap as expected. Stood and spoke for ages and got the beers in a couple of times. Also chatted to him at the Scottish Rock & Pop Festival in East Kilbride in about 1984 after Waysted's set. Does Nigel Mogg count? He was more interested in my girlfriend. :)

Lemmy bought me a Special Brew in the Bells (next door to the Capitol) in Aberdeen on the Another Perfect Day tour, but that wasn't unusual. He bought beer for anyone who spoke to him! Was on nodding terms with him at the old Marquee eventually too.

I spoke to Chris Glen at the Tarlair Festival in Macduff when the Party Boys played there supporting Fish, Magnum and Jethro Tull. He was happy to yak on about MSG, SAHB and so forth. In other Banff-related encounters, I fixed a bad earth on Tracy Lamb out of Girlschool's bass when they played the local club. Their road crew were stuck somewhere in a traffic jam with most of the gear, and I was doing the DJ-ing for the evening. Really nice girls, the lot of them - Kim, Kelly and Denise too.

Peter Trewavas was also very pleasant - aside from meeting Marillion after gigs back in the day, I had a good chat with him and Fish in 1983 in a rock club the night before they played Aberdeen on the Script tour. Pete gave me a complimentary ticket for the gig (I already had one, and nobody at school the next day wanted the comp. - I still have it, along with my sacred Script For Scotland T shirt.).

Also spoke to Doug Pinnick on the phone from Texas when I worked at the Kerrang! office. Phil Wilding was interviewing him, and let me have a word. Chatted to him at an in-store in Nottingham prior to a Rock City gig too. King's X were all lovely blokes.

Back in the day I had email conversations with Nikki Sixx, mostly about his Thunderbird variants (his email sticks in my mind - [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] - though that was in about 1995), and I've contacted Floyd London of the Almighty recently to confirm that my Thunderbird was built for him originally. He replied very pleasantly, and even sent me a pic of him playing it in Manchester supporting Alice Cooper!

Graeme Murray, as mentioned above, is a chap I've spoken to a few times over the years being from Aberdeen myself. My son is best mates with Pallas's "new" singer's son. Graeme is mostly a lawyer in Torry nowadays.

Finally, Phil Lynott told me to "f*ck off" when I asked him for an autograph out the back of the Capitol on (I think) the Renegade tour. :)

Edited by HengistPod

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1412670883' post='2570818']
I met Pete Way at a Quireboys gig in Birmingham back around 1990, he was a splendid chap as expected. Stood and spoke for ages and got the beers in a couple of times. Also chatted to him at the Scottish Rock & Pop Festival in East Kilbride in about 1984 after Waysted's set. Does Nigel Mogg count? He was more interested in my girlfriend. :)

Lemmy bought me a Special Brew in the Bells (next door to the Capitol) in Aberdeen on the Another Perfect Day tour, but that wasn't unusual. He bought beer for anyone who spoke to him! Was on nodding terms with him at the old Marquee eventually too.

I spoke to Chris Glen at the Tarlair Festival in Macduff when the Party Boys played there supporting Fish, Magnum and Jethro Tull. He was happy to yak on about MSG, SAHB and so forth. In other Banff-related encounters, I fixed a bad earth on Tracy Lamb out of Girlschool's bass when they played the local club. Their road crew were stuck somewhere in a traffic jam with most of the gear, and I was doing the DJ-ing for the evening. Really nice girls, the lot of them - Kim, Kelly and Denise too.

Peter Trewavas was also very pleasant - aside from meeting Marillion after gigs back in the day, I had a good chat with him and Fish in 1983 in a rock club the night before they played Aberdeen on the Script tour. Pete gave me a complimentary ticket for the gig (I already had one, and nobody at school the next day wanted the comp. - I still have it, along with my sacred Script For Scotland T shirt.).

Also spoke to Doug Pinnick on the phone from Texas when I worked at the Kerrang! office. Phil Wilding was interviewing him, and let me have a word. Chatted to him at an in-store in Nottingham prior to a Rock City gig too. King's X were all lovely blokes.

Back in the day I had email conversations with Nikki Sixx, mostly about his Thunderbird variants (his email sticks in my mind - [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] - though that was in about 1995), and I've contacted Floyd London of the Almighty recently to confirm that my Thunderbird was built for him originally. He replied very pleasantly, and even sent me a pic of him playing it in Manchester supporting Alice Cooper!

Graeme Murray, as mentioned above, is a chap I've spoken to a few times over the years being from Aberdeen myself. My son is best mates with Pallas's "new" singer's son. Graeme is mostly a lawyer in Torry nowadays.

Finally, Phil Lynott told me to "f*ck off" when I asked him for an autograph out the back of the Capitol on (I think) the Renegade tour. :)
[/quote]

The Bells, The Capitol, Tarlair Festival - never mind all the famous name dropping, you're getting me all misty eyed for the things that once were, min!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1412609758' post='2570338']

Last year or so, they were seen and heard in a prog cruise of sorts (wasn't it called the Close to the Edge Cruise or something? Daft idea anyway: remember what happened to other shipfarers back in the days), where the cruise ship probably started in Florida, loading lots of bands, equipment and old, rich prog fans, after which it sailed between some Carribean islands, whilst the evenings were spent with prog gigs and banter.
Apparently, the price list had the following rough shape: (don't take it too litterally. I'm working off memory and invention here)

Prog cruise: £2,000
Prog cruise + all prog gigs minus Yes: £2,500
Prog cruise + all prog gigs incl. Yes: £3,500
"Compl. Cruise" (Complete Complex Prog cruise) = Prog cruise + all prog gigs + Yes Prog Cruise Special Lim.Ed T-Shirt: £3,700
Compl. Cruise + Yes Meet&Greet: £6.700
Compl. Cruise + May Say "You Haven't Actually Made A Good Album For Forty Years" Yes Meet&Greet: £11.700
Compl. Cruise + Steve Howe handshake Meet&Greet: £ 21.700

One would hope they raised enough pocket money so they could bring a roadie to the Westcliffe on Sea Pavilion.
[/quote]

Cruise ship gig = two reasons for throwing up.

Edited by bassace

I think I was still at school and I was up in Foote's buying my first double bass - quite 'orrible actually. I bumped into a very nice tall guy who was looking for a bass to hire and we got talking mainly about E strings, as I remember. When he had left the shop the assistant said 'that was Ray Brown'. Duh.

Thing was, in those days every schoolboy (sixth former anyway) would have known who Ray Brown was.

Edited by bassace