Why become a member? ×

Why would someone want do this to a 74 Precision?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1399031504' post='2440184']
Yes, of course they did, which is probably why a lot that survived were/are the good ones, but surely they are nothing to get precious about?
[/quote]

Each to his own, I say. Some people get precious about glass paperweights, but it doesn't bother me. Good luck to 'em. :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1399032040' post='2440196']
Plus we don't know what it was like before the refin. It may have had an extra pickup rout, an active conversion or a previous refin. Maybe from the 80s when people weren't so concerned with alleged pieces of musical history!
[/quote]

It may not even have been a bass. The seller refers to it as 'a usable historic timepiece'... which is probably a wind-up. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399031796' post='2440189']
Each to his own, I say. Some people get precious about glass paperweights, but it doesn't bother me. Good luck to 'em. :)
[/quote]

You been trawling some very old threads? :o I'm not precious about my paperweight, I've been trying to identify it to reunite it with the family it originally belonged to (and knew there would be some Italian speakers on here) :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399032318' post='2440200']
It may not even have been a bass. The seller refers to it as 'a usable historic timepiece'... which is probably a wind-up. :D
[/quote]

It certainly seems like the mechanism for some sort of joke....

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1399033452' post='2440230']
You been trawling some very old threads? :o I'm not precious about my paperweight, I've been trying to identify it to reunite it with the family it originally belonged to (and knew there would be some Italian speakers on here) :)
[/quote]

Eh?? No!! :blink: [size=4]- I'm precious about [i]my[/i] paperweights - fiercely protective, in fact! Won't hear a word said against 'em![/size]

Edited by discreet

I can't see the problem with it, I can't see a 74 Precision having any great future value unless it is in exceptional condition, I am currently trying to shift a 79 Precision on Evilbay, it is not an exceptional bass just another old Precision, despite it being offered way cheaper than anything else of that vintage I have had absolutely no sensible interest in it....I doubt it would decrease the value if I had it refinished in some modernist colour scheme.

I think there are the golden years of the Precision which will always go up in value and then there are just Precisions, yes a mint 70's example may have some value but a run of the mill 70's Precision seems to be worth less than a current new example...which to be fair is probably the better instrument

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1399143694' post='2441527']

Your maths would be my guess.
[/quote]
He's right, 30 years isn't old. Don't know why he chose to mention it in here though...

Doesn't the word "antique" technically mean over 100 years old? I suppose I should look that up before I press post...

Edit: It's not technically, but it is common practice to use it as such, apparently. Though it gets bandied about all the time now, so I imagine it'll change, along with every other bloomin' word.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1399139832' post='2441474']
I can't see the problem with it, I can't see a 74 Precision having any great future value unless it is in exceptional condition, I am currently trying to shift a 79 Precision on Evilbay, it is not an exceptional bass just another old Precision, despite it being offered way cheaper than anything else of that vintage I have had absolutely no sensible interest in it....I doubt it would decrease the value if I had it refinished in some modernist colour scheme.

I think there are the golden years of the Precision which will always go up in value and then there are just Precisions, yes a mint 70's example may have some value but a run of the mill 70's Precision seems to be worth less than a current new example...which to be fair is probably the better instrument
[/quote]

If its the Oly white with white plate, I nearly bid on that! I see the starting price has now gone up a bit...? To be honest if I had known at the time it was a BCer I probably would have done but there's that many conmen on ebay it put me off.

Anything 20 years or older is vintage. Apparently. And anything 100 years or older is antique.

So most of the members on this board are vintage. Ha, ha, ha! :D
I suspect a few are antiques too - at least going by their posts. Wooh! Oh, yes!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1399170197' post='2441748']

Because it's 40 years old.
[/quote]
Yes... I don't know why [i]he[/i] chose to mention 30 years in his post, because it is irrelevant due to the bass being 40 years old. Objectively, 30 years isn't old, so in that he was correct, just irrelevant.

I was trying to be humourous but it seems I am as good at humour as Slartibartfast is at threats...

Edited by KingBollock