Why become a member? ×

Appearance of you and band on stage - clothing opinions?

Diablo

When playing rock covers, wearing slacks and a button-down shirt is out of place. Ripped jeans and leather jackets or somesuch would be more appropriate.
Try to match your looks and pose to the music you play, look the part or as close to as feasible.

Edit: imnsho naturally ;)

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397122900' post='2420813']
It sounds completely ridiculous, but a bands appearance and attitude can change their popularity completely. I know it should be all about the music, but it isn't.
[/quote]

+1

If I see a band playing in day wear tee shirts, jeans and scruffy trainers, I just think 'You guys are going nowhere'

We're putting on a show, people are good enough to listen to us, so make it look entertaining - is my philosophy.

Decent PA, plenty of lights, snappy clothes = happy punters who are ready to swing their pants

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1397081379' post='2420571']
For myself I am thinking about getting a couple of shirts made, plain black but with white buttons and black/white chequered collar and highlights. A bit of a nod to my car/bike racing and the 60's rocker movement.
[/quote]

A much cheaper option is to get some race-team mechanics' shirts (short-sleeves, breast pockets, loads of sponsors' logos etc.).

I routinely wear a 2005 Honda MotoGP shirt (used to belong to Troy Bayliss, but that's another story) or a 2010 Team KTM shirt.

Wear 'em over a plain white T & jeans and they look excellent, whilst also being very hard-wearing and practical.

Edit: There you go:

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Performance/120210%20George%20IV/TheJunkyardDogstheGeorge10-02-1268.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Performance/120210%20George%20IV/TheJunkyardDogstheGeorge10-02-1268.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397122900' post='2420813']
It sounds completely ridiculous, but a bands appearance and attitude can change their popularity completely. I know it should be all about the music, but it isn't.
[/quote]

If it was just all about the music CDs and records would come in plain white sleeves with the artist name and song titles in some anonymous font. Live performances would be conducted with an opaque curtain separating the performers from the audience.

The Terrortones always turn up to gigs in what we'll be wearing on stage. It makes an impression when we walk into the venue.

Except Mr Venom who wears what he would on stage if he wasn't going to strip down to his underwear.

TBH we all dress in a slightly toned-down version of our stage wear in our day to day lives...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397125068' post='2420851']
The Terrortones always turn up to gigs in what we'll be wearing on stage. It makes an impression when we walk into the venue.

Except Mr Venom who wears what he would on stage if he wasn't going to strip down to his underwear.

TBH we all dress in a slightly toned-down version of our stage wear in our day to day lives...
[/quote]

I dunno big red, I think theres a lot to be said for getting changed before.

Peoples perceptions are always going to be different, whats over the top to some is a strong image to others. Its certainly far easier to get the image thing wrong than right.

Genre will always separate as well, you wouldn't want Metallica dressing like Mumford and Sons. I'd also argue an originals band has a different set of considerations to a working covers band.

Having never been that bothered before in previous bands, we're now full on "uniformed" in Second City Soul, the functions band I'm in. We've put a lot of effort into the image of the band from a marketing and visual side of things and the stage wear is all part of the deal. When people are hiring you at considerable expense for important events such as weddings etc, rucking up in a pair of levis and an old t-shirt "because that's how we roll" isn't either professional or appropriate. IMHO.

We've gone the full monty, even with the "corporate" polo's and hoodies that we use when we're setting up and breaking down (easier for clients and staff to identify the band when we arrive at venues) and TBH, it's made such a difference to how we feel as a unit and how we approach each gig. In fact, I've even gone as far as having my IEMs in the corporate "colours" (with my incoming 1964 Ears with the band logo). Detail, friends, details. ;)

[attachment=159857:scs uniform 1.jpg][attachment=159858:scs uniform 2.jpg][attachment=159860:scs uniform 4.jpg][attachment=159861:scs uniform 5.jpg][attachment=159859:scs uniform 3.jpg]

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1397127125' post='2420889']
[/quote]

Yes and no. A lot of the places we play simply don't have anywhere suitable to get changed in. Also there's not always time to get changed in between arriving at the venue and performing on stage at some of the multi-band gigs we do. However now that we have a decent sized van for us and our equipment that might change.

i think you can get away with almost anythin onstage in the name of showmanship especially if you are a good band, the image grabs attention and the music keeps it and theres nothing wrong with that.

im tryin to get my band to agree on some kind of coherent stage look, but its hard work
Any suggestions for a melodic metal band? :D

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1397127125' post='2420889']

[/quote]

I agree, if possible when we set up and sound check we tend to wear jeans and a band t shirt, almost act like the bands stage crew. Then hopefully we can make a big entrance when we get in to costume.

