Why become a member? ×

Why do people get so upset? its only the internet

Thunderbird

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1402963662' post='2478437']
For the record - as apparently one of the most complained-about members still active on BC - I pretty much never set out to offend anyone, and I have sometimes deleted stuff I've posted when drunk and I've also apologised to mods in PM where I've felt I treated my audience in an over-familiar way.

Sometimes I assume people will understand that I am being ironic (unless you are a long way down the autistic spectrum in which case I am genuinely sorry if I offended you) and go ahead and post something that is clearly an irony-based joke, but either nobody ever appreciates my real sentiment or I've just got one f***ing guy who will use every possible excuse to report my posts. And he does provide a lot of advertising revenue so fair play to him.

But yeah, my main issue is I assume I'm talking to reasonable-minded friends, when in fact many of you may be Tories or demented in some other way, and I accept that it's wrong to assume that you're all perfectly reasonable people who are capable of empathy.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: I doubt we agree on too much but I like that you tell 'like it is' and if that makes you more a maverick I think I'd rather have that than
a sycophant.. I think there is something to be said for not having a forum too cosy where you daren't or can't say anything that might upset a group or a sphere of influence...
If it really needs saying...we need people to say it.. IMO. of course, they are sensitivities but hopefully, we aren't kids and the mods are generally good....
We are either a diverse community with all that entails for good and not so bad...to a degree... or we are a cheerleading group.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402993196' post='2478537']
Well said. Robust debate while respecting other's rights to differing opinions (. . . even when they're wrong ;) )
[/quote]

God yes, and are they [i]ever [/i]wrong. Not me of course, I'm bang-on every time... :D[size=4] [/size] :P[size=4] [/size][size=4] ;)[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402994290' post='2478544']
God yes, and are they [i]ever [/i]wrong. Not me of course, I'm bang-on every time... :D :P[size=4] ;)[/size]
[/quote]

Religious post reported, but also [url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Maddogcole/media/rep_up.png.html"][/url] to be balanced and fair. :P

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1402994963' post='2478560']
balanced and fair. :P
[/quote]

:lol:
Reminds me of Fox News:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/FoxNews_zps05bb4b5c.png.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/FoxNews_zps05bb4b5c.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1402992489' post='2478527']
:lol: :lol: I doubt we agree on too much but I like that you tell 'like it is' and if that makes you more a maverick I think I'd rather have that than
a sycophant.. I think there is something to be said for not having a forum too cosy where you daren't or can't say anything that might upset a group or a sphere of influence...
If it really needs saying...we need people to say it.. IMO. of course, they are sensitivities but hopefully, we aren't kids and the mods are generally good....
We are either a diverse community with all that entails for good and not so bad...to a degree... or we are a cheerleading group.
[/quote]

Well spoken, JTUK. You already know I fully agree with everything you ever say. I have all your records, and none of the bootlegs, and I love you with roe deer eyes.
:D

Seriously though, well spoken indeed.

Thisnameistaken, I publicly apologise for having reported you so many times. I honestly tried to hit the quote button! Honest! But they are so illogically placed! :P :ph34r: ;)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1402999281' post='2478624']
This might be my last post here so I should add that I love you all like my own children, although I don't have any children, and I will miss every one of you, or at least some.
[/quote]

Really? :o [size=4]For the record I find your posts interesting and entertaining and have never been offended by them in the slightest, not once. Not even close, in fact. I know some people take great pleasure in being offended by practically anything at all, but... :blink:[/size]

Edited by discreet

To be honest... anyone who is offended by something someone says on the internet needs to take a good look at why they are letting the thoughts of a random stranger affect their lives anyway...

in short... who cares?

I think there are alot of very insecure people out there who are so unsure of their own opinions they need other people to verify them all the time.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1403000091' post='2478640']
Not a scouser are you? :blink:
[/quote]

Demm! You guys are too quick for me. :)
No, not a scouser, but I've been in Runcorn a few times. Does that count?

Of course I just hit the wrong key, and really meant "fallow deer". ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403000302' post='2478643']
To be honest... anyone who is offended by something someone says on the internet needs to take a good look at why they are letting the thoughts of a random stranger affect their lives anyway...[/quote]

I find that extremely offensive. How could you?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403000302' post='2478643']
I think there are a lot of very insecure people out there who are so unsure of their own opinions they need other people to verify them all the time.
[/quote]

That's so true. Couldn't agree with you more. I was about to say that. Where's that 'Like' button??

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1402999281' post='2478624']
I have once again edited myself but I've already been quoted a few times. Whoops.

This might be my last post here so I should add that I love you all like my own children, although I don't have any children, and I will miss every one of you, or at least some.
[/quote]

If you're going can I have your username?

My esteemed colleague above demonstrates the issue with a like button....

What if you only like half of a post?

On the rare occasions that I make a valid contribution to a thread I'm likely to upset people in the very same post by saying something like Rickenbackers are rubbish....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403000370' post='2478644']
Anyway when did this thread stop being about ringpulls?
[/quote]

I didn't realise we were done with pre-ring pull tin openers :o

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O24yHMlfXnc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=O24yHMlfXnc[/url]
"Nothing similar available" my bottom!!

edit: Oi! What happened to YT videos linking properly - where's me link button? :angry:

Edited by Big_Stu

I was going to leave this thread but now it has gotten interesting. It seems that people are quick to take a comment which conflicts with their own opinion negatively and as soon as a follow up sarcastic/ironic comment is returned they start throwing toys. Maybe these people should steer clear of forums and ask the opinions of people who know how they react in a safe and friendly non internet based environment. That's just my opinion. Please don't take it personally.

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1403001634' post='2478666']
Maybe these people should steer clear of forums and ask the opinions of people who know how they react in a safe and friendly non internet based environment. That's just my opinion. Please don't take it personally.
[/quote]

What, you mean have a normal real-time conversation with someone in meatspace?? Are you mad??!!

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1403001634' post='2478666']
Maybe these people should steer clear of forums and ask the opinions of people who know how they react in a safe and friendly non internet based environment. That's just my opinion. Please don't take it personally.
[/quote]

On the contrary, these people should be more tolerated, accepted and included in these fora.

I myself asked a simple question the other day and was told to search the f*****g forum as it has already been discussed. No mods were contacted about this scathing attack and no tears were shed upon my Nokia lumia. I just took it as someone having a bad day/attitude/life and skipped merrily along my way.

I like the plural of forum, very good. Sounds a bit like a flower.