Why become a member? ×

Turn It Down!

Hobbayne

Played a pub in Surbiton last night with my rock covers band to a great and enthusiastic crowd.
However, the governor of this pub was completely paranoid about the volume of the band! Even going outside to stand in the street at one point!
He kept coming over telling us to turn it down as his neighbours complained to the council about the noise several times in the past year or so.
After the third time he got nasty and threatened to stop the music and kick us out!
I watched as he was going around closing all the windows on a warm evening leaving the punters and us sweating!
So we carried on with our set, ACDC at a very soft level just doesnt have the same effect!
Towards the end we said sod it! If we dont get asked back it will be to soon, and cranked it back up again!
Funny thing is, at the end he offered us another gig in a few months as he liked us! :rolleyes:

Edited by Hobbayne

Whee, definitely two sides to this one. One band I was in had a drummer who played his kit so incredibly loudly that every time he hit the snare drum I thought I was going to vomit. Consequently I was using an 8X10 and 1KW amp - and that was just for rehearsals. Totally ridiculous! The volume issue was one of the reasons I left that band.

Most live bands are much too loud in my opinion (particularly rock bands - surprise), though it does depend a lot on the drummer, as above. A good drummer should be able to play at any volume level and bass players and guitarists should be able to get their sound without being stupid loud, too. I can't think of one single situation where a guitarist would need more than thirty valve watts. 100W guitar stacks are just unnecessary.

Hard to say what the landlord thought was 'too loud' without being there, but perceived volume is certainly very subjective! :)

Edited by discreet

Lots of gigs are under threat and noise is the main reason. We do at least 5 that have problems and we play at the level the gig requires.

Why did he have to ask 3 times? Why did you say sod it?

If you can only play at an excessive level then either you need to change how you play or don't accept gigs that are not appropriate for your band.

We all loose these gigs if guys like you say "sod it" and don't do what you're asked.

Edited by chris_b

We dont play that loud, thats why I couldnt understand it. Even the punters asked us to turn it up!
Theres another pub a few yards down the street who have really loud bands!
A drummer friend of mine when he found out we were playing there said to me "Good luck"
Now I know what he meant. <_<

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1402231312' post='2471153']
....We dont play that loud....
[/quote]

The penny should have dropped by now. . . . you do!!!

The landlord's running a business and these days his neighbours can call the shots when it comes to public nuisance. He might like your band and your music but I'd guess he doesn't want to spend £10K or more on sound proofing so his options are cancel the music or get the bands to turn down.

It sounds like he's had a yellow card, if the council gets involved he will have licence conditions imposed and a red card could mean no gig and no pub. Many of our gigs have strict curfews these days. Neighbours do not have to endure late night noise any more.

The drummer can't play quietly is a poor excuse. Of course the guy's "paranoid". It's his problem and it's caused by the musicians.

Anyway, which gig is this?

For me, bands can only play at the level of an un-miked drummer. If said drummer is a hard-hitter who refuses to alter their playing style, well some venues are going to be getting the hump. I switched bands a few years back, and went from volume 7 on my 500 watt bass stack to volume 3. I joined a band I knew, who played punk, and weren`t quiet. I now see why a good few venues never asked the first band back.

I think sometimes we don't realise the volume out front if your monitors are good and your PA is good. In the band before the one I'm in now I was at our local gig watching another band and commented to one of the regulars that the band was really loud, he just looked at me and said "you're as loud as this".

I was surprised and a little bit concerned.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402230489' post='2471140']
One band I was in had a drummer who played his kit so incredibly loudly that every time he hit the snare drum I thought I was going to vomit.
[/quote]
We had this guy as well. Sacked him.

I attended a gig recently in a well-known local pub venue. The place is not large and yet the band I was there to see thought they were in Wembley. I had to leave as my ears were sore quite apart from the fact that I couldn't "hear" the band. The sound coming from the stage was just a cacophony of noise. Bands have to realise that LOUD isn't always best.

I wonder if you all went home after your gig and had a good night's sleep with no loud band playing next door. There is a reason the landlord gets complaints. Is it really so bad to turn it down.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1402232555' post='2471172']
The penny should have dropped by now. . . . you do!!!

The landlord's running a business and these days his neighbours can call the shots when it comes to public nuisance. He might like your band and your music but I'd guess he doesn't want to spend £10K or more on sound proofing so his options are cancel the music or get the bands to turn down.

It sounds like he's had a yellow card, if the council gets involved he will have licence conditions imposed and a red card could mean no gig and no pub. Many of our gigs have strict curfews these days. Neighbours do not have to endure late night noise any more.

The drummer can't play quietly is a poor excuse. Of course the guy's "paranoid". It's his problem and it's caused by the musicians.

[/quote]

This! All of it.

Sound limiters were coming in at pubs I used to play nearly 20 years ago. Haven't been to a live pub gig for a while but TBH I'm a bit curious as to why they're not yet universal.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1402230947' post='2471145']
Lots of gigs are under threat and noise is the main reason. We do at least 5 that have problems and we play at the level the gig requires.

Why did he have to ask 3 times? Why did you say sod it?

If you can only play at an excessive level then either you need to change how you play or don't accept gigs that are not appropriate for your band.

