Why become a member? ×

Why do people get so upset? its only the internet

Thunderbird

[size=4]So I am sitting here reading through some of the posts on here and there always seem to be somebody complaining about something or another when there is a debate going on throwing there toys out of the pram if some one else says something that they don't agree with it is not just on basschat that this happens it is on other sites too I must admit I sit here and laugh to myself at the thought of some one getting all steamed up banging away on there keyboards in anger or complaining to mods about people like little school children when there really is nothing to complain about. So why take it so seriously it is only the internet I can understand getting upset if somebody is personally attacking you but 9 times out of 10 people just have no sense of humour and take it all to seriously.[/size]

So do you guys think it is funny like I do or do you think it should be all regimented and serious would love to hear your views on this :)

I tend to post and leave it at that....
I might come back with another comment but I am not so bothered.
People think what they think for whatever reason. If they are wrong
then that is an issue for them.
Some threads in OT are more conversational but mostly I don't see it
as a goal to change someones mind. I might argue against their point, but
will only go so far with it.
Waste of time, otherwise..

Edit to add: facetious web-comic answers aside, even in a conventional face-to-face conversation, with all the nuances of tone and expression that accompany the spoken word, it's possible for one person around the table to misinterpret what has been said, or for the person speaking to not realise they've just put their foot in it. Sometimes it can lead to arguments and altercations, but most of the time, reasonable people will realise that it's down to a misunderstanding, and things are cleared up quickly.

Transpose this into a purely written format, and you lose a lot of the subtleties of expression. It's much easier to get the wrong end of the stick, or be slightly affronted by a throwaway comment, when you can't tell whether the last poster was joking. There will also be regional differences in mannerisms and humour - head over to Talkbass, make a cheeky sarcastic joke in reply to a post and watch it fly straight over most of their heads, for example!

It's good that the Mods discourage politics, religion, etc on here - I've been on forums with no such restrictions, and I've seen some people get really quite nasty over some fairly petty things! Edited by EliasMooseblaster

I gave up o/t for this very reason. A lot of people are so vexed over there. Invariably you end up getting vexed yourself and posting crap you don't even believe. Then the moderators (who do a great job) get involved and before you know it you're in a situation that ain't worth the grief. I don't understand it either but it happens.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1402307836' post='2471827']
So I am sitting here reading through some of the posts on here and there always seem to be somebody complaining about something or another when there is a debate going on throwing there toys out of the pram if some one else says something that they don't agree with it is not just on basschat that this happens it is on other sites too I must admit I sit here and laugh to myself at the thought of some one getting all steamed up banging away on there keyboards in anger or complaining to mods about people like little school children when there really is nothing to complain about. So why take it so seriously it is only the internet I can understand getting upset if somebody is personally attacking you but 9 times out of 10 people just have no sense of humour and take it all to seriously.

[/quote]

I am absolutely appalled at this, and I feel you should take this back immediately. It is utterly astonishing that, in this day and age, it is possible for someone to write a sentence like that, and without apparently feeling any need for punctuation. Will no one think of the children? Even the Nazis could write better than that.

;)

Interesting perspective from the OP. I wouldn't characterise BC as being full of people getting angry or being offensive. Sure there are lots of conflicting views in OT - as we should expect - but the discussions rarely end up being locked compared to some other sites I've given up on and in general BCers seem to be able to agree to disagree reasonably amicably.

Anyway, what's the point of a discussion where everyone has the same view? What would anyone learn from that?

This site is a kindergarten compared to some forums (fora?). Whatever they might be like in 'real life' people are never quite the same once tapping away at the keyboard. Some get wound up easily and some don't but that can actually be a reflection of real life too. There's one guy who posts on a football related forum i use regularly that is notorious for flying off the handle and has been temporarily banned at least once. Of course some people just go out of their way to wind him up now...

[size=4]So I am sitting here reading through some of the posts on here and there always seem to be somebody complaining about something or another when there is a debate going on throwing there toys out of the pram if some one else says something that they don't agree with it is not just on basschat that this happens it is on other sites too I must admit I sit here and laugh to myself at the thought of some one getting all steamed up banging away on there keyboards in anger or complaining to mods about people like little school children when there really is nothing to complain about. So why take it so seriously it is only the internet I can understand getting upset if somebody is personally attacking you but 9 times out of 10 people just have no sense of humour and take it all to seriously.[/size]
[/quote]

Is this Rap ? :o

Edited by lowdown

[size=4][/size]

So do you guys think it is funny like I do or do you think it should be all regimented and serious would love to hear your views on this :)
[/quote]

Internet forums and text communication in thread posts and emails are vastly different to face to face and even telephone communication. IMHO. Facial expression and even tone of voice can add words and meaning to language and communication that text alone can't do. I spend a lot of my working day communicating by email and it was a steep learning curve because some people didnt understand that "ok" as a reply from me to a request to do something actually meant " yes no problem I will do it quick as I can". Some think I'm being short or disrespectful and that I should have said "yes, no problem, with cherries and fresh cream on top".
This is a simple example but when you have people who are just toooooo serious with themselves or are just simply constantly looking for something to be offended by, the laws instituted by govt encourages them to complain.

The stupid country I live in for example I am discouraged from even having photos of my kids on my desk in work for example in case I offend someone who can't have kids. Roars my head but that's life. Mods on here do a good job, sadly it's needed.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402313620' post='2471918']
Anyway, what's the point of a discussion where everyone has the same view? What would anyone learn from that?
[/quote]
I keep well away from OT threads on BC now and probably the only thing i've learnt is that i'll never ask a bass player about anything other than their bass guitar and equipment. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1402313533' post='2471915']
I am absolutely appalled at this, and I feel you should take this back immediately. It is utterly astonishing that, in this day and age, it is possible for someone to write a sentence like that, and without apparently feeling any need for punctuation. Will no one think of the children? Even the Nazis could write better than that.

;)
[/quote]
Icantseeanythingwrongwithhiswritinginfactitlooksprettydamngoodtomesowhydontyoujustlayoffhim

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1402315246' post='2471965']
Well, you don't ask another Bass player about their Bass and equipment,
you tell them where they are going wrong with their Bass and equipment.
[/quote]

Youve discovered my formula, damn.

[/quote]

That we're not all that different from each other despite what we'd like to believe?

Opinions are great. It's how they're expressed that sometimes sucks :)

This has been true since the dawn of human existence. So I wouldn't be too surprised or alarmed at it applying to this little community, as it does to all others.

Edited by Skol303

[/quote]

A large percentage of people on Internet forums don't go on them to learn anything as they are already convinced they know everything there is to know about everything.
Their sole reason for frequenting forums is to reinforce their belief that they are right/superior & everybody else is wrong/inferior.

As you don't get to see someone's face & hear their voice on the internet, things often come across differently to how they would be said. Even just a slight change in tone or facial expression can have a huge influence on someone's response.

Anyway, you're all wrong. That's All of you!
I'm right, I win. Goodnight! :modspank:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1402314904' post='2471952']
I keep well away from OT threads on BC now and probably the only thing i've learnt is that i'll never ask a bass player about anything other than their bass guitar and equipment. :)
[/quote]

Except that the good thing about OT discussions on BC is that the main common factor here is an interest in bass, which means there is a wide variety of views about other subjects, which makes most of the OT discussions more interesting. IMO, obviously.