Why become a member? ×

Why do people get so upset? its only the internet

Thunderbird

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1402871111' post='2477507']
Beautifully spoken, I think.
In this, there's not only the violence referencing frame-of-mind, but also the aspect of the adversary almost not being able to prove otherwise, and left unable to defend oneself against the accusation.
Therefore, the "bet you wouldn't..." construction in its essence is the tool of the coward. It's not necessarily the other way round.
IMHO of course.
[/quote]

Blimmy, you have trimmed that back a bit with that edit (since last nights original post). :D

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1402908929' post='2477662']

I feel that many active ones on here are not anonymous, and especially not completely anonymous. They have exchanged goods and postal addresses, have feedbacks with names, are members of bands they link to, have met each other at bass bashes ...

[/quote]
Exactly. I'm constantly trading and liaising with members outside of BC. Don't forget that the internet is wide open and if people are guarded about their info or ID it's inly to protect themselves from the unsavoury select that dwell amidst.

Anonymity doesn't do it for me hence the avatar of my good self and open profile with personal information. If there weren't "keyboard warriors" people wouldn't have to comment in a way other people find aggressive to counter. On all other points.......I'll just shut up!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1402910984' post='2477689']
Blimmy, you have trimmed that back a bit with that edit (since last nights original post). :D
[/quote]

:D
Yes, I have. It's not that I do not agree with myself, but that I found it might open a new, different can of worms - which was not my intention.
Also, I've said it before, and will probably say it again later in more fitting threads.

To the curious: don't let your curiosity fool you into thinking it was a lot more juicy than it was in reality.

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]To the curious: don't let your curiosity fool you into thinking it was a lot more juicy than it was in reality. [/font][/color][/i]

Methinks he doth protest too much ...

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1402925380' post='2477915']
I'm not sure where Denrob is...
[/quote]

It's in Australia.
[url="http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/denrob-automotive-service/noosaville"]http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/denrob-automotive-service/noosaville[/url]

For the record - as apparently one of the most complained-about members still active on BC - I pretty much never set out to offend anyone, and I have sometimes deleted stuff I've posted when drunk and I've also apologised to mods in PM where I've felt I treated my audience in an over-familiar way.

Sometimes I assume people will understand that I am being ironic (unless you are a long way down the autistic spectrum in which case I am genuinely sorry if I offended you) and go ahead and post something that is clearly an irony-based joke, but either nobody ever appreciates my real sentiment or I've just got one people who just enjoy reporting my posts.

But yeah, my main issue is I assume I'm talking to reasonable-minded friends, when in fact many of you may be Tories or demented in some other way, and I accept that it's wrong to assume that you're all perfectly reasonable people who are capable of empathy.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1402963662' post='2478437']
For the record - as apparently one of the most complained-about members still active on BC - I pretty much never set out to offend anyone, and I have sometimes deleted stuff I've posted when drunk and I've also apologised to mods in PM where I've felt I treated my audience in an over-familiar way.

Sometimes I assume people will understand that I am being ironic (unless you are a long way down the autistic spectrum in which case I am genuinely sorry if I offended you) and go ahead and post something that is clearly an irony-based joke, but either nobody ever appreciates my real sentiment or I've just got one f***ing guy who will use every possible excuse to report my posts. And he does provide a lot of advertising revenue so fair play to him.

But yeah, my main issue is I assume I'm talking to reasonable-minded friends, when in fact many of you may be Tories or demented in some other way, and I accept that it's wrong to assume that you're all perfectly reasonable people who are capable of empathy.
[/quote]
Poor you, I'm sure everybody else is really sorry. :D

Sometimes I assume people will understand that I am being ironic (unless you are a long way down the autistic spectrum in which case I am genuinely sorry if I offended you) and go ahead and post something that is clearly an irony-based joke, but either nobody ever appreciates my real sentiment or I've just got one f***ing guy who will use every possible excuse to report my posts. And he does provide a lot of advertising revenue so fair play to him.

[/quote]

I had a real-life experience not unlike this recently on a gaming forum. Had some guy openly (and regularly) accusing me of being 'unkind' (his word), and on one occasion openly berated me for f***ing up his day. In fact I was just doing what I normally do so his constant accusations had me very confused. The site has a reputation system as well and he was forever giving me neg reps for reasons I simply could not fathom. :unsure:

Thankfully we had a PM exchange to clear the air a bit and since then we seem to be getting on better. Having said that I still word my responses extremely carefully when commenting on anything he posts.

In fact, being a gaming forum I do see quite a lot of stuff that strikes me as having been posted by people completely lacking any comprehension of the concept of humour. Weird! :huh: My amusing little observations and asides have a tendency to go down like the proverbial lead welly (and everybody seems to like thrash metal for some reason - except the guy with a penchant for Schubert's song cycles... which surfaced in a thread about whimsy in music...). Then again, it[b] is [/b]populated by gaming geeks (many of whom are also IT professionals) so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised. :scratch_one-s_head:

. . . . but either nobody ever appreciates my real sentiment or I've just got one f***ing guy who will use every possible excuse to report my posts. And he does provide a lot of advertising revenue so fair play to him.
[/quote]

So if someone provides a lot of advertising revenue it's 'fair play' for them to influence discussions by reporting things they don't like to the mods for action?

Sounds a lot like all the things we tend to dislike about people buying influence. Hmm.