Why become a member? ×

Why so much buying and selling of basses?

jakenewmanbass

I'm truly intrigued as to the answer to this one, not in an accusatory way, just interested.
I've had a Fender Jazz since 1997 which I love, an Alembic since 2007, which I love.
An 1880 DB since 1996 which I love, and a 1920s DB which I've been rubbish at trying to sell for ages.
I fancy a precision, but will procrastinate for an age before buying.
People seem to swap and sell and buy ad infinitum here... is that a false perception purely because of the size of the forum?
what's the deal... give me your version?

I can imagine that some are searching for 'the one", and having some great pleasure along the way. The used market is flooded at the moment, and as one BC member noted earlier, you can buy and sell, and the sums lost in a transaction can be counted as little more than a "rental" fee.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1397043030' post='2419988']
I can imagine that some are searching for 'the one", and having some great pleasure along the way. The used market is flooded at the moment, and as one BC member noted earlier, you can buy and sell, and the sums lost in a transaction can be counted as little more than a "rental" fee.
[/quote]

This.

I was one of the chief culprits for six years, until I found exactly the bass I needed (a lightweight Mike Lull PJ5 Precision with 35" scale and 19mm string spacing at the bridge).

When I started buying/selling I had absolutely no idea that was where I would end up, The only reason I know that I have now found my perfect bass is that, since buying it I have lost any urgent need to keep trading. I have NOT lost all interest in trying other basses, and I do occasionally buy/sell, but all that frantic trading was me lurching erratically towards my perfect bass.

As for fags, horses and fast women, I'd settle for a woman with a fast neck ...

Some people don't like to sell their stuff once they've bought it whereas others are not so attached and use the proceeds from sales to finance their subsequent purchases, this is what I do. I have a one in, one out policy; if I had kept all my previous guitars and basses there would be no where to sit down :D Do I regret some sales? Yes, mainly guitar ones, but the sale seemed like a good idea at the time; GAS is a cruel mistress. I will add that many of my purchases have been band driven i.e. I bought kit that I considered more appropriate to the band situation I was in.

Edited by ezbass

I take my time buying and getting used to the idea of that bass.
I have in mind that I don't need 3 basses and am very happy with
the 2. I don't plan to sell, so my only question is can I justify the 3..?
They will all be used but probably not all at the same time at a gig.
I take my two and am happy with that.
I am not very likely to buy one and make such a mistake, from my POV, that
I need to sell it on very quickly... but this place does offer up more basses
to view...and also offers the chance to sell again, so spending a
fair amount on a bass is less daunting.

I have my eyes on 2 atm..and am trawling back thru a few months to see if
I have missed what I am looking for.

Top of the list would be a Celinder, Sei J and maybe a Sadowsky or AC.
All in 5 string Jazzes. It may well be that I have to take a bit of a blind punt..
depending where they are, so this stops you in your tracks somewhat.

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1397045215' post='2420019']
Interesting.... strokes chin... B)
[/quote]

In all fairness, Jake, I bet that when you bought your Jazz in 1997 you already knew a little bit about basses and about your own preferences. :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1397045547' post='2420024']
In all fairness, Jake, I bet that when you bought your Jazz in 1997 you already knew a little bit about basses and about your own preferences. :D
[/quote]
Ah you might be on to summat there! :P

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Interesting question. My ACG basses will not be sold as they were my choices. All are played regularly.

I do have a 'rental type bass' which is great as I get to try loks of different basses without breaking the bank or being divorced (or worse). I occasionally make a bit of money on a sale and sometimes loose a bit, but it works for me.

[/quote]

Definitely a +1 to this.

Another factor for me is that I just love a new bass! Buying a new bass seems to spur me on sometimes and gives me loads of happiness.

Though when I buy a new bass I usually think to myself "Maybe this is the one......" then it turns out it isn't when I buy something shiny and new/old.

I enjoy variety. I've sold basses I really like simply because I've had them the longest and they're currently produced so easy to obtain again if it turns out I miss them. I'm not looking for "the one" - I'd dislike having just one - I maintain a constant collection of 10-12 and swap around within those parameters. The number has grown over time because I have either found basses that are "keepers" (and would be a pain to replace, financially or searchwise) or I'm personally invested too much in them (rescue projects).

I had the same couple of basses for all my playing career until I got on Bassworld (the old Basschat). I guess I enjoyed buying but after a period of about 5 or 6 years where I owned an embarrassingly large amount of instruments I realised there was more to life. I have spent an age selling them off and actually downsized the £1500 Fenders for a couple of perfectly adequate / actually pretty decent Squiers. I have no plans to buy any more but still have 2 or 3 instruments that I will list on here / eBay but I've just been spectacularly lazy. I'm not one for bumping sale threads as they'll sell when they sell. It was all good fun whilst it lasted but I think GAS can be a little dangerous. I think 2007-2010 I was certainly a name associated with GAS and NBD, thankfully I would hope I am not now.

I am reading this thread with particular interest, because I am currently musing whether to put one of my basses up for sale on Basschat, my first ever bass sale on this site.

I can't help but wonder if part of the reason I am probably going to try selling it is that I have up to know been missing out on the excitement of trading basses on here. I personally think a lot of people very much enjoy the controlled stress and uncertainty of buying and selling bass gear, in much the same way that many people enjoy gambling. There is undoubtedly a buzz to be had from discarding what you don't want and acquiring what you think will make you happy , and even on the internet ( maybe[i] particularly [/i]on the internet) there is an innate attraction for many people to the bustle of the marketplace.

On the same tack, isn't it great that there is somewhere like Basschat where genuine enthusiasts can trade bass gear between each other and cut out the middleman , hopefully meaning both buyer and seller get a better deal. Anyone who has ever tried doing a part-exchange deal with a shop will know what I mean. Hopefully , selling on Basschat, there is far less chance of being left sucking lemons than if you were dealing with a typical retailer. Maybe that is another reason why some people feel at liberty to buy and sell basses with gay abandon .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1397047164' post='2420059']
I enjoy variety. I've sold basses I really like simply because I've had them the longest and they're currently produced so easy to obtain again if it turns out I miss them. I'm not looking for "the one" - I'd dislike having just one - I maintain a constant collection of 10-12 and swap around within those parameters. The number has grown over time because I have either found basses that are "keepers" (and would be a pain to replace, financially or searchwise) or I'm personally invested too much in them (rescue projects).
[/quote]

Pretty much what Matt said...all my basses have different characters...some work better in certain situations than others..

Having said this I do have over 20 pairs of trainers, 25+ hats/caps and too many jackets...

As a friend of mine says.."[i]everything is nice but more is better..[/i]"

I am 'reasonably' new to the world of basses, having bought my first one about 10 years ago. Since then I have been edging towards my 'perfect bass' in what has become a fairly major campaign of trial and error (lots of error). As time progresses I am getting a clearer idea of what I like and don't like about bass guitars and what all the various makes and models can offer. But I am constantly curious about instruments I have yet to try that ostensibly 'fit the bill' - so keep buying and trying. The problem I have is releasing the ones that don't 'quite' hit the mark as they each have good points, even if they aren't perfect.

[/quote]

That`s been it pretty much for me, and yes, it`s been great fun. I do however agree with the OP, and this point was strengthened by watching Bruce Foxton last night use a bass I`ve seen him use since `97 at least. Find a good-un and stick with it don`t seem a bad way for him.