Why become a member? ×

Timewasters

Thunderbird

[size=4]I have noticed just lately there has seemed to of been a lot of time wasters about in the market place I have seen quite a few threads that go along the lines of[/size]

"I will take that mate PM sent"

Then 2 or 3 days later on the thread the seller will say

" Hi Mate have sent you lots of PM's and you have not answered and you have been online X amount of times since"

I have had a bit of this and it really gets on my wick its not the fact that they don't want the item any more even though it would of been nice to sell it is the fact the they are so bloody ignorant and just ignore you I would not be bothered if they just sent me a little message saying "sorry I cant buy this from you I dont have the money" or whatever at least then you can plod on and sell it.

Now I know this kind of thing happens all the time on sites like ebay of gumtree etc etc but FFs we are supposed to be a community here and look out for each other that is what makes this place so great.

Anyway moan over lol :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much mate. Feeling like you've let someone down is embarrassing, and even though it's better to just let somebody know not everyone thinks that way. Trust me, I work in sales and people really hate to say no!! :)

Can relate to your frustration Paul, I've experienced the same and it can be very, very annoying.

Tend not to worry so much now, having accepted that there are a fair number of ignorant twats about and that as membership numbers increase, then so do the chances of encountering more of said twats.

On a plus note, there are still plenty of BC'ers who are a pleasure to deal with, the feedback forum being all the proof you need. Go have a look and have your faith re affirmed :)

I agree with all the sentiments above. It`s annoying if a sale falls through, but if the proposed buyer is up front about things that`s all you can ask. Circumstances change, bills/emergencies etc, but all people need to do is be honest. It`s not a nice thing to have to do, I`ve had to a couple of times and felt so bad for doing it. I agree that no private contact but public BS is not the right way to do things.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1404766655' post='2495593']
I don't bother buying or selling on BC anymore. Too many 'this is just a feeler...........' for me.

Despite it's shortcomings i'll stick to eBay thanks.
[/quote]
:) :lol:
Oh wait, you're serious :unsure:

Had this a few months ago when trying to trade a thumb bass. Guy messaged me offering me a trade for a bass (not saying which as that'd be practically naming and shaming), I agreed. He then said he'd message me in a week as he was busy. Two weeks went by so I messaged him and got the reply which was along the lines of 'Changed my mind.'

Guess if you are selling it's just one of the hoops you have to go through.
I've also had more than one that has messed me about but what can you do, you can't force folk.
Mind, the last great act of defiance is always muttered obscenities :lol:

Yeah I've never had a problem buying and selling on here. I had one item poorly (terribly, actually) packed and arrived damaged (or it was already damaged and the seller didn't mention it), and I had one item arrive that had some very strange idiosyncrasies that I was surprised the seller hadn't mentioned, but I've bought and sold loads of stuff on here over the years and the number of users who've been complete gents far outweighs those two slightly substandard traders.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1404764458' post='2495558']
I have noticed just lately there has seemed to of been a lot of time wasters about in the market place I have seen quite a few threads that go along the lines of

"I will take that mate PM sent"

Then 2 or 3 days later on the thread the seller will say

" Hi Mate have sent you lots of PM's and you have not answered and you have been online X amount of times since"

I have had a bit of this and it really gets on my wick its not the fact that they don't want the item any more even though it would of been nice to sell it is the fact the they are so bloody ignorant and just ignore you I would not be bothered if they just sent me a little message saying "sorry I cant buy this from you I dont have the money" or whatever at least then you can plod on and sell it.

Now I know this kind of thing happens all the time on sites like ebay of gumtree etc etc but FFs we are supposed to be a community here and look out for each other that is what makes this place so great.

Anyway moan over lol :)
[/quote] I signed up here in september 2007.
Ever since I joined it's apparently been getting worse, there's been more time wasters no one has TIM and it was always better in the old days.
It was ALWAYS better in the old days, even if it wasn't and we just saw other time wasters and scams and idiots doing stupid things. Maybe it has got worse in the time since you joined - but I suspect, much like humanity, we've always had a selection of utter idiots and totally solid great people - and every gradient in between. Even drummers.

Having said there are timewasters here, some of the retailers should step forward and claim their own fame on the timewasters front.

The Bass Gallery. Still showing my old SEI P/J as for sale on their website, right now. It was sold last week, after I had emailed them about it. Gutted. Mind they did eventually respond (phone message left) 4 days after my initial email :rolleyes: .
Reidy's of Blackburn. Still had the Bongo up for sale on FEEBay last night. They sold it to a cash customer last week.

Timewasters all over sadly, but you just don't go back to them.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1404771418' post='2495643']
Had this a few months ago when trying to trade a thumb bass. Guy messaged me offering me a trade for a bass (not saying which as that'd be practically naming and shaming), I agreed. He then said he'd message me in a week as he was busy. Two weeks went by so I messaged him and got the reply which was along the lines of 'Changed my mind.'
[/quote]

Maybe we should name and shame so we can be aware of the serial time wasters :) , well it wouldn't completely stop them but it may make them think twice first. ( [size=4]This could be totally misused though and petty arguments break out all over the place hahahahah ) [/size][size=4]I always check the feedback section , you can see who is reliable but then that doesn't give the new guys much of a chance [/size]

Is the feedback section only for purchased or sold stuff? or can you put on there " so and so made me wait 10 days on a promise that he would buy this item, in that time not much contact from them and when they finally did reply they decided not to. Because of this i lost 3 sales as i had promised i would hold the item for them as they said they defiantly wanted it"
Ok, yes talking form experience :)

I will say overall my selling/buying experience on here has been great and i use the site a lot in that way, i do get fed up of the really silly offers though, i mean if i have a bass up for £2200, why would i sell it to you for £1200 , if that is what i wanted i would have stuck it up for that in the first place :)

All but one of my buying / selling experiences have been very straightforward , only once was I led down the garden path by a web of lies about an item being sent to me , this is possibly due to doing deals with the " old guard " of basschat who are well established and reliable folk .

On the other hand , if I make an enquiry about an item , this does not mean I have agreed to buy it.
Many of the listings are woefully lacking in details / pictures / location / delivery or collection , can these people also be included in the " time wasters " population .

My view on things is the sale is only complete when the money is in the bank , and the purchaser has the bass/ amp in his hands .

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1404805284' post='2495764']
On the other hand , if I make an enquiry about an item , this does not mean I have agreed to buy it.
Many of the listings are woefully lacking in details / pictures / location / delivery or collection , can these people also be included in the " time wasters " population .
[/quote]

I tend to just skip those items. If a seller can't be bothered to post some pictures and some basic info then I doubt they'll be bothered to post it to me quickly or to pack it safely either.

My worst example on BC was selling an early 70s Jazz last year to a German based BCer. I held the bass for a month (over Christmas) as he insisted he wanted to fly over and pick it up in person and tickets to London were cheaper in January.

As the relevant Saturday in January approached, he asked me for a list of places (bass shops, record shops) to visit which I did some research on and duly sent to him. I set aside the Saturday to meet him (which meant missing a family activity) and waited for confirmation of his landing at Heathrow. Several hours later, wondering whats going on, I text and say that I hope his flight was good and I look forward to meeting him. He eventually replies and says he missed the flight. I offer (again) to post in secure box etc and he says he will get back to me. A day or two later he says I may as well put bass up FS again as he isn't sure when he could get over to London.

No idea if his story regarding flights booked/missed was true or pure fantasy but I lost a great chunk of a precious Saturday hanging around, held the bass (which was worth close to £2k) for over a month for him, and got no apology.