Why become a member? ×

Music you grew up with.?

bubinga5

i knew as soon as i heard Donny Hathaway back in New Zealand in 1978 i loved music.back then my mum was playing Bobby Womack a lot . it was pretty much a done deal, i guess for my young brain. i think its such an important thing when you listen to music when your a nipper, to listen to good music. . not sure if being subjected to a certain type of music gives you a certain musical perspective,? but thats another thread.

anyway when i was a teenager, my sister who has the best taste in music ever imo, introduced this music to me. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYLjcgxZG70[/media]

what was your upbringing into music.?

Edited by bubinga5

It's largely about what one's family listened to in the house... Harry Nilsson, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Beatles, Carpenters, various movie themes... and what one bought on vinyl as a kid at the time... TRex, Slade, Bowie, Alice Cooper...

It worries me a little that today's families don't listen to music in the same way that mine did, i.e. as a communal thing, all together in one room. Now it seems to be a much more insular and remote experience, usually while staring at a screen of some type. Shame!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394281743' post='2389828']
It's largely about what one's family listened to in the house... Harry Nilsson, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Beatles, Carpenters, various movie themes... and what one bought on vinyl as a kid at the time... TRex, Slade, Bowie, Alice Cooper...

It worries me a little that today's families don't listen to music in the same way that mine did, i.e. as a communal thing, all together in one room. Now it seems to be a much more insular and remote experience, usually while staring at a screen or some type. Shame!
[/quote]i totally agree. i don't like the thought that younger people are not experiencing great music, nothing to do with taste, just quality. when i was young we used to have a family roast on a sunday and had Bach, or Micheal Mcdonald on the stereo. im sure i sound like an out of touch oldie.

Edited by bubinga5

My parents were born in the 1920's and became adults (in every sense of the word) during WWII.
They were massive fans of dance band music, and even met at a dance.
So, I grew up listening to Glenn Miller and other bands of that era.
I've always had a soft spot for the smooth, lush sounds of Miller in particular.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1394282081' post='2389832']
...I've always had a soft spot for the smooth, lush sounds of Miller in particular.
[/quote]

I'd choose Glenn Miliband over Ed Miliband any day of the week.

TAXI!

Edited by discreet

I grew up listening to my mums country and western records. Particularly Lefty Frizzell and Little Jimmy Dickens <_<
I recall she did get DSOTM when it first came out.
I later got into the ska stuff when I was about 15, The Specials and Madness were my favs! :D

My parents' have always had awful taste in music (Cher, Michael Bolton, Kenny Loggins....) so car journeys were a nightmare until I got a Gameboy and some headphones for Christmas. I'm making sure my little'un grows up with decent music around her, her favourite song is Peek-a-Boo by Devo and she also likes De La Soul.

Although currently she's fixated on Aquabats, no bad thing really.

My dad was a big band fan, his favourite was The Ted Heath Orchestra who were 'heavy' by big band standards; I still love that sound. He was also a Les Paul & Mary Ford and Chet Atkins fan, so my introduction to guitar started early. Once I started playing the guitar I became a blues fan via Eric Clapton which then got my dad into him; he was not a musical stick in the mud and would give anything a listen and then take it or leave it. In short it's all my dad's fault - he was a great man :)

My dear old Mum loved the sound of music and I was dragged off to the flicks to see it - she then proceeded to play the album constantly. I hated it. What a dumb prick I must have been - the songs are excellent. It must have left an impression - I've always been into songs with strong melodys above anything else. Not interested in technical challenges at all. Meanwhile , Dad was watching the Black and White Minstrel show and playing their albums - all of which I loved. Thus - I learned the importance of being an entertainer. I expect Rio Ferdinand - bless - will have something to say on twitter about that but I couldn't give less of a toss. What I saw was people being great entertainers , no more , no less. The first music of my own I got into was Slade. Loud , melodic , ugly buggers dressed like circus clowns who danced about like a bunch of chimps. I wanted to be like them.... and guess what ?!!!

My Dad was into prog rock in a big way - Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd in particular. I grew up loathing it and still do, but my brother loves it. My Mum listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac and Del Shannon, which I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to but it does evoke memories of long journeys in my parents car as a kid whenever I hear it.

I grew up listening to most of the 80s pop music from Depeche Mode & The Human League to Talking Heads & Marillion. Just about anything you could mention, I was subject to it.
I really enjoyed the early electronic era & loved Tangerine Dream, J M Jarre & most of the techno/house from the 90s.
Who knows why I took up bass? I loved my synths! I suppose it was my love for rock & metal as a teenager. :)

My dad loves jazz and my mum likes opera and classical music, but both of them always encouraged my love of music, whatever style it might have been.

Interestingly enough, we always talked about music far more than we ever listened to it together. I suppose the only time most families communally listen to music is when it comes on the television. I know some families listen to music during Sunday lunch, but for us it would have got in the way of the arguing and spoiled the meal completely.

