Why become a member? ×

Music you grew up with.?

bubinga5

My folks didn't listen to anything too out there, a lot of regular stuff from the 60's through to the 80's. Some of it I've never got on with and still don't some that they got right and I've ended up listening to myself including Kate Bush, The Police, Paul Simon and Pink Floyd. I actually made a Spotify playlist called 'Songs from my parents cars' which I put on when I want to feel a bit nostalgic, though I've left out the stuff I wasn't too fond of!

My Dad had a huge collection of 30's Jazz ( Beiderbeck,et al) but worked away a lot so it did not influence my listening. I wore out Beatles for Sale and Rubber Soul in the mid 60's and moved on to stuff as diverse as the Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Faces,The Crusaders and Back Door, to Little Feat and Van Morrison when I went to Leeds in 73 [s]to see bands[/s] study! It was at least a gig a week and a new album weekly too.
Steely Dan at Leeds Uni was a highlight but I remember Colin Bluntstone, Jo Jo Gun, 10 CC, Ace, Bob Marley and the Wailers, John Martyn, Hall & Oates, going to Manchester to see Little Feat, London to see Van Morrison. Somewhere is a list of all the Bands I saw whilst studying.....
Just remembered Grateful Dead at Newcastle City Hall in the early 70's, also Ziggy Stardust Tour too....Mind, could not get into the Dead

Edited by yorks5stringer

My parents were not (are not) into music at all and don't have a music collection at all, or anything to play it on. How weird is that?

I remember them having a Dansette when I was at school ( infants) but the only record I can remember was an LP of the Lone Ranger and Tonto! Then my grandad bought me Last Train To Clarkesville and I must have worn the grooves out playing it.

They did have a 'Stellaphone' reel to reel tape recorder though and I would record songs from the radio. When cassette tapes came out I got a small Bush cassette recorder one christmas and started my 'record' collection by copying friends albums.

By the time I was into my teens (early 70s) I had persuaded my parents to buy a half decent record player and started buying albums instead of singles. My first one was Van der Graaf Generator's 'H to He' ( still a great favourite!) that I bought from a friend and the first shop-bought LP was a reggae sampler called ’Reggae Chartbusters', so I started off with a fairly eclectic tastes and continued with all the classic prog rock bands as well as some of the more obscure ones. I never bought singles though if I heard a single I did like then I would buy the relevant album.

My parent's record player was pretty crappy so I worked one summer holiday stacking shelves in Tesco to save up for a 'proper' separates Hifi system consisting, laughably, of an Amstrad IC2000 amp, a Garrard AP76 deck and Celestion County speakers. But my pride and joy was an Akai 4000DS that my parents bought for me the christmas before 25% VAT was introduced on 'luxury' goods and I used it for multi-track recording the schoolmates band I was in at the time as it had a 'sound on sound' feature ( basically bouncing one track to another). The sound quality wasn't great, unless you liked a lot of hiss from all the track bouncing, but it was fun learning the basics. I even used to play around with splicing tape loops and was amazed how effective it could be when the splice timing was spot-on. Happy days.

I didn't really click with the punk wave in the late 70s. Ramones and Stranglers were the ones I bought before giving up on it altogether in favour of going back to rediscover all the 60s stuff I was just a bit too young to really appreciate at the time. The Beatles albums were a revelation, as I'd only really heard their singles before, as well as the Kinks, Beach Boys etc. it was also the time when I started to seriously listen to the blues and discovered the likes of Buddy Guy on Chess Records, which opened up another huge genre while punk was playing itself out.

My parents were rather puritanical; 'music' was associated with 'pleasure', and therefore suspect. There was a record player (initially a radiogram, and massif...), but only a couple of disks. South Pacific and Kathleen Ferrier. The latter appealed to my Mum more for the pathos of her tragic early death than her singing voice, I felt.
My musical virginity was lost to disks played by my grammar school drop-out chum, Andrew Yeading.; I remember The Yardbirds and Astrud Gilberto particularly. I had a Christmas present of a reel to reel tape recorder, and recorded all sorts of stuff which I listened to all night, whilst asleep. I still can recall the vivid dreams from Peer Gynt, In the Hall of the Mountain King..! Wild stuff, but also Dusty Springfield and Georgy Fame. I was finally awoken by Surrealistic Pillow, an accidental purchase with my first pay packet as an appentice. John Peel helped open the flood gates, and the final straw was the Godshill festival, Isle of Wight. From then on, I was lost to civilisation. The Airplane, Fairport Convention, The Incredible String Band, Grateful Dead, JJ Cale... Bring 'em on... Nowadays I listen with more affection to 'classical' music than modern offerings. I find 3 minutes 20 to be a touch limiting in depth, with a few exceptions. I was never a great FM customer, I suppose...

