Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood on Jools = WoW

KiOgon

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1398378324' post='2433618']
Ummm, clever. But would any of you have given them much thought if you hadn't realised that was only a bassist? Would you have simply thought it was a mediocre song from a four piece band, switched your ears off and finished your New Scientist Sudoku Challenge?
[/quote]

Boom. Spot on.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1398379844' post='2433638']
As for the general slagging off of guitarists on here, why all the sperm fountains over a bassist who sounds like one?
[/quote]

The Sperm Fountains - great name for this kind of a band!

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1398382286' post='2433657']
The real test for them is, how they are going to maintain interest for an entire album or live set with such a limited format.
[/quote]

..or indeed the second album

To me, they are basically like a hairier version of The White Stripes but with a bass.

I'm much too old and frightened of loud noises ( and beards) to enjoy this kind of music ( I much prefer that nice Robert Palmer chap from the other thread), but no doubt with similarly orientated young hipsters , this lot will find favour, for a while at least.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1398381231' post='2433649']
I think that after the initial "wow, there's only two of 'em" has passed, the sound they make is actually duller and less interesting to the ear than if they'd just added a guitarist! A pitch shifter is tied to precisely doubling the bass an octave up, with none of the harmonic, tonal or pitch variation that makes the sound bigger and more alive when two instruments play together.
That's not to say that nobody should like the band or the song, just my feelings on their approach...
[/quote]

Not quite true. Using multiple pitch-shifters can create power chords from the bass signal. When I had a go at creating a Royal Blood type sound, I used two pitch-shifters in this way, and it created a thicker sound than simply pitch-shifting one octave up.

Having watched the performance, I think he was using some sort of foot switch to cut the 'bass' sound at various times. Either that, or the pedals themselves where cutting the bass when he played further up the neck, perhaps through some targetted EQ.

As I said in the other thread, he has an amp switch which allows him to route the various signals to the three different amps he uses.

Good luck to them for trying to do something a bit different.

There would be little point adding a guitar to this line up. A melody instrument would make more sense, I would say a sax but that would be too much like Back Door.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1398410412' post='2433750']
There would be little point adding a guitar to this line up. A melody instrument would make more sense, I would say a sax but that would be too much like Back Door.
[/quote]

They should add a kazoo player using a pedalboard so that it sounds like they are being harmonised by a Cor Anglais.

(In case that sounds sarcastic, can I point out that I like their music)

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1398416244' post='2433814']
Missed it the other night. Sky+ is poised ready to record tonight's show. Dying to see what all the fuss is about.
[/quote]

Not much really mate. I was disappointed after what I'd read on here, I thought I'd be blown away.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1398409741' post='2433740']
Not quite true. Using multiple pitch-shifters can create power chords from the bass signal. When I had a go at creating a Royal Blood type sound, I used two pitch-shifters in this way, and it created a thicker sound than simply pitch-shifting one octave up.
[/quote]

Sure, you can use different intervals, but the pitch shifted sound will always be a perfect mathematical multiple of the original, and will be phase-related to it. I was talking more about the small random variations and "slop" between separate instruments that make them sound complex and pleasing together, which this approach misses.

I doubt there would be as much attention if it was another guitar/drum band. Then again, that is the point of the forum.

His sound is decent, but the tone isn't for me. They are doing more than me as a band, so thats great, but I can't match those vocals up to the sound of the band. He can sing, no doubt, it just doesn't work for me.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1398419750' post='2433866']
Sure, you can use different intervals, but the pitch shifted sound will always be a perfect mathematical multiple of the original, and will be phase-related to it. I was talking more about the small random variations and "slop" between separate instruments that make them sound complex and pleasing together, which this approach misses.
[/quote]

Erm, it doesn't have to be a perfect mathematical interval, modern pitch shifters allow any ratio, including modification +/- cents. If there is more random variation and 'slop' required, then a 100% wet chaotic chorus effect on one of the signals will do that. It would be easy to make a Max/MSP patch that has whatever variation is needed.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1398420649' post='2433876']
Erm, it doesn't have to be a perfect mathematical interval, modern pitch shifters allow any ratio, including modification +/- cents. If there is more random variation and 'slop' required, then a 100% wet chaotic chorus effect on one of the signals will do that. It would be easy to make a Max/MSP patch that has whatever variation is needed.
[/quote]

Indeed, you [i]could[/i] do this. But I'm hearing a straight octave-up into some distortion on the videos above, a sound I got tired of very quickly.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1398421016' post='2433886']
Indeed, you [i]could[/i] do this. But I'm hearing a straight octave-up into some distortion on the videos above, a sound I got tired of very quickly.
[/quote]

Ah, I was talking about the technique in general. When I tried it myself, I used two pitch shifters, that had considerable flexibility in terms of frequency.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1398378324' post='2433618']
Ummm, clever. But would any of you have given them much thought if you hadn't realised that was only a bassist?
[/quote]

I didn't realise it was just the two of them, cos I heard before I saw.

He could be playing a kazoo up his ar5e for all I care, it's the sound, the feel and the energy of the tracks I like.

I have to agree though, that they may be a one-trick pony. Time well tell.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1398424474' post='2433922']

He could be playing a kazoo up his ar5e for all I care, it's the sound, the feel and the energy of the tracks I like.

[/quote]

I have to agree with this. I heard the track first before I knew they were a two piece and liked what they are doing. It may become tiresome if the songs don't live up to the hype.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1398424474' post='2433922']

[/quote]

Take it from a man who knows, a kazoo up the arse gives a sound, feel and energy that is totally unique. You can get close to it using the active E.Q on a Wal, but nothing really matches the real thing.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1398425996' post='2433958']Take it from a man who knows, a kazoo up the arse gives a sound, feel and energy that is totally unique.[/quote]

Take what from a man who knows? A used kazoo...?

Don't you just get lots of bum notes?

Edited by planer

i think once you know its only 2 then maybe your inclined to look at them differently, have listened to a fair bit of there stuff now and imo its not boring theres different combos of sounds yes he does go to the high 12th a lot but i actually like that, plus as has been said they would just be another 3 piece rock band. also my tv wasnt great for the sound, so maybe worth listening with headphones as my tv lost alot of the bass so didnt sound as good.

will def grab the album when i get paid later next month

andy

Watched it this morning - after reading much on here - didn't like one bit of it TBH! :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Thought the episode itself was quite poor overall.[/size]

[size=4]Next week - Coldplay. Now there's a band that needs more coverage...... :([/size]