Why become a member? ×

Turn It Down!

Hobbayne

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1402255761' post='2471434']
More importantly, a lot of people prefer the sound of a high wattage amp, even when running at the same [i]volume[/i] as a smaller wattage amp. A 100W amp running at 20-30% volume often sounds better than a 30W amp running at 70% volume (or whatever). Plus, if you want a genuinely clean sound at gig volumes then its often necessary to go big. And, as a final point, 100W isn't all that much louder than 30W anyway.
[/quote]

+1

I regularly use 750w and keep the volume down at '2' as I want the cleanest sound I can possibly get.

The better you are, the quieter you can play and still sound good. But saying that, there is a minimum volume you need to play at, to be able to play AC/DC tunes without them sounding sh*t.

Edited by gjones

Gig we played yesterday was in a pub/restaurant. The landlord asked us to play quietly because people were eating. No problem.

At the interval a chap came up to the band leader and said "You are the lead guitarist and the lead singer and the problem is you are being drowned out by the drummer and the bass". The drummer was playing with rods and I was barely touching the strings. Playing quiet has its issues too :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1402257792' post='2471465']
I regularly use 750w and keep the volume down at '2' as I want the cleanest sound I can possibly get.
[/quote]

Yes, but you're a bass player and therefore can be trusted not to turn up to eleven for your 'solo'. ;)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1402256880' post='2471452']
Buy a house near a music venue, complain consistently about the noise, get said venue closed down....sell house for increased amount as no longer near music venue!
[/quote]

Same sort of thing is happening near a music venue - which is on an industrial estate - in Milton Keynes. A religious sect/group/whatever have bought a place near it, and are now complaining about the noise.

Now I don`t know how many properties there are in MK without music venues next to them, but I would guess far more than those with music venues next to them. So why buy right next door and bitch about the noise. Why not just buy one of those properties without the venue next door.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1402258063' post='2471470']
At the interval a chap came up to the band leader and said "You are the lead guitarist and the lead singer and the problem is you are being drowned out by the drummer and the bass". The drummer was playing with rods and I was barely touching the strings. Playing quiet has its issues too :)
[/quote]

That sounds more like a mix problem than a volume problem.

Basically, village idiots buy houses next to pubs, these houses are cheaper than houses out in the quiet country.
Then they start acting like lord of the manor and demanding the pub keeps it quiet.
Then we have the council, who have had over 4000 acts passed to give them "power" as emptying bins and sweeping streets was defaming and they all really wanted some power and authority.
This combines with people that seek such positions of power usually have a hatred of British culture in general and want to stamp it out, particularly the local pub and people enjoying themselves drinking beer.
So they seek out and yes I say seek out, I have seen them door knocking around pubs with clipboards hoping one of the tw$ts in the first sentence gets involved and then they can jobsworth it at the pub.

What should happen in a common sense world is they should be told, you bought a house next to a pub and music venue you retard !

Just My opinion of course

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1402260317' post='2471505']
Maybe because people have a right to peace and quiet.... no matter where they choose to live ? ;)
[/quote]

But that`s the point, it`s not a residential place, it`s a church/mosque/whatever the name is for establishments of that faith, on an industrial estate. There must be plenty of non-residential units in MK that are not next to music venues. Why should those that were there first change to suit the people that have chosen a property next to a music venue?

I'm [i]really[/i] fussy about noise and playing loud. My current band are LOOOUUUDDDD - 2x100W valve amps and a drummer to match. All good players, and I (and the drummer and guitarist) rehearse with plugs, but it's ever so loud.

Hella fun too. :)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1402262573' post='2471544']
I'm [i]really[/i] fussy about noise and playing loud. My current band are LOOOUUUDDDD - 2x100W valve amps and a drummer to match. All good players, and I (and the drummer and guitarist) rehearse with plugs, but it's ever so loud.

