Why become a member? ×

Too Tall to be a Session Player

Tobiasthegiant

Not fitting a bands image to get the gig has nothing to do with being a session player.
You do sessions on a track.... and you may not even need to play outside a studio.
If you don't get a gig for visual reasons, then that is down to who is doing the hiring
but sessions were traditionally studio dates

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1396127629' post='2410300']
Not fitting a bands image to get the gig has nothing to do with being a session player.
You do sessions on a track.... and you may not even need to play outside a studio.
If you don't get a gig for visual reasons, then that is down to who is doing the hiring
but sessions were traditionally studio dates
[/quote]
Sorry, should have been clearer, meant a session player in a live context. The studio still accepts me. It doesn't judge me, it accepts me for who I am!

Ludicrous. Surely your name gave them a clue? They must be thick.
[size=4]Seriously though, it sounds like an excuse to me. You're not 'too tall' - everyone else is too short. Bloody midgets.[/size]

[size=4][quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1396130045' post='2410323'][/size]Being in a band is like being married to 3 -4 different people.
[/quote]

Yes, and you [i]still [/i]don't get any sex.

Edited by discreet

Sometimes things like this will want average people who blend into the background, leaving the focal point being the actual act. It may not seem right, but that`s occasionally the way life is. It doesn`t seem to have stopped Dave Swift - possibly being both too tall and too bald - from having a darn fine career doing session work.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1396141862' post='2410433']
Sometimes things like this will want average people who blend into the background, leaving the focal point being the actual act. It may not seem right, but that`s occasionally the way life is.
[/quote]

^ This.

im going with Lozz on this one - i wouldnt mind a small wager that the frontsperson of this band is some stroppy little shortarse diva who doesnt like the fact that your vertical excessiveness will distract from their irritatingly indulgent narcissitic exuberance

tea and biscuits anyone? :)

Edited by steve-bbb

I once joined a band (briefly) where I was told that "I was tall and looked like Duff McKagan with that long blonde hair" (a LONG time ago!) but then given instructions to stand at the back. I dyed my hair and quit.

Most bands I've played with have had an image of sorts being an important aspect but this hasn't meant they needed to resort to being idiots.