Why become a member? ×

Malcolm Young leaves AC/DC

Bassman Steve

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1411658894' post='2561659']
I always thought it was Malcolm who basically managed the band certainly within the band he had the main input.
[/quote]

Indeed. Not only this but - the band being something of a 'Trigger's Broom' - it leaves Angus as the sole member to have enjoyed uninterrupted employment status.

Such audible differences as should transpire may be difficult to detect; but circumstances may have given Mr Brian Johnson another shot at lyric writing, his word-smithery having been deemed surplus to requirements during the execution of the Black Ice album.

It is rumoured that there may soon be a taster-play of a single from the new opus. Ears will be cocked for deviations from norm in the R.Gtr department.

Sad news indeed. When you get this sort of news, it alwayus makes me wonder who are irreplacable, and who isn`t, when the band will draw the line and split. In AC/DC`s case, i would imagine it would be hard to replace Angus Young, or Brian Johnson. I know Brian was a replacement, but at thier age it must be a lot difficult.

It is rather sad. Malcolm is one of the finest rhythm guitar players around and was also the leader of AC.DC from the very start. And to be honest, a lot of the fans that follow the band now won`t notice the difference as the star of the show has always been Angus backed up by Bon, then Brian. And that was the way that Malcolm decreed the band would be from the start and if you didn`t like it, you got the old elbow.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1411745882' post='2562512']
Oh that`s really bad. Having seen many suffer with this, including close relatives, my sympathies are with not just Malcolm, but his family and the band. It`s a rotten didease/condition that doens`t just affect the actual sufferer.
[/quote]

So right Lozz.

Yeah gotta echo what everyone else has said really - I'd heard all the rumours of his illness etc, but then when his family confirmed what was going on, my heart sank all over again.

He was an incredible player, and has left behind a brilliant body of work of generations to enjoy. Lucky enough to have seen them live twice (Stiff Upper Lip tour 2000 and Download 2010) and they were brilliant. Was listening to Black Ice album last night very loud while the wife and son were out, and Malcolm's playing is immense.

I heard something a while back saying: "Everyone eventually dies, but not everyone really lives." Well Malcolm, you've certainly really lived and given us so much music to enjoy.
Hope the future is as kind as it can be for you.