Hella fun too. :)
[/quote]

How can it be loud if you're using earplugs? Isn't that a bit like using 1000W lightbulbs at home and then wearing sunglasses to reduce the glare? What's the point?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402258130' post='2471472']
Yes, but you're a bass player and therefore can be trusted not to turn up to eleven for your 'solo'. ;)
[/quote]

the solo at eleven is fine , ( even for a guitarist :P ) but when the guitarist insists on noodling and chunking at eleven aswell it gets a bit tit heavy , I concur with the 30 watt valuation limit on guitar valve amps as it happens :rolleyes:

Don't quote me on this, but I think there is only 3dB difference between a 50w and 100w valve head. I think 30w is plenty loud enough as well even if you want 'clean' Now I'm talking guitar here not bass. I'm surprised by the amount of guitarists that don't know to knock back the volume on their guitar to clean up their sound. I once played in a band with a guy that changed his amp loads of times in the past because he couldn't get a clean tone. I asked him to knock back on the guitar....no problem.
For many years I moaned at our band practices about the volume being too loud. We didn't play out much, but did like to 'act' like a real band..lol. Anyway, I had warned them that when we got gigs we would have to play at a lower level....guess what, the first gig we got we were told to turn down. I agree that the drummer and guitarist are the main noise makers. I got fed up in the end with the drummer shrugging and saying 'there's no volume knob on my drums' . No jokes please...as they are already old hahaha.

On the subject of ear plugs....

Even when genuinely playing at a low volume, the average band (guitar/bass/drums) will produce enough volume to damage your ears if you dont wear ear plugs.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402260564' post='2471510']
That sounds more like a mix problem than a volume problem.
[/quote]

Indeed, but short of drummer and I not playing it could only be resolved by Leader turning up. I don;t know how anyone thought it quiet though his vocal was deafening me :)

I had always assumed that drums are inherently loud but we've played with the same dep a few times (the best drummer I've ever played with in fact) and he could play quietly while still absolutely nailing any song. It was quite a revelation from the 'thrash-it-and-bash-it' style of many drummers.

Depends on the energy of the band though....
There is a minimum volume and if you have to go below that..I'd question the point of the gig
and why they have the type of music they have booked.

These are all questions you should pretty much have covered before you accept the gig, IMV.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402307311' post='2471820']
I had always assumed that drums are inherently loud but we've played with the same dep a few times (the best drummer I've ever played with in fact) and he could play quietly while still absolutely nailing any song. It was quite a revelation from the 'thrash-it-and-bash-it' style of many drummers.
[/quote]

+ a million. Playing drums quietly has to be the single most underrated skill on any musical instrument.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402307311' post='2471820']
[/quote]

+ another million. It's called 'Being a Good Drummer', and is (or should be...) very much part of the rudiments of drumming.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1402257958' post='2471467']
By the way, I thought Surbiton was a made up town, where Mr Bean and Frank Spencer lived. I didn't realise it actually existed in reality.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that: I grew up in Surbiton, and you'd be amazed how often I have to explain to people that it is a real town!

I've been experimenting with my lot lately, as we are considering IEMs for singer,guitarist and drummer.
So, we do have an E kit, which makes it all possible but he still likes to be pretty loud in his 15"400watt wedge.
What i have been doing is, before each rehearsal, over the last 3 weeks, just knocking master levels on wedges and FOH back a bit.
After 3 weeks i got a "It's a bit quiet tonight" type comments, but once we played one song, we instantly got used to it.
I did later knock it back up a little, for some vibe, you really can't play some stuff that quietly, but, basically, we have a clear as glass mix, can instantly hear if anything pops out of the mix, like a key part or guitar riff, and nobody needs earplugs.
This would still work with a real kit, because you probably are all playing louder than you need to, as it creeps up without anyone regulating it.
This is just best practice with noise anyway, but it really gets people disciplined when they know any obvious volume change will be noticed.
I'm sorry for all of you in bands with people who insist they have to play loud to make it work. They are wrong.
Btw, try standing in front of an AC30 and tell me it isn't very loud. I have to use a power soak on one client in large venues, just to be able to mix it properly.