Why become a member? ×

Basses with close string spacing

Fionn

A question for the community ...

What basses do you know of that have a relatively tight string spacing at the bridge, or are fitted with a bridge which allows you to adjust spacing?

I'm just asking because string spacing at the bridge has become critical to my comfort and technique, and I'd like to know which basses are designed as such. I only ever realise quite how much it affects my playing when I pick up something like a Fender. Are those 19mm? The strings feel miles apart.

I play an old Aria SB, which has a spacing of 16.5mm, and a Warwick with an adjustable bridge which I have set to 17mm. That's about perfect for me. Nut spacing isn't so critical. the Aria has a 45mm nut so the strings run almost parallel, whereas the Warwick nut is 38mm (or thereabouts).

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1395824646' post='2406647']
Keep this coming folks, a nice list of basses for me to avoid - I need room for my sausage fingers to blunder their way around the strings.
[/quote]

Same here - 19mm all the way!

I find Ibanez 5 string spacings unplayably tight (except on the BTB series) so they might be worth a look.

Edited by Bigwan

The closest string spacing I've ever encountered has been on two basses - Alembic Elan 6 and a "vintage" Steinberger XL25A 'narrow' model.

The Alembic was about 16mm, the Steinberger is essentially a 4 string factory retrofitted with 5 string pickups and hardware so maybe even closer - 15.5mm...? Both are challenging to play at first but it's possible to get used to them.

I still have the Steinberger but it's in storage at the moment.

Schaller make a Fender retrofit bridge with variable string spacing by moving the string rollers within each saddle. Hipshot do a similar thing in a heavier bridge and Kahler make a bridge which allows significant string spacing adjustment by moving the saddles.

You're gonna love this one then: I own a Gerald Veasley Signature 6 string from Ibanez. It has probably the closest string spacing on a production model bass. a sublime 14mm!! - I admit that in a moment of need I was about to sell it, but I have to say, I wanna hang on to it because that string spacing is great fun, very fast and makes chordal and solo work interesting. Yes! play it like an octave-down guitar! :) I don't care!! ha!

This will be a good thread :) I like a standard 19mm on 4 strings but a 16.5mm on 5 strings as I tend to play more technically on a 5er (and I'm looking for a 5er as my next purchase!)... Subscribed!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1395822030' post='2406602']
I recently moved on a Warwick Corvette $$ five string as the strings were way to close together for me to play comfortably... Shame really as it was a cracking bass, with a great tone... I just couldn't play the thing :blink: Think I measured it at about 15-16mm.
[/quote]

Said it for me, exactly as above but with Corvette Rockbass fretless 5. Not yet moved it on though... will be a bargain for someone.

I was amazed that with 40+ years playing (bass, guitar, double bass) the few mm difference has thrown my playing. I just gave in and got German Corvette 4 string fretless :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1395868316' post='2407508']
Said it for me, exactly as above but with Corvette Rockbass fretless 5. Not yet moved it on though... will be a bargain for someone.

I was amazed that with 40+ years playing (bass, guitar, double bass) the few mm difference has thrown my playing. I just gave in and got German Corvette 4 string fretless :)
[/quote]

You do know that you can adjust the string spacing on a Warwick bridge, aye?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1395830924' post='2406739']
Same here - 19mm all the way!

I find Ibanez 5 string spacings unplayably tight (except on the BTB series) so they might be worth a look.
[/quote]

I have a K5 and although its a lovely sounding bass, the strings are so close together that it makes me think twice about using it live.I think there is a trade off with Ibanez basses, because they have such fast necks at the expense of string spacing. I guess you just have to get used to it, but I fancy trying a Jazz 5 stringer as they look a lot more comfortable

Rickenbacker
Steinberger
Alembic Series I/ II

Like your SB, they all followed the more parallel neck profile so a bit closer together at the bridge.

Quite a lot of early 5 strings had tight spacing also.

Probably the tightest will indeed be Kiwi's Steinberger XL2-5 - a five string contained within the dimensions of the already tight 4 string neck - it saved them having to make new moulds!!

Cheers

Ed