Why become a member? ×

Which Fender-Style Bass Would You Order?

molan

The shop I work in is about to order 6 new basses and has been offered quite a few different colour choices and some design mix and match options. As there are quite a few variations I thought it might be fun to see what the BassChat vote would be as a first order :)

We can get something along the lines of a Precision with 1.75" nut or Jazz wih 1.5" nut. However it's also possible to put a chunkier P neck on a J or a slimmer J neck on a P.

All will come with rosewood boards and, initially, in 4 string RH format only. All will also come with matching headstocks because we just really like them:)

There's an additional option to add blocks and binding on any neck.

Colour choice (based on something similar to Fender descriptions) is:

Inca Silver
Sonic Blue
Firemist Gold
Feista Red
Lake Placid Blue
Black
2 Tone Sunburst
Ice Blue Metallic
Shoreline Gold
Lake Placid Blue
Candy Apple Red
Emerald Green

Everyone gets two choices - I'll start the ball rolling with:

P - 1.75" nut - dots- sonic blue
J - 1.50" nut - blocks & binding - candy apple red

It's obviously OK for people to choose the same as someone else and we really will use people's ideas to help shape the first order :)

So what would you go for. . .

Edited by molan

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1402392635' post='2472860']
OK - you have my attention. :)

One of these with a 70s P neck profile, around 8.5lbs, and I'll pick it up next week. Thank you.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYu_7364gE[/media]
[/quote]

This, and also a straight copy of a 66 dots and bound CAR or Firemist Gold Jazz with lollipop tuners.

Edited by walbassist

My two would be:

J - 1.75" nut, dot (or dot and bound if possible) Candy Apple Red (mint guard?)
P (with jazz pickup) - 1.75" nut, blocks and binding, Sonic Blue

If you can get any type of Jazz with a 1.75" nut and slightly relic'd finish, let me know I will probably buy it!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]P - 1.50" nut - no dots - Fiesta Red[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]J - 1.50" nut - no dots - Lake Placid Blue[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]:)[/font][/color]

another sonic Blue P for me, with a 1.75 neck, and seeing as we're allowed 2 choices i'll have a matching jazz with the 1.5 neck and blocks and binding!

are these budget or premium priced?

Matt

P - 1.5" - Blocks/Binding - Sonic Blue.
P - 1.5" - Blocks/Binding - Candy Apple Red

Would have preferred Olympic White as an option...

MUST HAVE tort guards.

The downside for me would be the matching headstocks. To me, they rarely look anything but cheap. I wanna see that wood!

I've been regretting selling my CAR Sadowsky RV4 and that feeling was compounded last night when I came across a picture of Jimmy Earl in Bass Player magazine. He was holding a 66 Jazz in CAR with a rosewood board, blocks & binding. I shall therefore have one of them.

The other one would be a 62 Jazz with a tort pickguard. If Oly White was added, I would choose it but otherwise, Sonic Blue please.

Thanks for all these everyone.

Interesting to see how many people have voted for tort or pearl white guards. These are available but carry a cost premium to simple white. How much would people pay to be able to choose something other than white? I know how much it cost so source decent quality tort and pearloid but not sure what the 'market' will stand.

In terms of body colours it looks like we can choose many of the the most common Fender standards. Oly White is next in line (it's surprisingly harder to get just right than a bright arctic white) but burgundy mist and sea foam green should be readily available.

Five strings, lefties and fretless variaties should be seen in Sept/Oct :)