Dad was not interested but Mum had some records and stand out albums were Frank Sinatra and The Seekers. My first band for me as ELO, then Yes Close to the Edge and Greenslade's Time and Tide (a friend's older brother played me the lps and I liked the artwork as well). HM followed (Maiden, Def Leppard - all really early in their careers with first singles on indie labels etc) as I started to get out to see bands live, then Magnum (Storytellers and Magnum Marauder were favourites), The Enid etc. Fusion followed (Weather Report, Bruford, Brand X) and then Jazz arrived. ,

My father had no interest in music and my mother [i]hated[/i] music...and pretty much everything else. Growing up at home and living with her was quite literally like listening to the demented ravings of a Daily Mail editorial 18 hours a day. She would sit there very night in front of TV ranting about how 'stupid' everyone looked and how 'rubbish' pop music was...but strangely she was quite content to listen to James Last's arrangements of pop tunes ...with all the vocalists removed, of course . There were 5 albums in their collection before me and my brothers and sisters started buying Gary Glitter records.

I was brought up mainly on this...which probably explains a lot...if not [i]everything[/i].

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394375361' post='2390781']
I was brought up mainly on this...which probably explains a lot...if not [i]everything[/i].

[/quote]
Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but Hansi had some excellent musicians in his band over the years.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1394312295' post='2390267']
How dare you mock the Loggins ;-)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E[/media]
[/quote]

Talk about answering your own question.... :D

I actually quite like Danger Zone because it's 80s cheese fun, being bombarded with the Top Gun soundtrack on repeat whilst being locked in a car on the way to Dumfries is a pretty tortuous experience though. Still at least it was better than the SImply Red album my old fella bought and in fairness he did like Spandau Ballet too so there wasn't a total lack of well written tunes.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1394375952' post='2390786']
Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but Hansi had some excellent musicians in his band over the years.
[/quote]

I don't quite know how to reply to this... other than to say I [i]sincerely[/i] believe from the [i]bottom of my heart[/i] that James Last is MUSIC FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE MUSIC.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394376351' post='2390794']
I don't quite know how to reply to this... other than to say I [i]sincerely[/i] believe from the [i]bottom of my heart[/i] that James Last is MUSIC FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE MUSIC.
[/quote]
Yeah, you could well be right but he did have some really excellent musicians in his bands over the years. For any pro musician in the 70s and 80s it was obviously a very good gig to get.

My Dad, who was a dour Yorkshireman, loved The Shadows and thought Cliff Richard ruined them. I agreed with him. He was big on Mario Lanza and the Black and White Minstrels as well. He was in a record club and bought loads of music from the movies, Oklahoma, South Pacific etc. I must have been about ten when he took me to see the Sound of Music and I fell in love with Julie Andrews.
He would take me to gigs when I started in bands with all the gear on the back of a flatbed truck he borrowed from work, picking up everyone and dropping them home afterwards. He sat in the truck during gigs rolling his fags for the rest of the week. He only came to one gig though with the rest of the family and they left at the interval as it was too loud for them. Afterwards,he was telling anyone who would listen how great the band were and how proud he was of us. We lost him in 2007 to cancer on his 84th birthday and I miss the bones of him.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1394378776' post='2390819']
My Dad, who was a dour Yorkshireman, . . . . . . would take me to gigs when I started in bands with all the gear on the back of a flatbed truck he borrowed from work, picking up everyone and dropping them home afterwards. He sat in the truck during gigs rolling his fags for the rest of the week. He only came to one gig though with the rest of the family and they left at the interval as it was too loud for them. Afterwards,he was telling anyone who would listen how great the band were and how proud he was of us. We lost him in 2007 to cancer on his 84th birthday and I miss the bones of him.
[/quote]

Lovely story. Sounds like a great Dad!!!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1394376800' post='2390797']
Yeah, you could well be right but he did have some really excellent musicians in his bands over the years. For any pro musician in the 70s and 80s it was obviously a very good gig to get.
[/quote]

I'm sure it was. Okay if you have absolutely no conscience or sense of shame and didn't mind being in the service of the very devil himself. James Last hammered more nails in to the coffin of good music than Midge Ure and the entire Live Aid concert. I just hope those musicians who had a hand in that conspiracy have difficulty sleeping at night.. just like the poor victims who were subjected to James Last records by cruel, heartless mothers in the satellite towns and conurbations of this great nation of ours.

Edited by Spoombung

I seem to be the odd one out, my parents never really listened to music, my dad likes Smooth FM, so that describes his musical taste (or lack of :)).

I only got into music through school, and hearing it played on the radio.

Then my aunt and uncle gave me my auntie's old record deck and a stack of records, mostly stuff that I didn't actually like, but it started me off :) .

[/quote]

My dad liked/likes him, so yes :) .

Though he did have some brilliant musicians playing in his band, and I'm sure I heard somewhere that it was a really great gig to get.

