Why become a member? ×

Royal Blood on Jools = WoW

KiOgon

Not seen anything on either first two Later's that have really blown me away yet but it's that sort of show. The young girl jazz singer had a hell of a voice on the most recent one though even if it wasn't a genre I listen to very much (sorry Bilbo).

I watched Jools especially to see these (after many recommendations), and was disappointed...I think they're in danger of becoming seriously over-hyped, and potentially imploding before they've really done anything!

I just feel that as soon as the novelty's worn off, they do just end up sounding like a poor man's Black Keys or White Stripes. Like some others mentioned, I feel like Death From Above already did the "lead bass" thing so much better, and they were a lot more exciting!

Worryingly I thought the best performance of the show was Paulo Nuttini doing "Diana"! :unsure:...

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1398683247' post='2436449']
I watched Jools especially to see these (after many recommendations), and was disappointed...I think they're in danger of becoming seriously over-hyped, and potentially imploding before they've really done anything!

I just feel that as soon as the novelty's worn off, they do just end up sounding like a poor man's Black Keys or White Stripes. Like some others mentioned, I feel like Death From Above already did the "lead bass" thing so much better, and they were a lot more exciting!

Worryingly I thought the best performance of the show was Paulo Nuttini doing "Diana"! :unsure:...
[/quote]

DFA are exactly that, just really exciting, loud and brash.

Royal Blood seem a little safe, not very exciting, and the hype machine could ruin them.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1398385062' post='2433674']

..or indeed the second album

To me, they are basically like a hairier version of The White Stripes but with a bass.

I'm much too old and frightened of loud noises ( and beards) to enjoy this kind of music ( I much prefer that nice Robert Palmer chap from the other thread), but no doubt with similarly orientated young hipsters , this lot will find favour, for a while at least.
[/quote]
I wasn't going to say anything in this thread because I don't really see the point in slagging off music, but... The first thing I thought was a White Stripes comparison, but far, far less interesting. The main thing that put me off was his rather run of the mill voice.

Back in the late 80s I did the lighting for a gig that was a woman playing bass and singing along with a drummer. The drummer got up and played guitar for a couple of songs but otherwise it was just her voice, bass and his drums. They were quite good, it was a fun gig, shame I can't remember their name.

Didn't do anything much for me, I quite liked the staccato unison intro to one of the songs but it didn't sustain my interest beyond that. The problem for me is that I don't really get the point of going to such lengths to make a bass sound like an overdriven guitar, when simply using an overdriven guitar would be a lot simpler - and to be entirely honest, work better.

I thought the drummer was pretty good, so not really getting the White Stripes comparisons!

Jon.

C'mon guys, it's finally some good radio-friendly rock 'n' roll (it's been a little while). This kind of music isn't particularly about creating intricate songs with elaborate soundscapes. It's about creating loud angry riffs. They do that pretty well, with the added bonus of it only being two people, which is quite a cool little niche. I like 'em. :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1398378739' post='2433621']
I'm glad somebody else has said this, I was starting to think it was just me.
[/quote]

nope, me too...

not a patch on this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiaYDPRedWQ[/media]

:shok:

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1398688006' post='2436525']
I thought the drummer was pretty good, so not really getting the White Stripes comparisons!
[/quote]

I assumed the white stripes comment here was because there were two of them, rather than indicating the drummer wasn't very good, which is how I would normally read that comparison.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1398715906' post='2436957']
I assumed the white stripes comment here was because there were two of them, rather than indicating the drummer wasn't very good, which is how I would normally read that comparison.
[/quote]

I was wondering more about why a tight & competent duo would be compared to a pretty much inept one.

J.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1398712418' post='2436896']
C'mon guys, it's finally some good radio-friendly rock 'n' roll (it's been a little while). This kind of music isn't particularly about creating intricate songs with elaborate soundscapes. It's about creating loud angry riffs. They do that pretty well, with the added bonus of it only being two people, which is quite a cool little niche. I like 'em. :)
[/quote]

I like 'em too, great drumming, and a loud guitar, does me nicely. They give some very odd interviews too, which makes me smile. And they're local boys, so I'll wave the RB flag a little more vigorously than I otherwise might.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1398378324' post='2433618']
Ummm, clever. But would any of you have given them much thought if you hadn't realised that was only a bassist? Would you have simply thought it was a mediocre song from a four piece band, switched your ears off and finished your New Scientist Sudoku Challenge?
[/quote]

Have to agree they don't really do anything for me, whereas Death From Above had a really compelling urgency to their sound, I could listen to them all day.