Why become a member? ×

So I said to my friend, 'yeah I'm gonna go down to 3 bass es for good'

I've gone from eight to two basses (4 string fretted and electro acoustic) over the last 3 years and those two are now gigged reguarly - no basses lying in cases anymore for me. I'm also learning to live with GAS and not habitually cave in either though that has been tougher than giving up cigs sometimes.

I must be getting better because I swapped a guitar for a bass instead of finding ways to buy the bass and still keep the guitar. I have too many guitars anyway......well I'm trying to convince myself of that. TBH guitars are not the problem as storage is pretty easy. Amps/Cabs on the other hand....
2 off 4x12
2 heads
4 combos
nightmare for storage.

I'm down to 4.
Today.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring :rolleyes:
That last step, down to three (two for gigs, one spare in case one is in dock) is proving very difficult.

Gotta say, Hiram's GDS may well be one of the reasons it is much harder to sell on here (in general) now.

At the moment, I have 1 Precision and 1 Jazz (I don't gig the jazz for sentimental reasons). Got a P on order with Mark and that's my lot. Even looking at maybe shifting one my of my cabs and going with just 1 x 12" cab and head.

Time for a clear out me thinks!!

Currently on 4, which is the most I've ever had (not counting when I also had a fretless but was selling it). The one that offers the least over the others is the Mustang, so if I really had to lose one, that would be it. No fear of that at the moment though.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1402121988' post='2470198']
But you need at least a P with rounds, a P with flats, a Jazz, a Ray, a 5-string, and a fretless. So that's a minimum of 6 basses right there!
[/quote]

That's about me right there .

But you need at least a P with rounds, a P with flats, a Jazz, a Ray, a 5-string, and a fretless. So that's a minimum of 6 basses right there!
[/quote]

nonsense

you just need one[size=7][font=georgia,serif][b] J [/b][/font][/size] :D :P

[/quote]
Add a semi-acoustic and a short scale and we're about there.

I have 12 and can't bring myself to start downsizing though I know that I should...I think I can justify keeping hold of them by telling myself it's a buyers market and everybody else is selling so I can't expect a decent return at the moment...there done...I can keep them all!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1402139158' post='2470345']
I have 12 and can't bring myself to start downsizing though I know that I should...I think I can justify keeping hold of them by telling myself it's a buyers market and everybody else is selling so I can't expect a decent return at the moment...there done...I can keep them all!!
[/quote] if the market is like that I would be a good time to buy a couple more if good deals come up, don't you think?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1402091077' post='2470079']
Makes sense really(doesn't it?). A fretted, a fretless. And one other .
[/quote]

The "And one other" bit will always be your undoing! Deciding which other one will be impossible ...

As BassTractor says, if you really want to rationalise, then it has to be just one fretted and one fretless - and if you don't play fretless (or don't play fretted, come to that) then it has to be just the one!

I've downsize plans to one custom order from ACG which will be here soon.

Can't be annoyed anymore with GAS and associated spiralling costs of frivolous bass hopping.

It's the way to go for me, order what I like about basses in the finish and woods I like and be done with it.
Get so familiar with one bass that you can play it in your sleep, and enjoy it.

I've never been needing to be very capable at fretless although I can play it so I don't that extra fretless.
I don't wana have another just in case bass as that will lead to secondary GAS symptoms.

I also know this is a lot of rubbish, my resolve will weaken and I will likely cave in and feel bad about it.