We all loose these gigs if guys like you say "sod it" and don't do what you're asked.
[/quote]like he said, playing AC/DC softly ...yuk

Not playing live much myself at the moment so getting the chance to see more live music and the noise level ranges from too loud to stupidly loud !!

Saw a band last year in a pub where the bassist had an ampeg 8 by 10 cab and the guitarist a full " Ritchie Blackmore" sized Marshall stack !! Literally nearly knocked me over when they hit the first bar of the first song.

It's starting to put me off going to live music venues rather than attracting me to them !!

Rant over, my apologies.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1402241490' post='2471247']
like he said, playing AC/DC softly ...yuk
[/quote]

I think "softly" is the operative word. For a band to be enjoyable to listen to and still rock... you dont need "Wembley Stadium volume" in a small local pub venue.

I sometimes think that volume is used as an alternative to playing well. I'd far rather listen to great musical talent at a sensible volume than a wall of sound. It's not an age thing, I've always felt the same way - it's probably why I never liked punk very much.

But each to their own though and there certainly ought to be venues out there for 'wall of sound' bands, it's just that I reckon not many of the suitable ones will be pubs.

We really don't play loud compared to some. Most of our early gigs were played using a 200W PA.

Didn't stop it demolishing what was left of my hearing, plugs or no...

Can the punters talk at the back without shouting? No? MUCH too loud.

Edited by Telebass

Whee, definitely two sides to this one. One band I was in had a drummer who played his kit so incredibly loudly that every time he hit the snare drum I thought I was going to vomit. Consequently I was using an 8X10 and 1KW amp - and that was just for rehearsals. Totally ridiculous! The volume issue was one of the reasons I left that band.

Most live bands are much too loud in my opinion (particularly rock bands - surprise), though it does depend a lot on the drummer, as above. A good drummer should be able to play at any volume level and bass players and guitarists should be able to get their sound without being stupid loud, too.[b] I can't think of one single situation where a guitarist would need more than thirty valve watts. 100W guitar stacks are just unnecessary.[/b]

Hard to say what the landlord thought was 'too loud' without being there, but perceived volume is certainly very subjective! :)
[/quote]

It didn't go down too well at practice when our guitarist, who has a 100w valve head, proudly said his amp was barely ticking over. I just said all those other watts, he had left to use, were a bit of a waste of time then, weren't they really :D

You have two choices... you either go through the same thing next time or you don't play the gig.
You can't expect the LL not to be aware that volume, percieved or not, is going to have an impact
on his business.
It is his venue to call as he sees fit and it is your decision whether to accept his terms.

The first thing you need to check out at any pub gig is where are the neighbours
and most pubs are unsuitable venues, but sometimes they are worse than useless
and bands shouldn't be so desperate to play them if they don't work for that band..

A good drummer should be able to play at any volume level and bass players and guitarists should be able to get their sound without being stupid loud, too. I can't think of one single situation where a guitarist would need more than thirty valve watts. 100W guitar stacks are just unnecessary.
[/quote]

Not this old chestnut again.

There's no such thing as inappropriate wattage---only inappropriate volume---and most modern 100W amps have a master volume anyway.

More importantly, a lot of people prefer the sound of a high wattage amp, even when running at the same [i]volume[/i] as a smaller wattage amp. A 100W amp running at 20-30% volume often sounds better than a 30W amp running at 70% volume (or whatever). Plus, if you want a genuinely clean sound at gig volumes then its often necessary to go big. And, as a final point, 100W isn't all that much louder than 30W anyway.

In short: ignore what the W rating of the amp is. The W is irrelevant. Its the actual volume which is the issue.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1402255761' post='2471434']
More importantly, a lot of people prefer the sound of a high wattage amp, even when running at the same [i]volume[/i] as a smaller wattage amp. A 100W amp running at 20-30% volume often sounds better than a 30W amp running at 70% volume (or whatever). Plus, if you want a genuinely clean sound at gig volumes then its often necessary to go big. And, as a final point, 100W isn't all that much louder than 30W anyway.
[/quote]

I beg to differ - a 100W valve guitar amp is a lot 'louder' than a 30W valve guitar amp. Generally because the 100W amp will be on top of a 4X12 and the 30W amp will be a 1X12" combo. And in four decades I've yet to meet a guitarist with a 100W amp who is prepared to run it at 30% volume!!

Edited by discreet

We had a similar experience last night, we played a 25th wedding anniversary party at a local golf course restaurant, we deliberately used the small PA amp to keep the volume down, we definitely weren't too loud, still had the local residents complaining by 9.30 so we had to shut all the windows....it meant an early finish for us.

I asked the owner afterwards if they had other bands on and he said the agreement for licensing was they could have a live band 4 times a year but irrespective of that they would receive a raft of complaints every time they put a band on.

I guess some venues just shouldn't put live music on but then on the other hand maybe residents should be a little more understanding when a venue is doing its best to keep things under control.

Buy a house near a music venue, complain consistently about the noise, get said venue closed down....sell house for increased amount as no longer near music venue!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1402256880' post='2471452']
Buy a house near a music venue, complain consistently about the noise, get said venue closed down ...sell house for increased amount as no longer near music venue!
[/quote]

Like when people complain about the noise of planes after they've bought a house right next to Heathrow Airport.
Don't think they're going to get that closed down in a hurry, though...