That's with Metaltech, but it's very similar to how it goes with the wedding band, just very different stage attire.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1397121282' post='2420786']
I think image is very important, anything that sets you apart from everyone else is good. Most people have no idea about music, you need to grab their attention with image, performance and anything else that makes you a better option than staying at home watching tv.
[url="http://s214.photobucket.com/user/EmmettChristie/media/IMG_24185772411429_zpsba53b2f6.jpg.html"][/url]
This is my original band.
[/quote]
This is awesome, great look :^)

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1397123503' post='2420825']If I see a band playing in day wear tee shirts, jeans and scruffy trainers, I just think 'You guys are going nowhere'[/quote]

Not everybody wants to go somewhere though. Some people are perfectly happy playing covers around the local pubs, and the people that go there to watch them are there for a good time and a singalong and generally couldn't give a monkeys what the band are wearing.

Black t-shirt and jeans is the only way in my main band. Anything else looks completely out of place. Iron Maiden t-shirts highly preferable. With the sleeves cut off. I have stick thin upper arms so i keep my sleeves attached. Lead guitarist ALWAYS takes off his top when playing though, so I guess that is his image.

I did do this a couple of times for a laugh...

I'm fairly lucky in the fact that the band i'm in is a Hawkwind Tribute.....pretty much anything goes especially leather flying helmets and goggles, Maybe Turkish trousers on occasion or sometimes even t-shirts and jeans......but it really is horses for courses depending on the seriousness of the band you are in.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1397130047' post='2420944']
I quite like having a 'band uniform' - when I put my gig gear on it's like I'm getting ready for business.
[/quote]

I know what you mean, I played a few songs with my old band a few months ago at their farewell gig, I felt odd not wearing a suit or a costume, very exposed.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1397127239' post='2420890']
Having never been that bothered before in previous bands, we're now full on "uniformed" in Second City Soul, the functions band I'm in. We've put a lot of effort into the image of the band from a marketing and visual side of things and the stage wear is all part of the deal. When people are hiring you at considerable expense for important events such as weddings etc, rucking up in a pair of levis and an old t-shirt "because that's how we roll" isn't either professional or appropriate. IMHO.

We've gone the full monty, even with the "corporate" polo's and hoodies that we use when we're setting up and breaking down (easier for clients and staff to identify the band when we arrive at venues) and TBH, it's made such a difference to how we feel as a unit and how we approach each gig. In fact, I've even gone as far as having my IEMs in the corporate "colours" (with my incoming 1964 Ears with the band logo). Detail, friends, details. ;)
[/quote]

The polo shirts for load ins is actually a pretty good idea, I might nick that - in fact I just have done!

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1397128931' post='2420920']

This is awesome, great look :^)
[/quote]

Thanks, the singer wanted us all in kiss-style make-up but I have a beard, so I painted his makeup on to a mask, saves a lot of time changing too.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397123978' post='2420832']
If it was just all about the music CDs and records would come in plain white sleeves with the artist name and song titles in some anonymous font. Live performances would be conducted with an opaque curtain separating the performers from the audience.
[/quote]

:lol:

Btw, not arguing with you and the above actually is a pretty clever piece of marketing but your post made me think of this :)

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/FacialHair.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/FacialHair.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

OR

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/CountryChurch.gif.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/CountryChurch.gif[/IMG][/URL]

???

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/NakedGuitars.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/NakedGuitars.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

OR

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/KissGoneWrong.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/KissGoneWrong.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Decisions, decisions ...