Edited by ambient

My dad liked trad jazz of the blandest kind and my mum anything classical that wasn't too much hard work in the melody department.

However they rarely listened to any music in the house and we never had the radio on. I can't remember showing any interest in music at all until at the age of 10 I went on scout camp where Radio 1 was on all day every day for the whole week. I came back a fan of TRex, Slade and The Sweet.

My parents hated my new found interest in pop music and did everything they could to discourage it. Eventually they grudgingly bought me an acoustic guitar for my 14th Birthday, but that was as far as it went. Everything I have done musically has been through my own sheer determination and hard work.

These days my mum is much more relaxed about my musical pursuits, although I still jokingly tell her that if I hadn't had to fight so hard against them when I was younger to be able to play guitar, I might have grown out of it by now!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394381357' post='2390842']

I'm sure it was. Okay if you have absolutely no conscience or sense of shame and didn't mind being in the service of the very devil himself. James Last hammered more nails in to the coffin of good music than Midge Ure and the entire Live Aid concert. I just hope those musicians who had a hand in that conspiracy have difficulty sleeping at night.. just like the poor victims who were subjected to James Last records by cruel, heartless mothers in the satellite towns and conurbations of this great nation of ours.
[/quote]His early 70s album 'Well Kept Secret' was a surprise when my dad got it; jazz/rock fusion with mainly just the band, not the full orchestra, not bad IIRC, certainly a departure from the hundreds of other MOR albums he released

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1394381357' post='2390842']
[/quote]
I can honestly say that i'd rather have seen the James Last Orchestra than been subjected to most of those who appeared at Live Aid (Queen most definitely included in that). I'd rather have people listening to James Last than nothing at all if only for the chance that somehow, somewhere someone might think that by listening to Hansi that they might want to discover some other forms of music. I admit that it's long musical journey from James Last to Sun Ra to the Globe Unity Orchestra but it could happen. :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394281743' post='2389828']
It's largely about what one's family listened to in the house... Harry Nilsson, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Beatles, Carpenters, various movie themes... and what one bought on vinyl as a kid at the time... TRex, Slade, Bowie, Alice Cooper...

It worries me a little that today's families don't listen to music in the same way that mine did, i.e. as a communal thing, all together in one room. Now it seems to be a much more insular and remote experience, usually while staring at a screen of some type. Shame!
[/quote]

Great post Discreet. Frank Sinatra, Wally Whyton on Radio 2, Humphrey Lyttleton on the bandstand at Bishops Palace Park, Fulham, Long John Baldry on the bandstand in Hornimans Gardens, Forest Hill, then on to BB King on my own at the Capital Radio Jazz Festival at Alexandra Palace, Stravinsky and Haydn for O Level music and now the weirdest, most varied of taste in music :)

[/quote]

That's at least 70 million people who 'don't like music' then.

[i]According to the British Hit Singles & Albums book, he has reportedly sold in excess of seventy million albums worldwide[sup].[/sup][/i]

[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Last#cite_note-British_Hit_Singles_.26_Albums-1"]http://en.wikipedia....es_.26_Albums-1[/url][/sup]

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1394392388' post='2390974']

That's at least 70 million people who 'don't like music' then.

[i]According to the British Hit Singles & Albums book, he has reportedly sold in excess of seventy million albums worldwide[sup].[/sup][/i]

[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Last#cite_note-British_Hit_Singles_.26_Albums-1"]http://en.wikipedia....es_.26_Albums-1[/url][/sup]
[/quote]

Ok, there's something wrong with me then. :)

My parents would buy music but rarely listen to what they bought, except for the odd occation when my mum and me would sit in their bedroom and listen to the country compilation album they had, I was the only one that actually bothered with any off it. Most of it was compilations of country music and stuff from the 60s and 70s. The only regular music was the top 20 on a sunday that my mum and me would listen to while cooking dinner, the Yorkshires were my job.

My dad seemed to desperately want to be seen as a music fan, hence buying all the records, he was the same with books, we had shelves full of them and only I used to read them, and got mocked for it. My dad would buy instruments, too, but he never bothered to learn to play them, and we weren't really allowed to touch them. He was the reason I learned to play bass, though, because he decided he wanted to manage a band and forced my brothers and me to learn instruments.

At the age of 11 I discovered heavy metal, what my mum called "messy music", and even though they hated it they encouraged me and bought me a stereo. I was a Dio and Motorhead fan but the only metal band my parents had heard of was Iron Maiden. I'd never heard of them, I had never met anyone else who liked heavy metal, but before I knew it I had Iron Maiden albums and videos coming out my ears, fortunately I liked them once I'd heard them.

At 12 I was bought a bass and by 13 my dad had given up the idea of managing a band and I starting joining proper bands.

It would be nice the believe that my parents bought music and books to encourage us kids, but my dad is just too conceited and ain't that thoughtful.