Why become a member? ×

Appearance of you and band on stage - clothing opinions?

Diablo

I play in a very much jeans and T shirt rock covers outfit, and there is no dress code at all, I don't think it has ever been mentioned. Personally I like to appear to have made some effort so I wear decent jeans, leather shoes and a smart casual short sleeve shirt. Feel good - play good that is my motto. When racing I always try to bring the best presented and well prepared outfit, and I suppose that mantra is still evident with music.

Now I'm not talking about looking like Murph and the Magictones, but I'd like to lift the appearance a little and at least get the other guys out of T shirts and into shirts or polo's. For myself I am thinking about getting a couple of shirts made, plain black but with white buttons and black/white chequered collar and highlights. A bit of a nod to my car/bike racing and the 60's rocker movement. It got me onto thinking - I don't think I've read anything here about what people wear and why (music style, personal preference, gig promoter request, can't afford clean clothes etc) and what gives that appearance so punters think that at least the guys made an effort. Or is the point to look like you haven't made an effort..?

Cheers,
Rich

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/ScreenShot2014-01-26at190044_zps2a621cfb.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1969275_832586000090475_1309720978_n_zps338df4ab.jpg[/IMG]

I make an effort to keep myself in shape because I'll be 40 this year and I would rather look a bit ripped than a bit ripply, but I wear what I want to wear. I wouldn't go on stage in dirty clothes and I do wear different clothes depending on the gig, but I wouldn't wear a 'uniform'. I don't play in any bands that would want me to do that anyway, so it's not an issue.

Loud clothing bring back memories of the bassist on the video of "Jump"

http://youtu.be/ap2J9RbXaP4

I like the Hives look, but all the same is it a bit too Robert Palmer? I like Vintage Trouble but of course its been done, and no way will I get the other guys out of denim and into trousers.

BigRedX - I was worried for a minute that you where the guy in the shorts strangling the guitarist...! I've got plenty of leather jackets, but don't you get too hot in all that kit? One would not be wanting betty swollocks half way through a rendition of teenage kicks?

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1397084569' post='2420604']
^^ is that drummer naked..!

I like the common theme, but not looking identical idea.
[/quote]

Almost naked :lol:

Our theme is boots, jeans, black t shirt (usually a rock t shirt) and of course the hats. It's not hard and it does make us look like a band in my opinion.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1397083683' post='2420599']
BigRedX - I was worried for a minute that you where the guy in the shorts strangling the guitarist...! I've got plenty of leather jackets, but don't you get too hot in all that kit? One would not be wanting betty swollocks half way through a rendition of teenage kicks?

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

If I still had the same elegantly wasted body of my youth I could be persuaded to strip down to my pants too.

Regarding the leather jacket, most of the stages we play are too small and too dimly lit to work up much of a sweat, and besides if it does got a bit hot I can take it off at an appropriate point in the set. The PVC trousers are normally far more sweaty than the jacket. I take a towel and a change of clothing to each gig so I can make myself presentable to any members of the audience who want to buy singles and T-shirts after we've played and of course there's nothing worse than felling cold and damp all the way back in the van.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1397095200' post='2420639']
Basic rule of thumb for bands. Dress the same as your audience only 10% more so (unless you're Mr Dick Venom).
[/quote]

I'm going by the rule. 'Dress like the band you wish you were'. Which means I'm usually got up like some sort of minor rock godess while the rest of them are in jeans and t-shirts. For me, if I feel the part more I act the part more. Eventually I might actually be as good as I pretend to be.!

Clothes are a total minefield, getting someone to change their habits can be a real challenge.

I work in the clothing industry, I'd say I take pride in what I wear. But I understand thats not the same for everyone. One thing is for sure, clothes are going to be one of the first things you are judged on weather you are in a band or not.

My advice would be to find images of examples you like, try to keep it general to avoid putting noses out of joint. I'd also say you don't all have to wear matching outfits to look cohesive. Once you have the first "band image" conversation, it usually becomes much easier to talk about.

Edited by stingraybassman

I've seen so many covers bands turning up like tramps its unreal. These guys get paid.

Then you see the well dressed and smart original bands who have an image with the music, and they don't get paid (I'm talking the local small bands...not The Beatles/Hives/Interpol or any other band that wore/wears suits etc).

I've never managed to get a band interested in decent clothing...but not everyone has an interest in fashion I guess.

If I had a choice, fashionable suits all the way.

I think image is very important, anything that sets you apart from everyone else is good. Most people have no idea about music, you need to grab their attention with image, performance and anything else that makes you a better option than staying at home watching tv.
[URL=http://s214.photobucket.com/user/EmmettChristie/media/IMG_24185772411429_zpsba53b2f6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/EmmettChristie/IMG_24185772411429_zpsba53b2f6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
This is my original band.