Why become a member? ×

Appearance of you and band on stage - clothing opinions?

Diablo

My number one rule is that all the band have to buy in to the look and all have to be comfortable in what they are wearing.

Wearing polo shirts or t-shirts with the band name are big no no for me I'm afraid. Excellent for turning up and setting up in and they've helped us quite a few times but not to play in.

And all in the same shirts and suits is a look I would really avoid.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397123978' post='2420832']
If it was just all about the music CDs and records would come in plain white sleeves with the artist name and song titles in some anonymous font. Live performances would be conducted with an opaque curtain separating the performers from the audience.
[/quote]
... and all the bands would have to be called Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, etc

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1397215478' post='2421851']And all in the same shirts and suits is a look I would really avoid. [/quote]

That whirring sound is Brian Epstein spinning in his grave... ;)
Seriously its all a bit horses for courses but I do like to see bands make some effort. I never want to see another beer bellied over 40's rock covers band in spandex again though. I've always tried not to gig in whatever I would normally wear in the street and to make some effort to fit the genre of the band if it has one. The ethic of my current employer seems to be 'wear black and don't take anyone's attention away from the front man' so that's what I do, and don't. As it were. Some types of band seem to always go for matching or semi matching kit. In particular it seems the 'done thing' on the Rockabilly/Rock n Roll circiut where matching bowling shirts with the name of the band embroidered over the breast pocket or on the back seems to be the norm. If anyone talks me into one of those they might just as well take me round the back during the interval and put me down like a lame dog.
I did try to make an effort for crimbo parties though, which is more than the rest of the miserable bastards in my lot did..

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/valexmas13_zps43c32631.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/valexmas13_zps43c32631.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by KevB

I hate it when bands play in their own T Shirts - it's vulgar , somehow , to me but it's only a personal hatred. I don't like jeans because they're too hot to play in so I tend to look like a cross between a flower power hippy and Albert Steptoe wearing a T Shirt with a nob gag on it. I wear a bandana because they're cheaper than hair dye ! Some smart arse bloke once asked me in his best 'I'll impress my mates here' voice.... 'do you get paid to look like that?' to which I replied , 'Yes , of course - by you actually - so what's your excuse for looking a twat?'

We (The Dukes of Haggerd) are a pop/rock covers band. Without any prior discussion on the subject, all of our band turned up at our first "real" gig in chinos/jeans and black t-shirts with brightly coloured logos. Helen (singer) also wore her 14 lace hole Doc Martens and skinny fit jeans - a definite bonus for me viewing from the back line (don't tell the missus!!)

As a result, that is our default position - clothing-wise - except when I feel a bit more avant-garde and I wear a hat from my collection., especially one like this:-

or a pith helmet.

Edited by GrahamT

So many rock/function bands here! My current band was formed while the banjolele player and I were involved in a messy divorce from our previous, a generic pub rock covers jobby.

Thus, and now for something completely different...

Works a treat in bars we play, and needless to say it needs no adaption for weddings, functions etc... I've done the tshirt/jeans/converse thing plenty but nothing suits me like a suit haha B)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1397159279' post='2421371']
A guitarist I know plays Gretsch, Burns Bison, Danelectro etc style guitars, and his rule when shopping for clothes is [i]'it has to match my guitars'[/i]

He has the most impeccable dress sense.
[/quote]

What happens if he needs to change guitars mid-set?