Why become a member? ×

Why do people get so upset? its only the internet

Thunderbird

The one thing that will have me out of a thread is when that finger-pointing, over-critical, insensitive, know-it-all prick comes in and starts telling people they're wrong for having such-and-such an opinion on whatever is being discussed. Every forum has such a prick, some have lots.

Shortly after you can expect the thread to either get angry, or just descend into a general argument. Waste. Of. Time.

Sorry gotta go, need to stock up on new hyphens.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1402408808' post='2473132']
Sorry gotta go, need to stock up on new hyphens.
[/quote]

Don't worry! You can have some of mine:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There you go, Sport! ...You're welcome.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1402307836' post='2471827']
[size=4]So I am sitting here reading through some of the posts on here and there always seem to be somebody complaining about something or another when there is a debate going on throwing there toys out of the pram if some one else says something that they don't agree with it is not just on basschat that this happens it is on other sites too I must admit I sit here and laugh to myself at the thought of some one getting all steamed up banging away on there keyboards in anger or complaining to mods about people like little school children when there really is nothing to complain about. So why take it so seriously it is only the internet I can understand getting upset if somebody is personally attacking you but 9 times out of 10 people just have no sense of humour and take it all to seriously Pepsi[/size][/quote]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1402408925' post='2473136']
Pepsi
[size=4][/quote][/size]
Shown your age there, Stu... :)

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]lipsmackingthirstquenching[/color][color=#000000]acetastingmotivating[/color][color=#000000]goodbuzzingcooltalking[/color][color=#000000]highwalkingfastliving[/color][color=#000000]evergivingcoolfizzing...[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]...and now so have I. :D[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1402400426' post='2473008']
James Joyce died of exhaustion I presume? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Not before writing another one just like it - only harder! :lol:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegans_Wake"]http://en.wikipedia..../Finnegans_Wake[/url]

I'll spare you the details. Open at your peril!

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402409255' post='2473143']
[/size]
Shown your age there, Stu... :)

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]lipsmackingthirstquenching[/color][color=#000000]acetastingmotivating[/color][color=#000000]goodbuzzingcooltalking[/color][color=#000000]highwalkingfastliving[/color][color=#000000]evergivingcoolfizzing...[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]...and now so have I. :D[/color][/font][/size][/quote]

I'm so old I can remember pre-ringpull cans! :hi:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1402409590' post='2473153']
I'm so old I can remember pre-ringpull cans! :hi:
[/quote]

Cans with no ringpull at all?

I remember the ones where the ringpull came off instead of staying attached like those modern newfangled posh ones...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402409868' post='2473158']Cans with no ringpull at all?[/quote]

Yup - you needed a particular type of opener than was pointed at the end with a tooth that caught under the rim. It made two triangular holes in the can top - one to drink from, the other to let air in.
[i](cont in the Four Yorkshiremen sketch)[/i]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402409868' post='2473158']I remember the ones where the ringpull came off instead of staying attached like those modern newfangled posh ones...[/quote]
Yeah, and you could pull them apart to ping the ring pull across the room with the flap bit. Kids these days eh? They haven't lived!

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1402410108' post='2473162']
Yup - you needed a particular type of opener than was pointed at the end with a tooth that caught under the rim. It made two triangular holes in the can top - one to drink from, the other to let air in.
[/quote]

Remember them well - one end was for opening bottles, the other end for making holes in drinks cans as you described.

No self-respecting male would be without one! :)

Edited by discreet

At this point I believe it would be de rigeur to jump in, disagree with everyone, state my far (right - left - delete as appropriate) opinion, (mis)quote a few previous posts, say everyone else is a moron so I'm off an never coming back. Until next week when the itch to log in gets too great to resist.

However poorly Off Topic gets, and at least 90% of it is complete drivel, my own posts included, there is 10% of gold in there. Either comedy, advice, realising all the crap you have others have too, helping each other and the rest of it. If only threads could have some simple options/colours it would help identify stuff, perhaps:

1. Useful serious advice to be heeded
2. Useless but of high comedic value so worth reading
3. Useless rant about the number of calories in a polo or other pointless waste of bytes (see what I did there?)
4. Useful financial / life / health stuff
5. Everything else (to be files under "useless")

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1402420811' post='2473342']
If only threads could have some simple options/colours it would help identify stuff...
[size=4][/quote][/size]
You can't identify threads in Off Topic by definition - otherwise they'd be Topics, wouldn't they?
Perhaps we could have 'On Topic' for people who like 'Off Topic', but prefer a structured environment. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402409868' post='2473158']

I remember the ones where the ringpull came off instead of staying attached like those modern newfangled posh ones...
[/quote]

You could link them together and make a fab and groovy chain belt.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402420575' post='2473337']
Remember them well - one end was for opening bottles, the other end for making holes in drinks cans as you described.

[/quote]

I just used to open my Party 7s with a screwdriver.

In that case we should have 5 off topic sub-sections, see previous post for the section titles. A kind of "Off-Topic-but-topical, and an off-topic-off-topic sort of setup! I've decided I don't like the work "topic", it sounds quite harsh. I prefer the sound of the word peach.

[/quote]

That's a 70's gig spanner, standard issue, it came free when you joined the MU.
It was also very useful for levering off underwear and socks after a three month tour.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1402410108' post='2473162']
Yeah, and you could pull them apart to ping the ring pull across the room with the flap bit. Kids these days eh? They haven't lived!
[/quote]

Oh I miss those, you could get them to fly for MILES!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402408896' post='2473134']
Don't worry! You can have some of mine:

There you go, Sport! ...You're welcome.
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks - I was gettin' worried there... Amazon are all out.

Edited by planer

[/quote]

AND they were healthier to use too!!! All those little corners and holes introduced a bit of penicillin into every can!
Made me the perfect specimen of health I am today!