Why become a member? ×

Picking Victor Wooten up tonight!

mike257

That's all really - just it's largely inconsequential to anyone in my house, the missus said "who?", so I thought I'd share it with a bunch of other bass geeks instead. Grabbing him from the airport later before tomorrow's Liverpool show, then spending Wednesday doing ground transport to/around Leeds for him and the band too.

By all accounts he's a lovely chap so I'm quite looking forward to it, although I'm not all that familiar with his work it'll be nice to pick the brains of such a highly esteemed player! Any BCers got any burning questions they want me to ask him?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1405334721' post='2500827']
oo, awesome!

just have fun being 'normal' with a legend matey ;)
[/quote]

If I were you, I'd be too busy asking questions of my own :)

Like andydye says - just enjoy being in his company.....

Treat him normally.... he must get tired of same old...
Keep it easy, maybe tell him you play bass, but don't ram it down his throat,
let him build the conversation.

I wouldn't ask him 101 questions about bass..he probably wants to know where the best food in town is...

People forget that 'our dream job' is also work if you have been doing it as long as he has...

Ask him if I can have a ticket for Leeds as I didnt know he was playing until it was sold out :(

gutted !!!

Ya see if I got to meet him I'd just mention i play bass but ask him about him & what he also does to relax.....I wonder how often people ask musicians what makes them tick other than music

Yeah he's a lovely guy, I spent a week with him (and many other awesome tutors) at the Music/Nature camp this year.
As above, he's always very accommodating with anyone talking bass, but he's also into life and healthier ways to live it......hence the 'Nature' part of the camp.

Have fun, I'll be catching up with him in London :)

Si

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1405335614' post='2500839']
Treat him normally.... he must get tired of same old...
Keep it easy, maybe tell him you play bass, but don't ram it down his throat,
let him build the conversation.

I wouldn't ask him 101 questions about bass..he probably wants to know where the best food in town is...

People forget that 'our dream job' is also work if you have been doing it as long as he has...
[/quote]

I know - I work with plenty of bands/artists week to week so I'm hardly going to turn into a gushing fanboy. Just nice to have the opportunity to work with someone so highly regarded in the bass world.

Si - great to hear, those camps do sound great. I'm not booked for the London show as I think they're flying down for that one. Anything changes and I'll drop you a line and come say hello!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1405339865' post='2500913']

Si - great to hear, those camps do sound great. I'm not booked for the London show as I think they're flying down for that one. Anything changes and I'll drop you a line and come say hello!
[/quote]
Yes definitely :)

Si

Here you go..."Thunder" by Messrs Clarke, Miller and Wooten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOyQtoz3lI4&index=1&list=PLBA6D3616B746B18B

Pop into your local WHSmiths and get a copy of "The Music Lesson" by Vic and get it signed - great read...

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1405346298' post='2501028']
I bet this chap wished he was picking Victor Wooten up from the airport rather than a Thrash Metal band
[/quote]

Hahaha! I have this guy on facebook and the amount of times he's been tagged in this photo is driving him mental :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz