Why become a member? ×

Why do people get so upset? its only the internet

Thunderbird

In the age of the detachable ring-pull cans - get the above opener and gently hook the end up under the ring, so that the majority of the opener is hanging over the edge of the can. Give the overhanging end of the opener a hefty thwack. If you get it just right (maybe one time in five) the ring pull comes off with a mighty bang and flies across the room.

On the subject of getting upset over forum content, I tend to agree with Neephied. My mentality is that it's a community with real people and opinions, and I will treat it as I would any other form of communication. I try not to be rude, and if someone is rude or overly abrasive to me, i will get defensive/upset, just like I would in real life. Just like in real life, if someone expresses a different opinion in an informed and civilised manner, then there is no issue.

@ Betafunk - Why has this thread had much more interest than one about Jaco's new video? Well, from my perspective, although I own and occasionally enjoy Weather Report/Jaco music, I have limited interest in exploring bootlegs/previously unrealeased material.
However, I've found this thread interesting as it raises some issues around forum etiquette/psychology. It highlights the variety of what people are thinking when they post, and I've found it a useful avenue of getting to know others in this community that bit more. I know enough about Basschat that some members won't give a sh*t about that, but that knowledge in itself is useful for knowing who to engage with on certain topic, and how to go about it.

Edited by Roland Rock

Anyway, I bloody hate Jaco's style of bass playing.

I actually bought a double album Best Of because so many people raved at me about how wonderful he was and how clever he was.

I don't doubt they're right, but I've only ever played the album twice in ten years.

Ultimately, all that really matters is: Do you actually like this music?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1402472866' post='2473767']
The bent bit at the end was for extracting Boy Scouts from horses' hooves IIRC. Or something.
[/quote]

I thought it was for getting boy scouts out of old ladies' beds. Or something.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1402476210' post='2473822']
@ Betafunk - Why has this thread had much more interest than one about Jaco's new video? Well, from my perspective, although I own and occasionally enjoy Weather Report/Jaco music, I have limited interest in exploring bootlegs/previously unrealeased material.
However, I've found this thread interesting as it raises some issues around forum etiquette/psychology. It highlights the variety of what people are thinking when they post, and I've found it a useful avenue of getting to know others in this community that bit more. I know enough about Basschat that some members won't give a sh*t about that, but that knowledge in itself is useful for knowing who to engage with on certain topic, and how to go about it.
[/quote]

+ <high number>
This is what I could not express, expressed a lot better than I could've expressed it if I could've expressed it. :blink:

BTW, I do not understand the meaning of BetaFunk's last sentence, but hope it just means he's staying away from this topic, and not staying away from BC. This is the second time I have to say this in few hours, but to me it seems BetaFunk is an asset to BC, and I hope he stays.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1402476210' post='2473822']
[/quote]

I'm mainly here for the ringpull stuff if I'm honest....

And quite right too. Ringpull technology is awesome - I remember watching an OU programme all about it many years ago and it involved a lot of materials science theory concerning cold fracturing of the aluminium around the ringpull and all the associated quality control to ensure reliability and repeatability. Now, where did I leave my anorak . . . . ?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402499602' post='2474170']
And quite right too. Ringpull technology is awesome - I remember watching an OU programme all about it many years ago and it involved a lot of materials science theory concerning cold fracturing of the aluminium around the ringpull and all the associated quality control to ensure reliability and repeatability. Now, where did I leave my anorak . . . . ?
[/quote]

Its very important... a slight miscalculation and you run the risk of someone ending up with flat Tizer... :mellow:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1402512876' post='2474335']
Whatever happened to Topics anyway? A hazelnut in every bite..yum :-)
[/quote]

I don't think that this incident involving an 'extra crunchy' Topic did sales much good;
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mouse-found-in-topic-bar-1179399.html

You could say that many people have gone 'off Topic' ;-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1402820087' post='2476945']
You gotta love a keyboard warrior. Someone who has never met you giving it the big I am. Bet they would be a little less confident stood toe to toe.
[/quote]

I tried standing toe to toe but I fell over :blush: :P

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1402820087' post='2476945']
You gotta love a keyboard warrior. Someone who has never met you giving it the big I am. Bet they would be a little less confident stood toe to toe.
[/quote]
Agreed... But that is where 51% of the problem lies. People who think in the "bet you wouldn't be so brave if we were......" frame of mind contribute greatly to a lot of the tension in these situations. That mentality proposes or suggests violence as a solution and gets peoples backs up. The reality is that neither person is toe to toe and aren't likely to be, so it's a useless supposition. People inflate and expand everything on the internet, they lie about themselves and act tougher than they normally would because it's safe to do so. If you accept this as the norm then you should be ok but there is still the chance they will catch you on a bad day and kaboom......... they are in for a massive verbal hiding hashtag style. Then your buddy's come and you hashtag team his ass to literary death. :D lol.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402492568' post='2474087']
I'm mainly here for the ringpull stuff if I'm honest....[/quote]

Their aerodymaics were never the same after they started laminating the inside of the can with plastic. Took a lot of the twang out of the flap.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1402477489' post='2473852']
Anyway, I bloody hate Jaco's style of bass playing.[/quote]

Studies have proven that 95% of cassette tape seen fluttering on motorway verges in the 1980s have been Jaco in origin.
Hence the rarity of Jaco cassette tapes.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1402867117' post='2477469']
Agreed... But that is where 51% of the problem lies. People who think in the "bet you wouldn't be so brave if we were......" frame of mind contribute greatly to a lot of the tension in these situations. That mentality proposes or suggests violence as a solution and gets peoples backs up.
[/quote]

Beautifully spoken, I think.
In this, there's not only the violence referencing frame-of-mind, but also the aspect of the adversary almost not being able to prove otherwise, and left unable to defend himself/herself against the accusation.
Therefore, the "bet you wouldn't..." construction in its essence is also potentially the tool of the coward. It's not necessarily only the other way round.
IMHO of course.

Edited by BassTractor

You can analyse forum etiquette and psychology but just remember you have probably, just like the person you are engaging with deliberately chosen to adopt a pseudonym so that you remain completely anonymous. You just can't apply or expect normal social etiquette when both parties have deliberately chosen not to be identified.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1402907225' post='2477646']
You can analyse forum etiquette and psychology but just remember you have probably, just like the person you are engaging with deliberately chosen to adopt a pseudonym so that you remain completely anonymous. You just can't apply or expect normal social etiquette when both parties have deliberately chosen not to be identified.
[/quote]

I feel that many active ones on here are not anonymous, and especially not completely anonymous. They have exchanged goods and postal addresses, have feedbacks with names, are members of bands they link to, have met each other at bass bashes ...

I also feel it's perfectly viable to apply normal social etiquette oneself, but it would indeed be wise to not expect the same back on a forum where basically anyone can become a member. That notion however would not hold me back from mentioning that better behaviour might be nice to have.

BTW, if per chance you're speaking directly to me, I've been open as to who I am for two years, but have recently tried to reduce the amount of text that follows each post to its left and bottom. I assume I'm not anonymous.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1402907225' post='2477646']
[/quote]

Indeed... my username gives no clue whatsoever as to either my name or where I live.....