.It seems a bit strange to me that there are so many young people now with exactly the same taste in music as their parents. It's as if the time has stood still at a certain point of rock music history and everyone has decided that enough is enough and there is nothing new to be discovered or developed, Who knows, they might be right, but to my sensibilities, young people aught to be listening to music older people don't like, can't understand and are a bit frightened of. Except for electronic rave music that just goes thump, thump, thump. That really is rubbish.

Edited by Dingus

My mum got me into some good music, she used to listen to a lot of Motown, Cream and The Rolling Stones. My dad used to work away a lot so on saturday nights he'd take my mum out, and every week without fail he'd come into my room to put his Fats Domino record on to listen to while he had a bath and got ready. Whenever I hear the opening piano part of Blue Monday now it puts a big smile on my face and takes me straight back to that time.

My Dad ,who sadly passed away last summer, always listened to the Beatles, ABBA,ELO , Stylistics and Dire Straits, and although as a teenager I got into heavy rock/ metal ( in about 1983 ), I've always had a particular love of the rock bands with the best vocals/vocal arrangements,such as Kings X, Mr Big, Dokken, Pearl Jam,Alter Bridge, Porcupine Tree..... I like to think because of my younger days.

Great idea for a thread by the way, thanks!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1394284539' post='2389861']
In short it's all my dad's fault - he was a great man :)
[/quote] That's the problem isn't it. The 'was'. Same with my Dad. Unlike yours he certainly was a musical stick in the mud. He used to watch pop bands on TV and remark to nobody in articular 'They've just found a cure for that'. He's moan on about how George Formby didn't need amplifiers and all that nonsense. He went to see him once - I asked him what he was like and he said 'Don't know - I could hardly hear him' !! Classic. Despite all that - he did nothing but encourage me. He bought my first guitar even though he was out of work at the time. He made speaker cabs for me , ferried me about like a bloody taxi driver. He made the brass nut on my 73 Precision from the latch on a building site bog door. My most treasured thing - you'd have to prize it out of my cold , dead hand to get it. He managed to make my very wild 40th birthday party cum gig. He left during the 2nd spot and as he did I introduced him to everyone - got a massive cheer. My wife saw him to a taxi and said there were tears in his eyes. She asked him what was up and he just said 'That's our lad playing in there'. I fill up even thinking about it. Amazing how many of us forget the real influence our folks have made on our music - even if it wasn't strictly a musical one. It seems some of us followed their lead musically - others went in the opposite direction - being the rebel I suppose - but that sort of influence isn't a negative one in my opinion.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1394291002' post='2389953']
That's the problem isn't it. The 'was'. Same with my Dad. Unlike yours he certainly was a musical stick in the mud. He used to watch pop bands on TV and remark to nobody in articular 'They've just found a cure for that'. He's moan on about how George Formby didn't need amplifiers and all that nonsense. He went to see him once - I asked him what he was like and he said 'Don't know - I could hardly hear him' !! Classic. Despite all that - he did nothing but encourage me. He bought my first guitar even though he was out of work at the time. He made speaker cabs for me , ferried me about like a bloody taxi driver. He made the brass nut on my 73 Precision from the latch on a building site bog door. My most treasured thing - you'd have to prize it out of my cold , dead hand to get it. He managed to make my very wild 40th birthday party cum gig. He left during the 2nd spot and as he did I introduced him to everyone - got a massive cheer. My wife saw him to a taxi and said there were tears in his eyes. She asked him what was up and he just said 'That's our lad playing in there'. I fill up even thinking about it. Amazing how many of us forget the real influence our folks have made on our music - even if it wasn't strictly a musical one. It seems some of us followed their lead musically - others went in the opposite direction - being the rebel I suppose - but that sort of influence isn't a negative one in my opinion.
[/quote]Nice memories Doc, thanks for sharing.

Uhhh, My Ma was a Hipster to the end so i heard the "new" stuff from the 80's through 90's early punk, and a bitty of grunge.
Me old man he was more a Pink Floyd, T-Rex, ELO, Moody blues, Travelling Wilburies kinda bloke.
My musical taste varies from them both as i listen to a massively wide variety though i have certainly taken some influence from them both and added to it.

My dad is a scouser and a fine guitarist. He played in the whole Merseybeat thing in the 60s (he was in a band called the Mafia!). Like most scousers at the time, he was well into American music - anything that seemed exotic and hip. When I was growing up, it was to a sonic backdrop of Little Feat (I'm sure that is was Feat that put the groove in my heart), Steely Dan, Captain Beefheart, Ry Cooder etc. Of course, we had the Beatles as a staple. For some reason, he hated the Stones though...never could figure that one out. As a kid, I thought it was all great - to be honest, I thought it was what everyone listened to!

He also tolerated my teenage flirtations with extreme Death Metal and the like. Fair play.

Edited by leroybasslines