Why become a member? ×

Why would someone want do this to a 74 Precision?

Eh? Too right its unique. Its bizarre! Or perhaps I'm showing my age...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1974-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar-/251516635245?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a8f8f486d

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1398977896' post='2439729']
Eh? Too right its unique. Its bizarre! Or perhaps I'm showing my age...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1974-Fender-Precision-Bass-Guitar-/251516635245?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a8f8f486d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a8f8f486d[/url]
[/quote]

It's been Craptonised :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398978731' post='2439740']
Not to my taste. :)
I'd hazard that it makes the bass less saleable too, though of course you could refin it however you want - like this guy did.
[/quote]

My thoughts too. I suppose it depends on when the refin was done - if it was years ago then fair enough, but to have had it done recently to me makes it more of a niche market item, now that many seem to like the old battered Fender look .

I quite like it! Its based on the Fender Strat that Eric Clapton used on the George Harrison tribute concert. Although I dont agree it should be done on a 40 year old peice of history, but maybe on a newer less nostalgic model. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1399030922' post='2440169']
What is this "40 year old piece of history" nonsense?
[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's 'nonsense' - you're just not into antiques, are you?
Some people like to collect objects for reasons other than that of their actual purpose. :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1399022146' post='2440005']
Somehow 70's Fenders now have collectable status, but they did make an awful lot of junk for many years.
[/quote]

They made some good basses in the 70s too. The 76P I had for many years was excellent. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1399030922' post='2440169']
What is this "40 year old piece of history" nonsense?

I'm sorry but it's just an old bass that was probably in a battered/worn condition and has certainly been IMO been visually improved by the finish.
[/quote]

Big +1 to this. I keep seeing this with cars now being classed as classic - Granada, early Range Rovers, all sorts of things that were just piles of junk in the first place. This bass now looks great but may well still be a pup.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399031358' post='2440181']
I wouldn't say it's 'nonsense' - you're just not into antiques, are you?
Some people like to collect objects for reasons other than that of their actual purpose. :)

They made some good basses in the 70s too. The 76P I had for many years was excellent. :)
[/quote]

Yes, of course they did, which is probably why a lot that survived were/are the good ones, but surely they are nothing to get precious about?